• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tune into "FLIP THIS BOOK" - USM #33 CGC 9.8 WP

57 posts in this topic

I figure that the $100 mark is approximately how much the $80 buyer would have to sell for to make any profit.

Who said anything about an $80 buyer or making a profit? Stop clouding the issue. poke2.gif

Here is what you said: "You are currently experiencing the peak of hype. That book will almost certainly never be worth significantly more than it is now, and in a year's time, will be worth far less. It is not a good investment."

...and I said: "Not true. I would expect it to spike when every other comic affected by movie hype spikes...a few months before the film comes out."

Nothing about profit, $80 purchases, sustained 9.8 sales, or over $100 sales...just that he is better off selling in about 6 months when the book will top out, as opposed to now where the book still has some room to grow. I can back this up with virtually every other book in the past few years that experienced spikes due to movie hype. That's it. Nothing to argue over really. confused-smiley-013.gif

Since I was the one who made the initial comment about the book not being a good investment at this time, the $100 figure is actually relevant to what I said. It may or may not have anything to do with what you said, but who cares? I do not think this book will be worth significantly more in February or March than it is right now, assuming that the recent $80 sale is what the book is currently worth.

As far as your statement concerning other books like DD#168 selling best 3-4 months before the movie release, I think you may want to check your figures. DD#168 in CGC 9.6 and 9.4 did not see a spike before the Elektra movie. It has been on a steady downslope in both grades since 2002. (There weren't enough CGC 9.8 sales to use as data points.)

Amazing Spider-Man #129 in CGC 9.8 sold for $7,099 in January 2004. The Punisher movie came out in April 2004. Another CGC 9.8 copy sold four days after the movie was released for $8,980.00. That's about $1900 more than it sold for during the "hot" period of 3-4 months before the release of the film. And it sold for $10,350 a year after the movie came out. CGC 9.6 copies were more prevalent, and the highest price ever for a CGC 9.6 copy was $3,220 on April 2, 2004, two weeks before the movie was released. During the "hot period" 3-4 months before the movie release, it was selling for about $1,000 less than that. The point here is that these books are not following the same pattern.

San Diego Comic-Con Comics #2 (first Hellboy) sold in CGC 9.8 for $611 on April 2, 2004, the day the movie came out. Biggest sales price realized ever, by far. Another copy selling the month before sold for $406. Another copy in September 2003 sold for $300. The book now sells for around $340. One CGC 9.6 copy sold for $150 in January 2004. In April 2004, a CGC 9.6 copy sold for $87. Then in June 2004, another CGC 9.6 copy sold for $127.50. OK, here you've got one copy selling three months before release at a record price. Hardly a pattern though.

I don't know what book you're referring to for X-2. Care to elaborate? I also don't know what "etc." means. What other books follow this 3-4 month before release hot zone pattern?

I honeslty don't have the energy to read through your facts or compose a response. Too much effort for a dumb argument on a topic I don't really care about.

Soooo.....have a good friday night. flowerred.gif I am going to go get drunk. thumbsup2.gif

Soooo.....have a good friday night. flowerred.gif I am going to go get drunk. thumbsup2.gif

Translation: I want to look cool in front of my forum peers. Really it's an early night for me reading Devil Dinosaur.

Exposed! 893whatthe.gif

Well, at least I won't be reading it in a bathrobe, that's more than you can say.

"As far as your statement concerning other books like DD#168 selling best 3-4 months before the movie release, I think you may want to check your figures. DD#168 in CGC 9.6 and 9.4 did not see a spike before the Elektra movie. It has been on a steady downslope in both grades since 2002. (There weren't enough CGC 9.8 sales to use as data points.)"

Wouldn't the spike have been before the DD movie?

"As far as your statement concerning other books like DD#168 selling best 3-4 months before the movie release, I think you may want to check your figures. DD#168 in CGC 9.6 and 9.4 did not see a spike before the Elektra movie. It has been on a steady downslope in both grades since 2002. (There weren't enough CGC 9.8 sales to use as data points.)"

Yup. Miller DDs went through the roof prior to the Daredevil movie. Anyone that was on the ball made a killing. The day after the movie came out...it was over.

Being that everyone already knows that Venom will be in Spidey 3, I think the 'hype' is right about now.

ASM 300's in 9.8 are going for $1300+ right now. If I owned one...it would be on Ebay tomorrow.

Yup. Miller DDs went through the roof prior to the Daredevil movie. Anyone that was on the ball made a killing. The day after the movie came out...it was over.

Being that everyone already knows that Venom will be in Spidey 3, I think the 'hype' is right about now.

ASM 300's in 9.8 are going for $1300+ right now. If I owned one...it would be on Ebay tomorrow.

893naughty-thumb.gifsumo.gif

I'd be keeping it and showing it to all the ones who aint got one.

And then say "In your dreams". yay.gif

I agree ASM 300 is at its peak right now and will take a huge dip in price once all the hype is over

$1300 for that book is silly money. Sell it & buy yourself a nice 9.4 once the hype dies down. Use the change to buy yourself an decent copy of AF 15

$1300 for that book is silly money. Sell it & buy yourself a nice 9.4 once the hype dies down. Use the change to buy yourself an decent copy of AF 15

27_laughing.gif yeah. If I knew i'd get $90 out of my ASM 300, I would. Or close to 90.

And yes, I would def. buy a HG 300.

Dunno bout the AF though haha.

Considering the price I did get this book at, I could get it CGCed since CGC copies go for more. Which means I woulden';t lose any money either.

27_laughing.gif yeah. If I knew i'd get $90 out of my ASM 300, I would. Or close to 90.

And yes, I would def. buy a HG 300.

Dunno bout the AF though haha.

Considering the price I did get this book at, I could get it CGCed since CGC copies go for more. Which means I woulden';t lose any money either.

If you are serious about selling it then shoot me some scans and i'll make you a fair offer.

For $1300, you could buy the nicest Hulk 181 in CGC 9.2W you could find, and a NM copy of ASM 300 once the hype dies down.

Venom is cool & all, but the character was pretty much completely ruined in the 90's.

You could also get an X-men 101 in CGC 9.6 with cash left over. grin.gif