• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is A Full Run's Value Determined Just By The Total Value Of Each Book....

12 posts in this topic

times the number of issues in the series?? Or is a full run worth more (or less?) than that?

I've always thought that showing a price for the completed, full run say in mid grade, would be a valuable addition to the values shown in the Overstreet Guide. It seems that some full runs go for much less than the sum of the total number of books. On the other hand, I've seen full runs that have commanded a premium and seem to be worth more than the total price of each issue times the number of books in the series. So what determine's the value of a full run and is a full run worth a premium once completed??

Anyone else with any thoughts on the matter?? Thanks everyone!!

I'd imagine it depends to some extent on the length of the complete run and the number of key or unusually hard-to-find issues. A nice-grade run of some short-lived silver/bronze DC title would do better sold as a set, compared to its value sold as single issues, than say FF #1-103 or X-Men #1-66. Or I could be wrong?

I think that comic collectors have always been more focused on keys and first issues and that there really isn't large (if any) added value on complete runs for more titles. While is is cool to try and collect a complete run having a complete run doesn't add to the value of the comics individually.

Overstreet actually did try to promote the idea that collecting a complete run was the way to go. In the early Price Guides the top 50 or 100 comic values were listed by runs, not individual issues.

Think of it from the point of view of every potential buyer. A full set to get full value needs competing buyers who have zero of very few issues who want the entire run in the grades that you have.

vs

Buyers who are highly interested in the title but have holes or want to upgrade (downgrade?) various issues.

Buying a full run almost by definition attracts a passive buyer who just "sort of" wants the whole run. Whereas the passionate collector is one who has been buying issues for the last 10 years and needs about 10 more to complete his run. Who do you think is going to spend more money?

Also, the big boys probably have full runs and pretty much sell seperately - that should say something too. As a seller by selling a complete run you deal with only one buyer/order and the time it takes overall is probably quicker. Time value of money and all that.

I don't think a 'full run' will be any different. confused-smiley-013.gif

It wouldn't be, but here's the problem: once you break up a run, you have to sell the whole thing individually. You can't sell half the issues and blow out the rest in bulk, because nobody is going to want the leftovers. You have two choices. You can sell the run as a whole and make maybe 50% of the breakup value (but it's easy) or you can piece it out, make more money, have more work, and run the risk of getting stuck with a bunch of worthless issues in the end. It really depends on the run. The more common and less valuable the issues are individually, the better off you are selling as a run. The more valuable and less common the issues are, the better off you are breaking it up.

ASM 1-100? Break it up.

X-Force 1-100? Sell as a run.

It wouldn't be, but here's the problem: once you break up a run, you have to sell the whole thing individually. You can't sell half the issues and blow out the rest in bulk, because nobody is going to want the leftovers. You have two choices. You can sell the run as a whole and make maybe 50% of the breakup value (but it's easy) or you can piece it out, make more money, have more work, and run the risk of getting stuck with a bunch of worthless issues in the end. It really depends on the run. The more common and less valuable the issues are individually, the better off you are selling as a run. The more valuable and less common the issues are, the better off you are breaking it up.

ASM 1-100? Break it up.

ditoo... thumbsup2.gif

regards

ASM 1-100? Break it up.

I agree of course . . . a simple time-cost analysis grin.gif

I rarely, if ever, sell lots . . . of course, I don't even know what X-Force 1-100 is insane.gif