• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

showcase newengland auction...

28 posts in this topic

what is going on with showcase newenglands auctions the last few times. it seems one person is sinning all the auctions...and bidding in my opinion. crazy prices on everything he is bidding on. i have seen auctions end with crazy final bids. hes winning thousands of dollars worth of books eack time out. worst yet...hes bidding on lots i have my eye on!!!! some are going off right now...and its more of the same....

Christo_pull_hair.gif

If you are talking about the person with Ebay ID - pastimperfect7, he did the same thing the other day on a group of books I was bidding on from another seller. He is stupid. I checked and he was bidding on and winning about 80 auctions from this one seller. That would make me worry if I were the seller. In some cases the prices he was paying were about 110% Overstreet value. Either this guy just came into some money or he's about to have hundreds of negative feedbacks.

Although I haven't bid on any of their auctions in a while, I had a couple of SNE's auctions on my watch list yesterday because they were so low, then about 5 minutes before the auctions ended, blam! prices tripled. I looked to see who the dummy was that was placed such over-inflated bids and it was the same guy. I looked again at the stuff he was bidding on this morning and he was winning over 40 of SNE's auctions. He was bidding on 83 auctions total from a couple different sellers and winning about 95% of them. These are BA comics that you can find almost everyday on Ebay. I didn't understand it either.

I'm thinking about putting a few bids in on every book he's bidding on just to make him pay. Makes me mad he sniped every dang auction I bid on the other day. Of course, that would be wrong and I won't, but I want to.

are you suggesting that Dan might have a friend who knows the true value of the books that he sells, and bids accordingly

If he does than his eBay fees are going to be way out of proportion to what he is selling. Then again, even if his overhead tripled to like 30% it is irrelevant for the prices he does get on legitimate wins.

Assuming there are legitimate wins.

Let me be clear I am just speculating. The end prices on his listings compared to everyone else's sure does invite speculation.

are you suggesting that Dan might have a friend who knows the true value of the books that he sells, and bids accordingly

No, this guy is just nuts. My brother-in-law has quite a bit of money and does this kind of thing from time to time. He once decided he wanted to learn how to play chess, so he bought $800 worth of chess books on Ebay in one day.

I'm not sure that's the case with this guy. I'm expecting to get a couple second chance offers from the books I bid on the other day from another seller. I think the guy just puts $100 or more on every auction he bids on and then let's it ride.

this guy won over 8000. in one day of showcases auctions...the next day...had to be close to 8000. again. check the finished showcase new englang auctions,,,every auction was soooo far over guide. now hes back bidding on even more books. whole runs. people here think showcase have people bid up there stuff?

this guy won over 8000. in one day of showcases auctions...the next day...had to be close to 8000. again. check the finished showcase new englang auctions,,,every auction was soooo far over guide. now hes back bidding on even more books. whole runs. people here think showcase have people bid up there stuff?
893whatthe.gif This certainly doesn't sound normal to me.

I've never seen any evidence of that before. I always felt their auctions were fair, even if they went for too-high prices. Besides, winning all these auctions wouldn't be doing them any good.

I think this is just some crazy dude with

a) a lot of money to spend or

b) gonna have a lot of negs!

I would call this guy crazy if I hadn't done a similar thing when I started collecting back-issues back in 2003. I swear I had 4 consecutive days where I received in excess of 25 packages each day. Some of those books weren't cheap either (Iron Man #1 CGC 9.0, Batman #27 CGC 8.0, etc.).

I bet this guy came into a lot of money all of a sudden and doesn't know how to control himself. I had a similar experience when my engagement broke off and my house money all of a sudden became comic book money. insane.gif