• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What software will help me hack the planet to find certain comics ?

11 posts in this topic

Hello all,

As an avid Ebay user, one of my favorite features is the "add to favorites" list, which automatically sends me an email when a comic I have on my want list becomes available as a new listing...usually recieve the email within 24 hours.

I have heard there is software available that operates just like the Ebay search, but scans the entire internet....so if I'm look for an All American 16, and one becomes available thru an auction house that has internet bidding or exposure, I would receive an email even if the book never ends up on Ebay.

I use AOL / DSL if that makes a difference.

Any reccomendations you guys have, and / or experience with this would be greatly appreciated thumbsup2.gif

My site is just a search, no want list...yet. Maybe I'll build it next year.

btw - no need to use the beta page, just go to http://www.comicseeker.com

thumbsup2.gif

A wantlist system with an interface that big dealers could use to feed into the system would be awesome. Of course, getting the dealers to actually pay their webmasters to add that functionality to the sites would probably be a stretch (and for the dealers who just use static web pages for catalogs, impossible), but it would be pretty cool. Of course, you could make it pretty easy on them by doing it as a webservice and having asp/asp.net/php sample code that would feed the service available for them to paste into their "inventory add" screens, but even that might be a tough sell.

I considered starting something like this, but work has me pretty swamped and I'm also VERY lazy. grin.gif

google ?

Actually, this worked for me one time. I once lost out on a mid grade copy of Planet Comics #65 on Ebay, and couldn't locate another copy on all the major dealer websites. I then performed a search on "Google" and found some guy selling 3 or 4 GA books on his small web site. I contacted the person via e-mail and purchased his copy for a reasonable price. I got the book for less money and higher grade (later according to CGC) than the Ebay auction. confused-smiley-013.gif

thumbsup2.gif

How about when BINS are listed on eBay so you could an e-mail as soon as something you are looking for is listed. Sometimes these BIN's last for 10 minutes if the price is great. I want that feature!

thumbsup2.gif

Comicseeker,

1st of all, I checked out your site..nice! I don't know what technology is involved with an email notification system to alert people when an item appears on a wantlist that they would forward to you, but I would be 1st in line to sign for a new service that you may offer for this...maybe a $9.95 per month membership fee?

you develop it..they will come