• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Look at the price this book realized!!!!! INSANE!!!!

100 posts in this topic

Hey everybody. I just woke up after a 24-hour drunk and saw I won an auction!

First of all, to all of those who called me stupid, dumbazz, or INSANE!!!! or whatever, no hard feelings although I do appreciate the attempts by some to keep comments civil and avoid personal insults. For future reference, I prefer my insults in person, at a comic show, over a beer. So, you owe me a beer kc120us, especially since I can no longer afford to buy my own...

The truth is that I got surprised by the seller's reserve on this one. I thought he had it set around $1500 which is where he was at on the 95 & 100. I wasn't sure anyone else was willing to match the recent ComicLink sale price for the 114 but I was. So, I learned an expensive lesson.

The cost analysis by a number of Board members on this book is accurate. $3K is too much. I know one sold on C-Link for $2900 but that just means there are two of us who paid too much. I'm reasonably sure based on print runs that some more 9.8 114s will show up. In fact, I would guess that an auction like this will probably result in a few mailings to CGC smile.gif

Epilogue: So the buyer WBC now reconciles that he overpaid for the book. You know what, he's not alone - but the more I examine the machinations in play to extricate us from more of our money, the LESS I'm inclined to spend.

popcorn.gif

Were you ever inclined to spend that much on an x-men that isn't issue #1? I think its a non-issue for most of us. Too bad for WBC that the seller's reserve was so high though as with no reserve I'm sure he would have gotten it for substantially less. frown.gif

Just. Plain. Stupid. sumo.gif

gossip.gif uh, not you Shad . . . the buyer. wink.gif

Hey now, be nice. Whats stupid to some obviously isnt to others.

Some might consider owning multiple copies of Vampi 1 stupid poke2.gif

or

multiple copies of Cap 110 acclaim.gif

I agree, you guys should stop *spoon* talking hi end buyers. One guy might think it's stoopid to spend $500,000+ on a Maclaren/Mercedes Benz SLR, but I'm betting the owner doesn't think so. We can be amazed at prices without insulting buyers and sellers.

R.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I believe some of the same words were used after the Dentist paid $20K for the MH Action #1, and I know that some of the same words were used after the WM AF #15 sold for $40K on Sotheby's in the early 90s.

I think it's fine to express opinions over what someone paid (e.g., too high), or their strategy in buying the book (e.g., don't trip the reserve and try to talk the seller down offline), but calling them "stupid" is a bit over the top. It's his money, and he should be able to choose what he wants to spend it on without being called "stupid".

First of all, to all of those who called me stupid, dumbazz, or INSANE!!!! or whatever, no hard feelings although I do appreciate the attempts by some to keep comments civil and avoid personal insults. For future reference, I prefer my insults in person, at a comic show, over a beer. So, you owe me a beer kc120us, especially since I can no longer afford to buy my own...

The truth is that I got surprised by the seller's reserve on this one. I thought he had it set around $1500 which is where he was at on the 95 & 100. I wasn't sure anyone else was willing to match the recent ComicLink sale price for the 114 but I was. So, I learned an expensive lesson.

The cost analysis by a number of Board members on this book is accurate. $3K is too much. I know one sold on C-Link for $2900 but that just means there are two of us who paid too much. I'm reasonably sure based on print runs that some more 9.8 114s will show up. In fact, I would guess that an auction like this will probably result in a few mailings to CGC smile.gif

Epilogue: So the buyer WBC now reconciles that he overpaid for the book. You know what, he's not alone - but the more I examine the machinations in play to extricate us from more of our money, the LESS I'm inclined to spend.

popcorn.gif

Once again I prove that my threads are not off topic....JC http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...&PHPSESSID=

Maybe you'll have to sell some of those Spidey's after all grin.gifpoke2.gif

Hey Matt. hi.gif

You are correct. They are all for sale now. But the bad news is I need to double my sale price smile.gif

Feel free ro shoot me a pm if want. I feel obliged to pay some part toward the purchase of this $3k 114 893whatthe.gif

Again, I'm sorry if I offended you I was just shocked at the price it sold for. As I said in a subsequent post, if you've got the money go for it!! Besides, how could I possibly insult a fellow fan of the X-Men and fellow forumite. flowerred.gif

Casey

p.s. if we ever do meet, I'll buy you two rounds of beer.

Just. Plain. Stupid. sumo.gif

gossip.gif uh, not you Shad . . . the buyer. wink.gif

Hey now, be nice. Whats stupid to some obviously isnt to others.

Some might consider owning multiple copies of Vampi 1 stupid poke2.gif

or

multiple copies of Cap 110 acclaim.gif

I agree, you guys should stop *spoon* talking hi end buyers. One guy might think it's stoopid to spend $500,000+ on a Maclaren/Mercedes Benz SLR, but I'm betting the owner doesn't think so. We can be amazed at prices without insulting buyers and sellers.

R.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I believe some of the same words were used after the Dentist paid $20K for the MH Action #1, and I know that some of the same words were used after the WM AF #15 sold for $40K on Sotheby's in the early 90s.

I think it's fine to express opinions over what someone paid (e.g., too high), or their strategy in buying the book (e.g., don't trip the reserve and try to talk the seller down offline), but calling them "stupid" is a bit over the top. It's his money, and he should be able to choose what he wants to spend it on without being called "stupid".

Your lucky I wasn't in SD as I woulda hit you over the head with an X-Men 114, you did not just compare it to the MH Action 1 and the WM AF 15 in your analogy insane.gif

No analogy for you, Come back one year!!!

I should be in SE Asia sometime this year flowerred.gif

yeahok.gif Yeah, I definitely see the point you're making . . . significant parallels between these three sales.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended you I was just shocked at the price it sold for. As I said in a subsequent post, if you've got the money go for it!! Besides, how could I possibly insult a fellow fan of the X-Men and fellow forumite. flowerred.gif

Casey

No offense taken Casey but I will drink both your beers and then buy an X-Men comic from you.

yeahok.gif Yeah, I definitely see the point you're making . . . significant parallels between these three sales.

You're missing the point. Obviously those 2 books were much more significant, so you'd think other collectors would've cut the buyers some slack. And yet I can tell you that the vitriol and derision directed at the winner of the WM AF 15 was the same. From talking with a bunch of older collectors, it wasn't that different with the Action 1. If people can be so quick to (wrongly) pass judgment on major books, perhaps they should cut a little slack here.

Casey

No offense taken Casey but I will drink both your beers and then buy an X-Men comic from you.

thumbsup2.gif

Tim, I completely understand the point you are making.

There are some collectors who don't value uber-HG just as there are some collectors who don't value any other grade.

Every collector seems to establish their own value/genre comfort level and any book more expensive than that level seems like a waste of money to them . The argument is the same, "Why pay multiples of guide for a - pick one (mint, 9.8, 9.6, 9.4, variant, modern, etc.) book when you can buy a book that is - pick one (the next lower grade or not a variant or anything more than reader) for so much less money?"

There are gold, silver, bronze and modern collectors who have that mind-set and have had that mindset in the past.

When someone paid $8500 for the first CGC 9.8 copy of X-Men 94, a lot of buyers said he was crazy. And when that same book sold a couple years later for $25,000, people said the new buyer was crazy.

Neither one was crazy, they just collect a different genre/grade than most.

Now, I don't have any strong belief that the X-Men 114 that I just bought will turn out to be a wise purchase years from now. I overpaid. But, I have the book and that's better than not having the book thumbsup2.gif

Now, I don't have any strong belief that the X-Men 114 that I just bought will turn out to be a wise purchase years from now. I overpaid. But, I have the book and that's better than not having the book thumbsup2.gif

Spoken like a true collector.... grin.gif