• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Here's my vote to tie.. I'm voting for the All-Star because I prefer superhero books more than anything...

Just wanted to ask everyone here.. Why are Duck books soo expensive? Did they make a limited number of books for each of them? I just don't understand it.. Thanks!

Just wanted to ask everyone here.. Why are Duck books soo expensive? Did they make a limited number of books for each of them? I just don't understand it.. Thanks!

They are popular books, and are expensive for the same reasons that superhero comics are expensive. confused-smiley-013.gif

Normally I would go for the Duck over the All-Star, but in this case I'll take the Church All-Star over the Duck, because those pages don't look "off-white to white" to me.

I agree. I'd take the All Star.

The Church is tempting, but I'll go for the Disney. Donald all the way cloud9.gif, besides that book is on my Son's want list when he can afford it . I guess Dad will help him out in the near future. wink.gif

This is a very tough one IMO and originally I was going to go Duck, but after looking at the census numbers, I'm going to All-Star.

There are three other 6.5s on the WDC&S #1 as well as a 8.5 and a 9.4 (and a 5.5 and a 5.0 for that matter, which on a good/bad day might look an awful-lot like the 6.5).

The All-Star is tied with one other copy at 9.4 for the highest certified, but being a Church, it is going to be "the best copy" in the minds of 99% of the hobby.

Note, if the 6.5 WDC&S was the highest certified copy, I would have gone Duck.

Here's my vote to tie.. I'm voting for the All-Star because I prefer superhero books more than anything...

Duck books are popular with a number of collectors that make big bucks -- nor does it hurt that they are most popular kids comics in Europe and the dollar is down against the Euro.

Superheros generally rule across the different ages of comics in terms of prices but some renegade collectors continue to hold out. I've even met a few collectors in my time who don't collect any superhero comics. 893whatthe.gif

Don't be so sure that the Batman #1 is trimmed. It is just as likely that the cover just shrank during the cleaning and PGX just assumed that this meant the cover was trimmed. The added pieces get trimmed flush with the existing cover stock as part of the restoration process, but that's not the same thing as trimming an entire edge off of a book. PGX's resto detection skills are not as good as CGC's and this is one of those areas where I don't trust them to know the difference between an aqueously cleaned cover that has undergone dimensional changes and a cover that has actually been trimmed along an entire edge.

Can we see a large scan of the Batman #1? I'd like to take a closer look at it.

Batman #1 Any use? Otherwise please pm your e-mail and I'll send original scan. Not technically gifted unfortunately.

Alright. Enough of the which individual comic would you choose. I can't see putting a big pile of money into one single comic. But I could see putting together a run of comics that when completed would equal a big pile of money. So...

Which set would you choose?

Captain America Comics #2 through #10 in Fine condition

CA_set.jpg

OR

Batman cover Pre-Robin Detective Comics in G/VG condition

Tec_set.jpg

Here is the breakdown with my estimates of current cost.

CA FN

2 $5000

3 $4000

4 $3000

5 $2000

6 $2000

7 $2000

8 $2000

9 $2000

10 $2000

Total $24000

Tec GVG

29 $5000

31 $6000

33 $6000

35 $5500

36 $2000

37 $1500

Total $26000

Both very expensive and would take me about 10 years to collect. But how awesome would either of these sets be to own? laugh.gif

Alright. Enough of the which individual comic would you choose. I can't see putting a big pile of money into one single comic. But I could see putting together a run of comics that when completed would equal a big pile of money. So...

Which set would you choose?

Captain America Comics #2 through #10 in Fine condition

CA_set.jpg

OR

Batman cover Pre-Robin Detective Comics in G/VG condition

Tec_set.jpg

Here is the breakdown with my estimates of current cost.

CA FN

2 $5000

3 $4000

4 $3000

5 $2000

6 $2000

7 $2000

8 $2000

9 $2000

10 $2000

Total $24000

Tec GVG

29 $5000

31 $6000

33 $6000

35 $5500

36 $2000

37 $1500

Total $26000

Both very expensive and would take me about 10 years to collect. But how awesome would either of these sets be to own? laugh.gif

I would choose the Tec set in 1/2 of 1 second, and I applaud your creativity with this new and interesting twist to this thread 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Alright. Enough of the which individual comic would you choose. I can't see putting a big pile of money into one single comic. But I could see putting together a run of comics that when completed would equal a big pile of money. So..

Remind me not to get you mad! tongue.gif

Great selection of Tec covers and I'd be sorely tempted to choose them. To me the key is what the G/VG copies look like. If I got to choose them and they had an attractive appearance for the grade I'd go with them. Otherwise I'd go for the Caps.