• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

what if it were the Superman #1 CGC 4.5 or an Action Comics #13 in CGC 8.0 blue label 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ouch, that's tough. My personal grail that I've been trying to find for a long time, or a Supes #1. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Well, I'll still have to go with the Supes #1. I don't neccessarily need a high grade Action #13, so I'd be happy finding a low grade copy at a much lower price someday. Too hard to pass on a Supes #1.

good call, I would trade my personal grail (Action #48), in for a 4.5 blue label Supes #1 as well, but (sigh), I'd miss the #48 alot.. sorry.gif

BH, don't feel lonely. In our first annual GA Favorite Cover Contest. Suspense # 3 did come in at # 1 for the Non-Super Hero group. Results are still available at the GA Favorite Contest Non-Super Hero Page thanks to Paris_Fred. The people voted and liked the cover. I'm afraid to say that Supes # 1 did not crack the top 20 in the Super-Hero category.

P.S.: Yes, I can and will bring data in to any post I can. insane.gif

Very cool, I haven't seen that before. When is the "next annual" survey? I'd like to participate next time. A lot of my favorites are represented....It's great (and very surprising) to see Action #2 in the Top Ten

BH, don't feel lonely. In our first annual GA Favorite Cover Contest. Suspense # 3 did come in at # 1 for the Non-Super Hero group. Results are still available at the GA Favorite Contest Non-Super Hero Page thanks to Paris_Fred. The people voted and liked the cover. I'm afraid to say that Supes # 1 did not crack the top 20 in the Super-Hero category.

P.S.: Yes, I can and will bring data in to any post I can. insane.gif

Very cool, I haven't seen that before. When is the "next annual" survey? I'd like to participate next time. A lot of my favorites are represented....It's great to see Action #2 so well represented

You know for the kind of money that was spent on that book you could have 50 VF copies of the runner-up, Weird SF 29. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Spoon " Suspence # 3 !! Fantastic Comics # 3 is a better cover IMHO . wink.gifgrin.gif Then again , I'm biased as I'm a Lou Fine nut & I own one. Seriously, I love Suspence # 3 & would love to own that copy but not at that price . Whoever bought that must have some deep pockets . The Superman # 1 would still be the best deal... .

You really need to let your anger towards this book go, here's a thread you started on this book over three and a half years ago - "Suspense Comics #3 - most overrated GA book in existence???" 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif I'd forgotten I started that thread! That's priceless!!

So this is your second attempt to wreck the market for Suspense 3 so you can snag a copy on the sly?

We're on to you buster so just watch your step. poke2.gif

I have no idea whether it's worth 47k, but I did take a look at the Crippen copy and it's actually pretty nice. It's a very compelling book in person even though it's not Schomburg's best art.

One more suspense 3 comment. If it was never in the photo journal, or had just a standard small space in the PJ, the crippen copy would be lucky to pull 10k. Believe it. sumo.gif

So the demand was manufactured? By who, whom?

Ernie Gerber. It was his favorite cover, he made an icon out of it with its prominent showing in the Golden Age PhotoJournals. I bought a copy of Suspense #3 at a show in Oklahoma for $500 in the mid 90's during the upswing of the craze for the book. Since then I've had the chance to buy several other copies. Not sure how "scarce" it is. I've had a bunch of Supey #1's too, I simply prefer the book and believe it is a better long term investment. There are lots of buyers for Supey 1, not so many for extremely high priced Suspense #3's. This is based on my experience.

Besides the person who bought it and Showcase4 (Steve) I really don't know many other takers for the book at $50,000. There are much more players for at that level for a Supey 1 or and Action 1 or a Tec 27. Simple fact.

Ok, I'm going to play for the first time. Here's my pairing:

Two Larson Timelys, sold within 3 months of each other in 2002, the first for $5290, the second for $5060. Which would you choose?

803030015o.jpg

804044093o.jpg

Great one Win!! 14 is my favorite cover, but 4 is the FIRST Subby cover, man that is tough!

Just to do the opposite of what I normally do, I will choose the 14 in high grade!! I miss my 4 though.... frown.gif

Let's put it in an even more tangible way. You could buy an action 1 for that money.

Or, it would buy you 16 unopened copies of an 80's Nintendo game

There aren't 16 unopened copies to be had, at least at this point, so your suggestion is impossible tongue.gif

I can see where it would be hard to switch from your copy to the schmutzy Larson.

Ok, I'm going to play for the first time. Here's my pairing:

Two Larson Timelys, sold within 3 months of each other in 2002, the first for $5290, the second for $5060. Which would you choose?

803030015o.jpg

804044093o.jpg

I'd choose the #14. It's a Nick Cage, Larson, NM- ........tough combo to beat. There are always collectors looking to complete a run of Marvel Mystery, and anyone who needs a #14 would jump at that book.

The #4 looks like it has Aunt Jemimah pancake syrup smeared all over the spine....breakfast foods should not be found on comic books..it's just not right.

I'd choose the #14. It's a Nick Cage, Larson, NM- ........tough combo to beat. There are always collectors looking to complete a run of Marvel Mystery, and anyone who needs a #14 would jump at that book.

Ditto. thumbsup2.gif

I was thinking of posting a few 'Which would you choose' samples myself....perhaps pairing off a few Ultra High grade Bronze or Silver books vs. equivalently priced GA counterparts.

Then I remembered this is a GA Forum and thought: "What would be the point?" tongue.gif

Its funny, as a collector who primarily collected Silver (and Bronze to some extent) for the last seven years and now slowly transitioning into GA, the new perspective I've found is quite amazing. I remember so many of the sweet irreplacable HG GA I passed on since 1999 because I opted for common as dirt Silver/Bronze.

WTF was I thinking? screwy.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif