• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

If for no other reason than to tie-break, I'll chime in to choose the Archie 1. Yes, I'm choosing a 3.0 over a 9.4, but for Archie 1 that's practically high-grade.

Admittedly, the GL seems cheap for the quality, and the Archie 1 expensive for what you get, but The Black Hand makes a good point above - one day I will have to find that kind of money just to have the book, irrespective of condition. And GLs not drawn by Adams don't really do anything for me. frown.gif

Ok Gents...we have a close one here ( finally acclaim.gif)

at this moment:

5 chose Archie

4 chose The Green Lantern

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

This is kind of a yanwer for me....Archie is well....not my favorite, and GLs are, well, not my favorite either.

The nod goes to the GL just for the grade and the fact its a Black cover GA with White pages.

Pure condition play by an admitted condition freak. insane.gifscrewy.gif

I'll take the GL. $6000 seems like a lot for either book, though. On the margin, I went for scarcity. If I ever decide to get an Archie #1, I'm going to pay up for one in better condition rather than pay $6K for that one.

Fair comment, but there are only 5 nicer blue label copies of Archie 1 (2x4.0, 2x5.0 and a lone 6.5, and the copy in question here is 1 of 5 in 3.0). I'm no fan of tape or extra staples, but if and when one of the nicer 5 did change hands, I am sure there are plenty of people out there with a lot more disposable income than I would be able to throw at the book. Also, I get the impression that collecting Archies is such a long-term project that these are not books that change hands very often. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to think that the owners of the 3.0s would be looking to upgrade, too. frown.gif

Getting back to the GL, perhaps that is a high price for that title, but it doesn't seem that much for a genuinely scarce item, especially when you look at what early Marvels can bring in 9.4 (higher supply and yes, higher demand, too). I just checked the census and there's actually a 9.6 of GL 9, so the lucky buyer didn't even get a top of census copy for his 6 grand. Oh, and there are 6 slabbed copies that are 7.0 or higher, in other words nicer than any slabbed Archie 1.

I just checked the census and there's actually a 9.6 of GL 9, so the lucky buyer didn't even get a top of census copy for his 6 grand.

That doesn't matter in the wonderful world of GA collecting. The fact that it is the Reilly copy and has white pages matters more than anything.

If that 9.6 is non-pedigreed with anything less than bone white pages, the SF copy is worth more.

Cap 3, it is early and cool

i had thought the comparison of those two was somebody's idea of a joke. seems not, tho' it should be. i'll go with the cap, and it's the d.c. war bonds book i'll send "to the war zone."

Clever wink.gif

GL 9. I really like Moldoff's cover art from this time period and this is a beautiful example.

both of these beauties sold for approx $42,000 about 2 years ago. Which one would you choose, and why?

The Marvel Mystery is the highest graded copy

1544009-morefun54.jpg

.........................or

1544009-marvel9.jpg

the choice for me....the WHITE paged, NM-, LARSON copy of More Fun

1544009-marvel9.jpg.5b23f897db4e979b0701ff7728ac6988.jpg

One of the toughest matchups yet. 893applaud-thumb.gif I've gone DC in almost every pairing, but I'd probably go with the Marvel Mystery here, even with the pedigree & condition nudges for the More Fun. Just love everything about that MM #9.