• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Hmm I think this is the first time I've ever been unable to choose.

The Red Raven is the much rarer book. (I've owned 5 planet 1s over the last 2 years... 3 of them 7.0 or better and I've never owned a Red Raven) And the red raven is in better condition. But the Planet 1 is the cooler book. (And I collect Planet Comics and currently am in need of a #1)

I don't think I'd be able to pick between the two. I'd probably go after both.

RED RAVEN

The Planet #1 is not a favorite cover of the run for me, and the resto on the Red Raven sounds very minor.

I see the guide value on these two books is the same in any given grade - any thoughts FMV vs. Overstreet?

Also what is preffered by collectors - a slightly restored 7.0 or a raw 3.0 for the same money?

I'd take the slightly restored 7.0 over the unrestored 3.0 pretty much every time assuming everything else was equal. (The only exceptions for me would be on an ultra-key book like Action 1 or Detective 27)

Most of the collecting community would probably take the 3.0 over the 7.0 ® is my guess.

I'd take the slightly restored 7.0 over the unrestored 3.0 pretty much every time assuming everything else was equal. (The only exceptions for me would be on an ultra-key book like Action 1 or Detective 27)

Most of the collecting community would probably take the 3.0 over the 7.0 ® is my guess.

Whichever is cheaper would draw my interest for the most part. The Red Raven just never really interested me, so either way I would choose almost any comparably valued book over it.

RED RAVEN

The Planet #1 is not a favorite cover of the run for me, and the resto on the Red Raven sounds very minor.

I see the guide value on these two books is the same in any given grade - any thoughts FMV vs. Overstreet?

Also what is preffered by collectors - a slightly restored 7.0 or a raw 3.0 for the same money?

I have to say, the art in RED RAVEN is much better than the PLANET (IMO)...

And for my money, I would probably take the 7.0 with slight restoration in most cases.

RE: the FMV questions, I have no idea... haven't seen many RED RAVEN's for sale, except one high grade copy on CLINK and METRO each. Collectors seem hot and cold on RED RAVEN, few are lukewarm... a lot don't "get" the appeal. ( for me, the "one shot", rarity, two Kirby stories, oddball nature of the book adds up to plenty of appeal)

Tough call on the Sensation vs. Tec. I think I'd probably go with Tec 35, even though it seems a little pricey in that grade compared to the 8.5 Sensation.

The next one is a no brainer for me. I think Red Raven is really cool - like RyanH I can really appreciate the "oddball" factor and when I was a kid X-Men 44 was one of the first SA books I bought so always wanted to read the original Red Raven story. But when it comes down to it, I am a Sci-Fi guy through and through so I'd take the Planet 1 without a second thought.

we now have a 1st for this thread.....our 1st "qualified - green label" comparison. The notes on the Supes 1 qualified: "coupon cut out of centerfold. Does not effect story. Incomplete". Both sold for approx. $28k within the last 12 months.

Which one would you choose, and why???

1600504-supes1.jpg

.............or

1600504-human1.jpg

for me, I would choose the Superman #1 and crack it out of the case...I don't care about a clipped centerfold coupon, but I could not live with the GLOD ( new term maybe?)

1600504-human1.jpg.eee3f35cf3243384459bf966af3665af.jpg

we now have a 1st for this thread.....our 1st "qualified - green label" comparison. The notes on the Supes 1 qualified: "coupon cut out of centerfold. Does not effect story. Incomplete". Both sold for approx. $28k within the last 12 months.

Which one would you choose, and why???

1600504-supes1.jpg

.............or

1600504-human1.jpg

for me, I would choose the Superman #1 and crack it out of the case...I don't care about a clipped centerfold coupon, but I could not live with the GLOD ( new term maybe?)

Shockingly...for $28k I would take the Torch. Can't abide the incomplete Supey for that money. $15 t0 18K, maybe.

Somewhat of a tough call as I don't like either torch 1 in general or coupon cuts in particular at that kind of money, but I would take the supes overall. It's the cooler book to me and while I don't have a sense of which would sell for more at auction today, I think the supes would be easier to sell in general even if you got less for it (i.e. I'm not sure about the prices at which you might find buyers, but to me the supes is the more liquid book). And supes 1 is absolutely one of my favorite GA superhero covers so hard to turn down.

Hey Bill does the fact that the Torch #1 seems to be readily available in high grade change your decision at all?

You are right, and I am not a huge fan of Torch #1 (much prefer Subby 1, Cap 1 and Marvel 1), not a huge huge fan of Supey 1 either, so that plus the coupon and the money, drove me like a moth to a flame.....

I'd probably take the Torch, but I'm guessing the Supes might be an easier resell. A clipped coupon on a non-story page is a detraction, but on a solid looking 4.0, I'd think the book should still be worth about the same as a blue label 2.0.