• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

A little Gold vs. Silver on this one....keeps things fresh and interesting! Both sold in the same 2005 auction for the exact same amount....$43,125. Which one would you choose, and why ????

1636288-mf54.jpg

.........................or

1636288-jjm83.jpg

JIM83 for me in one second flat....but this is a GA forum...I may be alone.

1st Thor in 9.4 vs. 3rd Spectre in 9.2 .....nuff said!

More Fun #54 without even needing to hear the grade on the JIM. Even a 10.0 wouldn't beat that more fun in my eyes.

Tec 1.

I have no idea what those other books are confused.gif Is that Platinum age or something confused-smiley-013.gif

" Another publisher to try its hand in Newsstand Comic Books was Humor Publications. In 1933 Detective Dan, Secret Operative No. 48 came out. Done by Norman Marsh this comic had a 3 color, cardboard cover. Inside was black and white. It had 36 pages, sold for 10 cents with dimensions of 10x13". The Detective Dan character was a Tracy clone who would go on to appear in other comics, one of them was The Adventures of Detective Ace King also done in 1933 by the same publisher. There are some minor differences between the two books, among them a paper cover and pages 9 1/2 x12". Detective Dan would later be renamed Dan Dunn and would be published many times under that name. Humor also did Bob Scully, The Two-Fisted Hick Detective. These books, Detective Dan in particular were the inspiration of turning a then sci-fi fanzine pulp hero Superman into a comic strip. They almost published an early non-costumed version of Superman but quit doing comic books just before it was to be printed. "

Well ill take the ace king group. For sure there will not be a 2nd chance at it.They are also very historically important. Just not super valuable yet.

For as rare as an unrestored Tec 1 is,they do come along every 3 to 5 years or so. The ace comes along in a much longer time frame

Tec 1.

I have no idea what those other books are confused.gif Is that Platinum age or something confused-smiley-013.gif

" Another publisher to try its hand in Newsstand Comic Books was Humor Publications. In 1933 Detective Dan, Secret Operative No. 48 came out. Done by Norman Marsh this comic had a 3 color, cardboard cover. Inside was black and white. It had 36 pages, sold for 10 cents with dimensions of 10x13". The Detective Dan character was a Tracy clone who would go on to appear in other comics, one of them was The Adventures of Detective Ace King also done in 1933 by the same publisher. There are some minor differences between the two books, among them a paper cover and pages 9 1/2 x12". Detective Dan would later be renamed Dan Dunn and would be published many times under that name. Humor also did Bob Scully, The Two-Fisted Hick Detective. These books, Detective Dan in particular were the inspiration of turning a then sci-fi fanzine pulp hero Superman into a comic strip. They almost published an early non-costumed version of Superman but quit doing comic books just before it was to be printed. "

Thanks for the info. Something I wouldve never known thumbsup2.gif

well, this did give me pause, as the 3 "Pre comics" poke2.gif are really nice and desirable to me, I think Tec#1 is great, and the launching of landmark series & a better cover.... This is really tough, Tec#1 by a hair, a tiny teeny little chipmonk whisker...

I'm with Shiv. I love the new avator Matt!

As much as I want to own the the trio of Plats, I would have to choose the un-restored Tec 1.

hello all..

the Tec 1 in unrestored condition is rare, but the 3 Plats are even rarer, so knowing Win the little bit that I do, and his love for early books, and your apparent love for the tec 1, it seems like both of you would "win" in a trade of that magnitude...Win has already owned 3 tec 1's that I know of, so the luster might be dulled just enough to pull that one off....

for me personally, tec 1 in a nano second...but, I am not the one in this equation..

rick

Marvel Mystery #2 - Annual isn't too pretty

Detective #1 - The 'Tec is too rare and important to pass up and I don't care too much for other set (or know too much about them). Also, the 'Tec is very nice looking.

Here's a comparison of rarely seen early GA books, a low grade 'Tec #2 vs. the Windy City Mystery Men #1 (2nd highest graded copy) whose page quality includes the phrase "light tan". Which would you choose?

811074007o.jpg

806006003o.jpg

I'm going back and forth on this one. I think I'm leaning towards the Fox book, but could be swayed the other way.

While I can see why people will go with 'Tec 2 as part of a historic series and the cover also reeks of 1937 and its fixation on gangland activity, I will go with MM 1 because the cover contains the classic GA elements: crazed scientist (with beaker), a soon-to-be victim, tied-up female and our hero looming in the background about to jump to the rescue. This is archetypical (sp?) and I simply can't pass it up + it looks better than that particular copy of 'Tec # 2.

While I can see why people will go with 'Tec 2 as part of a historic series and the cover also reeks of 1937 and its fixation on gangland activity, I will go with MM 1 because the cover contains the classic GA elements: crazed scientist (with beaker), a soon-to-be victim, tied-up female and our hero looming in the background about to jump to the rescue. This is archetypical (sp?) and I simply can't pass it up + it looks better than that particular copy of 'Tec # 2.

You make a strong case. wink.gif Slight hesitation on the page quality, but still, Mystery Men #1 for me as well.

I'm not a tec collector, although I appreciate the title...a lot. The MM doesn't quite do it for me but the condition of the tec 2 is a turn off. From a purely financial standpoint, I'd tale the MM. If the tec 2 was a higher grade, I might think differently.