• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pep Comics Mile High/Church copies

48 posts in this topic

For your viewing pleasure:

Pep Comics Church copies

How pathetic is it that you don't have the #22. Geez, what a waste. poke2.gifinsane.gifhi.gifflowerred.gif

I have always considered #22 to be more of a Archie-prototype issue. #23 is clearly the 1st Archie. You can tell because in #22 Archie is spelled Archy.

S

27_laughing.gif

Pep Comics Church copies

How pathetic is it that you don't have the #22. Geez, what a waste. poke2.gifinsane.gifhi.gifflowerred.gif

I have always considered #22 to be more of a Archie-prototype issue. #23 is clearly the 1st Archie. You can tell because in #22 Archie is spelled Archy.

S

It is? Surely you jest.

1427604-pep22.jpg

That image has clearly been put through Photoshop. Nice try!

WOW! The thing I appreciate the most is that you took the time to scan them and share with the collecting community! What other high grade runs did you get ahold of?

Yeah, like the Planets he mentioned earlier. yay.gif

Does anyone know why the PhotoJournal pictures only some of the Church Peps? For example numbers 24, 26 and 30 are not the Church copies. I had always assumed it was because the run was broken up and Gerber didn't have access to those numbers. But it appears the run wasn't broken up, so... confused-smiley-013.gif

Pep Comics Church copies

Thanks for letting us in to the premiere opening of the Fishler Virtual Comic Musuem!

The colors on all of the early Shield covers is hail.gif!

Does anyone know why the PhotoJournal pictures only some of the Church Peps? For example numbers 24, 26 and 30 are not the Church copies. I had always assumed it was because the run was broken up and Gerber didn't have access to those numbers. But it appears the run wasn't broken up, so... confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually the run was broken up.....long time ago I purchased the 1-5 at Sotheby's and the others went fairly cheap too......If i recall i bought the 1-5 for a total of 7k- the same price a copy of Amazing Spider-man 1 went for.....Years later, my 1-5 became part of a deal for a piece of art.....Steve , I am sure can do the rest of the story......jon

Archie may not have been spelled Archy in Pep 22, but he was clearly younger in that issue -- shorter, pre puberty and pre high school, even pre Jr. High. seemed to be modelled after Mickey Rooney in his earliest movies. They aged him up in 23 and then seemed to nudge him even older in subsequent

Gerber must have had the images of the non-Mile High issues already so he did not bother to photograph the Mile Highs.

S

so did 143ksk get the mile high copy of PEP 22?

27_laughing.gif...no frown.gif

btw is it really Archy in that issue?

No

is there a reprint copy like the ones DC and Marvel havE?

No (although the Archie story has been reprinted a number of times--you can get scans of the whole issue at www.goldcomics.com )

news.gif As per the cover story/article in the Comicbook Market Place # 52, Steve Geppi purchased the Mile High copies of both Archie # 1 AND Pep # 22 for 100K

I'm not sure he has either one anymore, though...

news.gif As per the cover story/article in the Comicbook Market Place # 52, Steve Geppi purchased the Mile High copies of both Archie # 1 AND Pep # 22 for 100K

I'm not sure he has either one anymore, though...

That Geppi is such a flipper! Christo_pull_hair.gif

tongue.gif