• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for UV coated plastic or mylars

8 posts in this topic

I'd like to display my comics but I can't seem to find any UV coated plastic sheets or mylars out there. I can find UV coated glass but I would like to use my existing non UV coated glass.

Idealy I would like to find both... some clear plastic sheets and some mylar bags but either one would do.

I remember seeing the sheets at a site about a month ago but I can't find them after several searches on google and CGC bulletin boards.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Nesta

you want friends to see the actual comics?

or do you just like looking at the covers on your walls?

because even with UV over the books (which will protect them) why leave them out where anything can jappen to them? scan the covers and frame a printout. If anyone wants to see the real book, whip it out and let em hold your slab. Youll get a lot more pleasure this way...

I think Kinko's has a service where they can take a scan (they prefer PDF's for some reason) and they'll blow it up on heavy paper or vinyl (or canvas.)

It's something like $25 to $45 and you'll get an 18 x 24 or 36 x 48 poster out of it.

If it's an expensive comic, this would probably be nicer (and cheaper and less damaging.) It might violate the copyright laws though although I'm thinking that if you own the original comic, you should be able to use it for personal use. (As long as you're not doing it for commercial use or selling it.)

I'd probably frame the Marvel Treasury Superman vs. Spider-man cover myself.

They sell Epson and HP oversize printers that can print up to 13 x 19 too. You could switch out your framed prints as often as you wished then for about a couple of dollars per print.

I want the real deal on my wall so that I can look at and enjoy. Your point about a nice copy is well taken and you are right on but I want the actual comic to be visible and enjoyed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Nesta

I want the real deal on my wall so that I can look at and enjoy. Your point about a nice copy is well taken and you are right on but I want the actual comic to be visible and enjoyed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Yes--only hang them up in rooms where you can shut out ALL natural sunlight and which are illuminated only by standard fluorescent lightbulbs during the time you're in there with the comic. Mylar and most other plastics inherently block out the vast majority of UV anyway, treated or not, but even if you double-up with some kind of UV-treated film, you're still doing more damage with constant light penetrating the UV coating than you would by using only fluorescent lighting and by making sure they're in the dark when you're not there in the room with them.

That's the one I was looking for!

Great site and that was one of the first places I went to go look but the link to that product was only available off of the menu that you get when you look at an item... did not seem to be on the main price list.

Anyhow, thanks again... has anyone ever used this product and experienced good/bad results?

Nesta

has anyone ever used this product and experienced good/bad results?

I've never used that specific product, but I use E.Gerber all the time and they are never anything but helpful and professional. Their service is second to none and their prices are the lowest around.