• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finder's Fee?

12 posts in this topic

I've found a solid back issues shop in my city and, since getting back to collecting in January, I've probably spend $700 or so there. The owner is starting to recognize me now, and I get a nice discount on my purchases, particularly of $100 or more.

It's the best-stocked (only stocked?) back issues shop in town, and he has a "buy book" that shows the issues he's looking to buy. I've sold him some solid Bronze Age books and he paid an OK price for them.

I'm guessing he gets shown many lots he doesn't buy because he doesn't need them or the condition isn't right.

I'm wondering if shop owners ever have collectors feed a "cash account" with the store (is that a want list?) that the store's buyer can tap to purchase a lot that otherwise would have been turned down? For a finder's fee, of course.

First, do shop owners do this kind of thing? And, if so, what would be an appropriate finder's fee? I would also keep spending on single issues, but would consider give upwards of $150 a month into such an account. Sound reasonable or goofy?

Let me see if I have this correct. You are looking to give money to the store owner so that if he is offered a collection he wouldn't ordinarily buy, now he would act as a middleman in obtaining it for you? Is this the gist of your post?

Yes. I'd pay a percentage above the purchase price -- I don't know, 20 percent?

He's had a long-standing storefront in town, not worried about getting ripped off.

I was wondering if I would sound like a bleedin' insufficiently_thoughtful_person to bring it up to him?

The inherent problem is, "what happens if he buys a bunch of books that you don't want or believe were not worth what he paid".

Sounds like you are trying to be a dealer yourself. If so, I would tell the shop owner that you will give him say $50 for every collection that he doesn't buy and refers the person to you and you buy the collection. This way, he isn't making the decision what to buy, you are.

Good Luck.

Guess I hadn't thought of myself as a dealer. I'm looking for a way to get exposed to all kinds of comics to narrow my collecting taste before targeting high grade comics. I don't intend on selling or slabbing, just collecting at the moment.

I see myself collecting until retirement -- 25 or 30 years -- when I would begin selling as a hobby. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I guess I figured if I thought he overpaid, or I didn't like what he bought, I'd just stop doing it. Just thinking aloud on the board here.

Is the referral fee described common? Is it usually a flat fee rather than a percentage? It sounds reasonable as I'd only pay the fee if I bought the comics.

And, thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

You say you have spent around 700 hundred dollars and the dealer is beginning to recognize you. I think you need to establish a rapore with him before you can do anythig like you proposed. Try shopping when the store is not so busy,and conversing with him.There are a bunch of prattfalls involved in doing what you suggest but it could be made to work.

I'm with you.

I wasn't planning on broaching anything like this until the first of the year. I should be done selling my sport-card collection by then, and my income -- and collecting cash -- could scoot upwards then, too.

I make it in the shop about every three weeks, usually arrive there at midafternoon on a weekday and spend $100 or more most times. I will start chatting with him about collecting options.

I'm trying to figure out how to begin buying all types of back issues as cheaply as I can. Thought about a newspaper ad, but am unsure about driving around the metro area really uncertain of what I'm going to see. I have two young kids that take a bit of my time.

Either that referral fee or just trying carte blanche buying by him in his travels seems my best option at the moment.

Again, thanks.

why not just buy bulk lots on ebay?you can most likely get them cheaper than from a comics shop,and you really know how much the lot cost.if he said that he paid 200 for a lot,so you tack on your proposed 20%,and pay him 240 bucks,but he really paid 125 in store credit,you get screwed and have no way of knowing.plus he can very esily pull any key issues from teh box before you get there,its not worth it in my opinion.

If your kids are a little older,its good to bring them with you when you are amnswering ads about someone selling a collection. give the impression the books are for them, you know next to nothing about values, and your not willing to spend whatever amount seller is asking. If he wants $100 , explain that this is a present and you cant really see spending more than 50-60 dollars. Works quite often.

For the deals with the owner- when you can call him on the phone and say"This is Jim" and he knows who it is, then is the time to approach him onsuch a deal IMO

why not just buy bulk lots on ebay?you can most likely get them cheaper than from a comics shop,and you really know how much the lot cost.if he said that he paid 200 for a lot,so you tack on your proposed 20%,and pay him 240 bucks,but he really paid 125 in store credit,you get screwed and have no way of knowing.plus he can very esily pull any key issues from teh box before you get there,its not worth it in my opinion.

Does it really matter if the guy used store credit? He IS the one paying the bills, after all...

If there are any trust issues at all, just don't do the deal, problem solved.

Have you (the customer) given the guy a copy of your want list, along with your e-mail? I would imagine that , should he think of you at crunch time, the ability to ask some crucial questions might be the make-or-break...

the store credit thing wasnt to big of an issue,i was just pointing out that he may be making a lot more off of him than the guy knows.when you trade for credit you usually get about 50% value with a shop,so if you get 100 in trade for some books,odds are the store owner is only vested about 50 bucks on that deal and if he turns around and sells them for 200,he made out like a bandit.just my opinion,not trying to start a war with anyone tongue.gif

the store credit thing wasnt to big of an issue,i was just pointing out that he may be making a lot more off of him than the guy knows.when you trade for credit you usually get about 50% value with a shop,so if you get 100 in trade for some books,odds are the store owner is only vested about 50 bucks on that deal and if he turns around and sells them for 200,he made out like a bandit.just my opinion,not trying to start a war with anyone tongue.gif

I took no offense at all. I guess though, honestly, all my views would be slanted, as I am a former retailer myself.

I would never have tried to hose anyone, as I'm just not that kind of a person, AND, in the long run, it pays no dividends. I feel that I would have lost more than I would have gained...