• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Fun 14-17 all in one day!

41 posts in this topic

Bigloo has posted on ebay copies of the entire DC run of the Dr. Occult story that Jerry Siegel once described as "a dry run for Superman."

The story actually begins in Comics Magazine #1, but Dr. Occult doesn't get powers and a cape until More Fun 14. Then he shows more powers as the series goes on.

If you see these stories it's clear they were trying to slip Superman into print in some way or another. They had failed for years and would finally succeed in two more years, at DC.

Dr. Occult looks exactly like Superman. And that is not an exaggeration, not me trying to stretch a resemblance to mae a conclusion. The face is EXACTLY like Superman. And with the cape and all, he has superman like powers as well. In fact if you change the coloring of his limbs and torso, you;'d have an image virtually in decipherable from the supes image that was published in 1938.

Now lots of you already know this, but unless you've tried to assemble this set, as I once tried, you know it is well nigh unassemblable. All of them are rare and I have not seen any of them for sale more than a handful of times, at best, in 20 years. I have never seen all of 14-17 available in one place at one time.

Bigloo has posted on ebay copies of the entire DC run of the Dr. Occult story that Jerry Siegel once described as "a dry run for Superman."

The story actually begins in Comics Magazine #1, but Dr. Occult doesn't get powers and a cape until More Fun 14. Then he shows more powers as the series goes on.

If you see these stories it's clear they were trying to slip Superman into print in some way or another. They had failed for years and would finally succeed in two more years, at DC.

Dr. Occult looks exactly like Superman. And that is not an exaggeration, not me trying to stretch a resemblance to mae a conclusion. The face is EXACTLY like Superman. And with the cape and all, he has superman like powers as well. In fact if you change the coloring of his limbs and torso, you;'d have an image virtually in decipherable from the supes image that was published in 1938.

Now lots of you already know this, but unless you've tried to assemble this set, as I once tried, you know it is well nigh unassemblable. All of them are rare and I have not seen any of them for sale more than a handful of times, at best, in 20 years. I have never seen all of 14-17 available in one place at one time.

They were one fine day in my old comic store in New Orleans....the full set (14 -51) came along as a bonus with the Action 1 - 18 that walked in the store back in 1996. Quite the celebration we had!

bluechip, FYI we recently chatted (briefly) about this over in the 'More Fun Comics not owned by esquire' thread.

I've privately been in contact with several other serious bidders already, so we'll just have to see how it goes.

The Bigloo traditionally gets some pretty high prices for his material - let's hope we don't all bid against each other and some poor soul ends up paying a ridiculous amount for a book(s).

STEVE (make mine Larson)

. I have never seen all of 14-17 available in one place at one time.

They were one fine day in my old comic store in New Orleans....the full set (14 -51) came along as a bonus with the Action 1 - 18 that walked in the store back in 1996. Quite the celebration we had!

I tried hard to assemble the set thinking how hard could it be. it's only a few issues. Got the comics mag1, the MF 14, a coverless 15 and a 17 but could not get the rest after a decade of looking, so I sold or traded them and it turned out the guy who got the comics mag 1 had needed only that to complete the set.

Link please. What would be the motivation for Bigloo to sell these? Can't be the money?

gossip.gif He's bought and sold lots of comics over the years -- some that were and others that weren't really part of his "collection".

I've got my snipes set, but honestly, they're more for "price enforcement" than they are to seriously acquire the books.

Don't worry CM - unless the folk I'm speaking with are being disingenuous, "price enforcement" won't be a problem.

STEVE (make mine Larson)

bluechip, FYI we recently chatted (briefly) about this over in the 'More Fun Comics not owned by esquire' thread.

I've privately been in contact with several other serious bidders already, so we'll just have to see how it goes.

The Bigloo traditionally gets some pretty high prices for his material - let's hope we don't all bid against each other and some poor soul ends up paying a ridiculous amount for a book(s).

STEVE (make mine Larson)

I'll be bidding on some of his books, but not the MF 14-18.

the dentist just posted the elusive MF 13 in Fair...

rick

Dentist also posted 2 of his undercopies of Superman #4 on the same day.

FYI, his eBay results on More Fun

#14 vg off-wht pgs glue $2,325 fmv about 100% unrestored condition Ostreet

#15 vg/fn off-wht pgs, glue $1,355 about 100% unrestored Ostreet again

#16 fn off-wht pgs, unrestored $2,585 about 2x condition Ostreet

#17 $1,875

Guide is $2,235 on the book, so the final result was only about 1.15x Guide (not double). Nice looking copy, I was the underbidder.

#17 $1,875

Looks nicer, but graded vg/fn (off-white pages) with the top staple being popped. I'll post a scan when I get it later this week.

STEVE (make mine Larson)

the dentist just posted the elusive MF 13 in Fair...

rick

Dentist also posted 3 of his undercopies of Superman #4 all on the same day!

FYI, his eBay results on More Fun

#14 vg off-wht pgs glue $2,325 fmv about 100% unrestored condition Ostreet

#15 vg/fn off-wht pgs, glue $1,355 about 100% unrestored Ostreet again

#17 $1,875

I've rarely seen better evidence than this of the stigma a purple restored label creates. If these books had sold in purple label holders instead of raw with disclosure, I am willing to bet they'd have sold at a fraction of what they realized.