• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Psychology of collecting......

63 posts in this topic

When this study was done, it was clearly noted that by "useless objects" they meant objects with no aesthetic beauty, or nostalgic or artistic merit. That's a key point. Collecting comics, art, coins, etc.... is a far cry from hoarding newspapers and supermarket flyers. The latter "junk" does not require any kind of "hunt" to aquire, which is one of the payoffs of collecting objects with some value.

Yeah, this study reminds me of a movie with John Tuttoro (sp) (can't remember the name of the movie) where his character is a recluse and a conspriacy nut and his apartment is wall to wall newspapers.

I'm getting the "Collecting: An Unruly Passion: Psychological Perspectives" book although the reviews have been tough, as it's obvious that the author is slanted as suggested by the title. It should be entertaining if nothing else...but I'm still trying to gain additional perspective as I know it has been "obsessive" from time to time which is definitely NOT healthy.

Great thread to bump. Many of the points made in this thread have stuck with me since its initial posting. Lots to think about here...and this is a good time of the year for self-reflection.

Much of what has been said here pushes me to reduce my collection size. I even have stacks of comics ready to move but yet I spend my time looking for higher grade stuff that will "replace" what I haven't even sold yet. So my collection grows and rather than spending my time selling it; I buy more. I have been throwing around "I'll take it!" quite a bit in the marketplace lately.

My collection habit has had its up and downs over the last 20 years. It seems to be the times of inactivity or stagnation that my collection grows. The collection bug bites less (or not at all) when I am active and/or travelling. I distinctly remember being in Italy looking out over a lake (on a month-long backpacking trip with a buddy) and thinking, "Why did I spend money on a Boba Fett action figure because it had full circles on its hands?" It can seem like rather bizarre behavior when you take a step or two away from it.

I'm getting the "Collecting: An Unruly Passion: Psychological Perspectives" book although the reviews have been tough, as it's obvious that the author is slanted as suggested by the title. It should be entertaining if nothing else...but I'm still trying to gain additional perspective as I know it has been "obsessive" from time to time which is definitely NOT healthy.

Sounds interesting. I may have to pick it up as well. (thumbs u

My collection habit has had its up and downs over the last 20 years. It seems to be the times of inactivity or stagnation that my collection grows. The collection bug bites less (or not at all) when I am active and/or travelling.

There's definitely a correlation there. I've had some time off of in the last 3 weeks, don't have a family so the holiday doesn't really keep me busy, and the weather has been pretty sh*ty, so it's no surprise that I've made 3 comic purchases in the last 2 weeks. I should also note that these were my only purchases this year.

Wow, blast from the past. This is from back when I used to contribute to this forum. lol

I've read this thread for the very first time this morning.

It's interesting to me that after four years, this thread hasn't had the contributions to it as one may expect. Perhaps a testament as to how little philosophical thought collectors give to their behavior.

Philosophical thought to my behavior is something I've done my whole life. It is no co-incidence that my joining the CGC board was shortly after the death of my maternal grandmother -- who supplied me with stacks of comic books through out the seventies when I came to visit. Over the past five years now, the archetype as to why I collect has evolved. Where as, I use to think of Superman of the fifties as -- to use a juvenile word that really fits -- retarded. After reading hundreds of stories from that era for about a year now, I see myself as that Superman. Superman (husband) always available to save Lois (wife) or Jimmy (two year old son).

Although my wife isn't as reckless as Lois, the idea of a safety net always available is the same.

DSC00018.jpg

I'm curious about the psychology of printed labels and signs, and the power they wield over collectors and collecting goals.

It's like that Pet Rock phenomenon, put some printed packaging around an object and wha-la, wallets will open.

A rock is what it is, (same with old magazines) but add some printed words and they become extra-amazing, especially-desirable, unusually-unique, certifiably-rare items. More so if the words are from an accepted 'authority' figure. It's fascinating.

weather-stone.jpg

It's interesting to me that after four years, this thread hasn't had the contributions to it as one may expect. Perhaps a testament as to how little philosophical thought collectors give to their behavior.

I guess introspection isn't as interesting as pressing or Megan Fox, or pressing Megan Fox.

Interesting post. (thumbs u

Wow, blast from the past. This is from back when I used to contribute to this forum. lol

It's not too late. :sumo:

:baiting:

hm

I'm curious about the psychology of printed labels and signs, and the power they wield over collectors and collecting goals.

I love seeing the reaction of an outsider when showing them a SA 9.2 and 9.6, and explaining the price difference between the two. If it's a person with no prior knowledge of graded collectibles, the reaction serves as an outside glimpse of the insanity we all take for granted. We've created what we perceive to be logical constructs that support our buying/collecting habits, but that doesn't make them any less nutty.

We've created what we perceive to be logical constructs that support our buying/collecting habits, but that doesn't make them any less nutty.

Or maybe our constructs are so logical that the lowly minions who inhabit the outside world are just not intelligent enough to grasp them.