• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Mystery 13

32 posts in this topic

so good - it has to be highlighted again:

PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS

Don't forget to checkout at the end of the auction! WHEN SENDING MONEY ORDER, ONLY FILL IN YOUR INFORMATION. I WILL FILL OUT MY INFORMATION. BY THE WAY, FREE SHIPPING!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS FOR LOOKIN!

yeah - so when the X Men 94 finishes at $1500 (or for whatever this book normally sells for) - send the guy a money order without filling in the name of the person you're sending the money to.

geez - i wonder if he'll even give you his address so that you can actually SHIP the cheque to him?? makepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

even among scammers - he's pretty dimwitted. he doesn't even know how to spam the acronym CGC in his titles to get people to even see his auctions. awfully low hit-counts on some major books.

If the scam patrol is awake, you might want to check this one out:

Heritage Auction:

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auctions/closedviewlot.asp?s=806&l=5897&SID=DA4BCF1B707645F0AC97D0A5B86B916C#PHOTO

Ebay Auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2179804773&category=35751

Check the tape pull on the back cover and the difference in grades from CGC.

It's a possible scam but I can't be sure without checking in more detail.

Anyway, I'm working on putting links onto my post so I'll find out if it was done properly after it posts. If not, can someone go into some detail how it should be done. Thanks

If the scam patrol is awake, you might want to check this one out:

Heritage Auction:

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auctions/closedviewlot.asp?s=806&l=5897&SID=DA4BCF1B707645F0AC97D0A5B86B916C#PHOTO

Ebay Auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2179804773&category=35751

Check the tape pull on the back cover and the difference in grades from CGC.

It's a possible scam but I can't be sure without checking in more detail.

Anyway, I'm working on putting links onto my post so I'll find out if it was done properly after it posts. If not, can someone go into some detail how it should be done. Thanks

Looks like he bought the book from Heritage.......cracked the book from it's slab.......took pictures of the raw book........resubmitted it to CGC.......and got screwed on the resubmit grade. 27_laughing.gif

It looks like this little plan backfired on him to the tune of $500 plus grading fees. He also says that there are only 7 unrestored copies better than this one........the funny thing is.......one of those 7 could very well be this same book if he didn't resubmit it with the label. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Looks like he bought the book from Heritage.......cracked the book from it's slab.......took pictures of the raw book........resubmitted it to CGC.......and got screwed on the resubmit grade.

Well at least page quality improved, so it wasn't total catastrophe grin.gif

"Pages are supple and as indicated cream to off white per cgc blue label."

The plot thickens.

Can anyone tell me if this is a pic of the Pacific Coast Pedigree copy? I think it is. Now i am sure this dude does not own a pedigree Hulk #1! He must have placed this one up there late last night. Unreal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=68&item=2180222705

Check out the rest of his auctions. Now he has 3 Mickey Mantles, a 53 Willie Mays, AND the Gretzky and Jordan rookie cards. ALL IN HIGH GRADE!!!!!!

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=nelsonguy666&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

Who is this guy, Montgomery Burns?!?!?!?

I just received a reply from nelsonguy666 about the scans in his auctions -

i am TRULY VERY SORRY for any misunderstanding, but i must clear the items of out my store within the next two weeks because i cannot afford to keep the store open any longer. ive had my store for over 15 years and i've never used printers, computers, or scanners. i've just been so hectic with paying bills and liquidating my inventory that i have been very hasty with these auctions. i need to get rid of my inventory but you must understand that i do want the best possible price for them so i searched for a picture of the same item and used it. as for the low price, this would get more attention from bidders as an auction with a very high starting bid will turn away many bidders. again PLEASE accept my deepest apologies.

Sounds like he's having business troubles and is running this scam to raise some quick cash 893naughty-thumb.gif

I just received a reply from nelsonguy666 about the scans in his auctions -

(...) you must understand that i do want the best possible price for them so i searched for a picture of the same item and used it. (...)

So let me get this straight... The guy has no time to have his books scanned but he has time to search the internet for books with the EXACT same grade (GCG or not) as the ones he is selling?!!?! I cant believe he has not canceled the auctions. He has to know that hes going to get busted.

I got the same bogus email from him to, right before comic-keys contacted me about what I had reported to eBay. Thank god this seller got NARU'd - I hate theives. I do not care what it takes when I see soemthing like this, I will do everyting possible to nail them.

Tom

It might be tied to the economy or perhaps the publicity comics are getting lately.

I'm sure these comic scams are just a very small piece of the amount of all atempted scams on Ebay. The amount of attempts have steadily increased, and will continue to do so as more and more people become aware of Ebay. Keep in mind that online commerce is still in its infancy. And with more awareness, you will inevitably get more people who see an opportunity to steal a couple of bucks. It's up to the many communities of legit buyers/sellers in the various markets(Like us with comics) to keep the less informed and the newbies from getting burned.