• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Fabulous Fantastic Four Bronze Age Winnipeg Blitz Starts Monday on Pedigree!

39 posts in this topic

Wow any chance you could get him to post on these boards? Love to know what range of issues/series his personal collection is composed of. On a side note maybe you can ask him what he uses for insurance on his collection because I can't seem to find any data for us Canadians. Most companies limit coverage to a maximum of $10,000 and that covers only theft. thumbsup2.gif

I could ask him... doesn't hurt to try to get someone here in Canada with his connections and collection to contribute here. He's very interesting to chat with and my wife thinks I spend too much time with him. 27_laughing.gif

Surf,

I have 6 more long boxes all STUFFED with runs of Winnipegs waiting to get graded. I already took 3 long boxes to CGC so I've got double what i've already listed coming up over the next few years (it'll take that long to get them there, get graded, etc, etc.). I'll try to give you all a heads-up as to what i'll be listing as I get these books back. Unfortunately they may not have the Winnipeg on the label if they're in the 80's and not part of already longer runs like ASM and FF, CA, Avengers, etc. I've had these books stored now for 10 years since driving back from Greenhalgh's store in Wallingford., CT in late 1996 and they keep getting white pages. It's just ridiculous!!

On a sad note, Dan wanted to give me the rest of the DC Winnipegs (like 12 long boxes or so) but I had no more room in my car and had to pass. *spoon* me!!

Doug

Dad,

Great stuff. What a comic book lifer he is. I'd love to get in touch with him somehow and just talk about comics for a week or so!! It's just so funny that you know this man and all I really thought about him was from seeing his name in ink on the top of every early SA Winnipeg I bought from Greenhalgh (I bought like 90% of the collection, just the Marvels). This is really turning into an awesome thread, dad. If you can get Joe to post that would be incredible!! I'd just love to hear some of his stories, etc.

I had no idea he still had his own "private" collection as I assumed he sold everything to Greenhalgh in 1996 when he stopped buying new books off the stand. I'll bet his collection is insane with those white Winnipeg pages.

Thanks for all the info, dad. Don't let this thread die yet. Winnipegs forever!!

Doug

Hey Doug, and everyone following the WPG's ...

I'll pop by Joe's place on Saturday and see if I can coherse him into coming and posting. If there's one thing I found in conversation with Joe is that he loves to tell stories. Although he no longer holds his original collection, he certainly has amassed a collection to be admired. Hopefully he could become a regular here. He's such a colorful guy, not just his personality, but the way he presents himself. He's the typical old guy balding with horned rimmed 60's glasses with sandals and black socks pulled up to his knees in shorts and a short sleeve dress shirt. The classic stereotypical Florida retiree!!! I know he likes to keep a low profile too so it'll be interesting to see if he can come here and chat with everyone and share his knowledge and stories. thumbsup2.gif

Hey Doug, and everyone following the WPG's ...

I'll pop by Joe's place on Saturday and see if I can coherse him into coming and posting. If there's one thing I found in conversation with Joe is that he loves to tell stories. Although he no longer holds his original collection, he certainly has amassed a collection to be admired. Hopefully he could become a regular here. He's such a colorful guy, not just his personality, but the way he presents himself. He's the typical old guy balding with horned rimmed 60's glasses with sandals and black socks pulled up to his knees in shorts and a short sleeve dress shirt. The classic stereotypical Florida retiree!!! I know he likes to keep a low profile too so it'll be interesting to see if he can come here and chat with everyone and share his knowledge and stories. thumbsup2.gif

that would be very cool

Surf,

You can bet i'm kicking myself. Dan was willing to give me those 12 long boxes for free since I had paid for the 9 Marvel ones. It was my third trip there within a few days (my first trip was to see the collection and cherry pick the books I wanted, which were the early SA Marvels and my second was just to take home all the early Marvels which took a bunch of regular boxes). I went back again to pick up the sytuff he didn't feel like going through and grading (yerp, 9 long boxes of 70's, 80's and 90's Marvels!!). I really should have drove right back to his store the next day but they were DC's and I certainly wasn't thiniing long term then!!

Brings back some fond memories just thinking back to that time period, pretty much exactly 10 years ago!

Doug

Thanks, dad. Even if he doesn't want to reminicse it's good enough just talking about him, his collection, its origin, etc., etc. That's the part of pedigrees (and really, comics as a whole) that floats my boat and makes me realize why I love this stuff so much. I can picture driving home from Dan's the first nite with all those boxes of the early SA Marvels with Joe's name sprawled on the cover. My wife (girlfriend at the time) was fast asleep and kept all the books parked in my car in our apartment garage overnite so I could get them upstairs the next morning so she wouldn't see how many new books I had just bought!!I Still seems like yesterday, man. Amazingly, I don't even own any one of those early Marvels anymore through trades, sales and Pac coast upgrades, etc. But those books were white and so fresh. I knew I was onto something!

Beltan,

I haven't forgotten. I must have them in a long obx or two marked "CGC rejects". They're probably all killer but didn't make the prescreen (probably for 9.8). I need to spend a day just going through that stuff soon.

Take care, man.

Dad,

Those ST's were long gone. I bought the early ones (with his name on the cover) and those sold a while back. Of course, I replaced all the ones I sold/traded with a higher graded Pac Coast copy so I'm happy.

I did have (and still do) some of the ST's in 169 up and I think a few are still listed on my site. I probably don't have any raw copies, though. Sorry about that.

This Winnipeg buzz has motivated me to go to CGC with a few more long boxes within the next few weeks. Thanks for joining this thread to get me motivated, Dad!

Dad,

Those ST's were long gone. I bought the early ones (with his name on the cover) and those sold a while back. Of course, I replaced all the ones I sold/traded with a higher graded Pac Coast copy so I'm happy.

I did have (and still do) some of the ST's in 169 up and I think a few are still listed on my site. I probably don't have any raw copies, though. Sorry about that.

This Winnipeg buzz has motivated me to go to CGC with a few more long boxes within the next few weeks. Thanks for joining this thread to get me motivated, Dad!

My pleasure Doug, glad to hear you got off your butt, and I could've helped influence you slightly, to get those books checked out!! 27_laughing.gif BTW... I'll be in Fort Lauderdale in mid January with my lovely wife... maybe I can get an opportunity to meet you finally and take you and your wife out for dinner if you guys are around. All I ask is that you let me see some of your ST's in person... and maybe a pic or two with some of those incredible PC copies of ST. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif even so.. still like to get together and chat a bit if possible. Still working on Joe at his shop. I'll probably see him at the Comic Con in town this coming weekend. If not, I'll make a run over to his place.

Dad,

If you are in Ft Lauderdale you'd only be about 45 minutes away from me. I'd have to get the ST's out of storage but I would be glad to show them to you. No need to take me to dinner as it's my pleasure taking out the books! See if you can pack Joe in your suitcase and bring him with you. i'd really love to meet that guy too!!

Just email me when you are going to be around (DougSchmell@pedigreecomics.com). I look forward to meeting you and your wife. She could hang with Lisa and the kids while you and I make for the funnies!

Dad,

If you are in Ft Lauderdale you'd only be about 45 minutes away from me. I'd have to get the ST's out of storage but I would be glad to show them to you. No need to take me to dinner as it's my pleasure taking out the books! See if you can pack Joe in your suitcase and bring him with you. i'd really love to meet that guy too!!

Just email me when you are going to be around (DougSchmell@pedigreecomics.com). I look forward to meeting you and your wife. She could hang with Lisa and the kids while you and I make for the funnies!

Beautiful Doug!!! It's a date...we'll be in returning from our cruise on Jan.13th in Fort Lauderdale and looking at spending a couple extra days in town. I'll PM you more details and I'll get the body bag out for Joe to travel in.. 27_laughing.gif

Paul