• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smorgasbord of Ultra-High Grade Western Penn Flash

52 posts in this topic

I've consigned the following issues of Flash to Heritage for their November Signature Auction. The auction is now live for internet bidding.

Most of the run are from the Western Penn pedigree and are quite simply the finest copies of these books that I have ever seen. All are in 9.4 or higher, except for the Flash 127 which is a 9.0 (more explanation on that particular book below). The vast majority of these books have never been publicly available for sale before.

Full disclosure section: To my knowledge, none of these books has been pressed or otherwise manipulated or "maximized to their potential". The vast majority are in old labels, which isn't perfect insurance that they haven't been maximized but probably significantly reduces the likelihood of maximization.

In the case of the Western Penns, these were submitted directly to CGC by Tom Hanlin (Linmoth on these boards), who I believe purchased them directly from the person who discovered the Western Penn collection. He has assured me that they were not pressed. I purchased all of them from a collector who purchased them from Tom.

With the following exceptions, all of the Western Penns are in their original slabs. Flash 126, 127 and 129 were resubmitted by me and therefore have new labels. In the case of 126 and 129, the old labels noted that they had Cream to Off-White Pages. As I believe that CGC was overly harsh on page quality earlier on, particularly on these specific books, I decided to resubmit them and see if I could get an upgrade on the PQ. This was done as a "full" resubmit, not just a PQ re-consideration (or whatever CGC calls it). The grades remained the same (9.4) but the pages were upgraded to "Off-White". As this was a full resubmit, the serial number has changed (you can see the original serial numbers in my Registry). In the case of the 127, the upper right front cover corner had gotten snagged by the inner well and torn off completely when the book shifted (I wish I had a scan of the book with a big chunk of green paper in the inner well corner to show you). As I didn't want to consign a book with a big chunk of corner sitting there in the well under a 9.4 label, I talked with Steve Borock on what to do and ended up resubmitting the book to CGC. They cracked it out, regraded it as a 9.0 because of the missing corner. frown.gif

What else can I tell you? Flash 111, 116, 117 and 120 were purchased from the same private collector, who purchased them from Ron Murray. Flash 154 was also purchased from this private collector. The Flash 131 (White Mountain) and 157 were purchased from Metropolis. The Flash 144 was purchased from Mark Wilson, who purchased it off Heritage. The Flash 207 and Flash Annual 1 were purchased from Steve Lauterbach. The 80 Page Giant 9 was acquired from Josh Nathanson in a trade.

Here are Flash 111, 116, 117 and 120.

Flash #111 CGC 9.4 OW-W

822055002o.jpg

Flash #116 CGC 9.4 OW-W

822055003o.jpg

Flash #117 CGC 9.4 OW

822055004o.jpg

Flash #120 CGC 9.4 OW-W

822055005o.jpg

Finally, here`s the rest:

Flash #150 CGC 9.6 OW-W Western Penn

822055021o.jpg

Flash #154 CGC 9.4 OW

Heritage`s scan doesn`t do this book justice. Christo_pull_hair.gif The colors pop on this book! I don`t know why Heritage decided to use the "faded and dull" setting on their scanner for this book. confused-smiley-013.gif

822055017o.jpg

Flash #157 CGC 9.6 OW-W Double Cover

822055001o.jpg

Flash #207 CGC 9.6 OW-W

822055018o.jpg

Flash Annual #1 CGC 9.6 OW

822055020o.jpg

80 Page Giant #9 CGC 9.6 W (Green River?)

Could be the Green River copy, although not noted as such on the label. The date stamp, whiteness of pages and outstanding eye appeal of this book make it a very likely candidate.

822055016o.jpg

I might be a liitle behind on the news here, but Tim, why the sale?

You had 5 hours on Monday night to ask me that question! makepoint.gif

Hoping to buy a house... gossip.gif

I know, I know, but my brain has been fried for the past 2 weeks with year end accounts at work, so I'm behind on my board reading.

Well I have no doubt that they will do well...but jeeze that had to of been a tough decision to part with those books!!!! frustrated.gifscrewy.gifforeheadslap.giftonofbricks.giffrustrated.gif

Wow. Who woulda thunk it. These things are actually worth something and you can sell them to buy substantial things in the " real " world.

27_laughing.gif Crazy, huh?

If these do well, I'm going to show the results to my Mom and remind her how she wouldn't let me buy a FF #1 for $100 when I was a kid. 27_laughing.gif

Great books again Tim. Did you ever have a nice copy of #135 ?

Nope. frown.gif That's an incredibly tough book to find in grade, along with #130. Still no 9.4 copies in the Census, either.

Just a stunning collection, Tim. thumbsup2.gif I wish you all the best with the November auction. There continues to be alot of Gold being auctioned by Heritage, but not a great deal of Silver - this should direct alot of collectors of high grade Silver to your books!