• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: FABLES OGN Rabbit page 1

31 posts in this topic

Court...I'm confused I was behind you at SDCC when you were buying those pages....and Mark asked you out right if you were gonna "sell some of them"...and you responded "yes".

- Hart

Bucky did ask me that question, he even made a comment about how he would expect that I would need to sell at least a few of them to offset my costs...but my response was, "No, I have no intention of selling any of these pages. Fables is the main focus of my collection, and these are all pages I intend to keep for myself."

Just for the record, since everyone seems to be so interested...

Fables is the main focus of my collection. In fact, I've learned from past experience that while I enjoy the artwork of a number of other artists, I do not need to own their work...as I inevitably end up trading/selling these pieces to get more Fables or James Jean artwork. It is Fables and James Jean that I am most passionate about...and I think this is clearly reflected in my CAF gallery. I do not buy any of this artwork with the intent to try to sell and make a profit...and the few times I have sold Fables pages in the past, it has only been in an attempt to "upgrade" my collection by getting other Fables artwork that I was more excited about. In a perfect world, I would have an unlimited budget and buy anything/everything Fables-related...but this is not the case, and so I spend what I can, and upgrade when the opportunity presents itself.

Now, as for why I'm leaning towards not adding any more art to my CAF...

I've only been posting my collection in hopes of sharing my enjoyment of the art with others...and yet, this doesn't seem to happen all that often. At least, not from the feedback I've been receiving. While I've received a few very nice e-mails from people writing to say that they've enjoyed watching my collection grow...it seems that there are also those that view my collection with contempt...as if I'm being greedy or selfish.

I approach OA collecting the same as everyone else...I buy what I can afford, and I buy what I like. Most other collectors have much broader collections...i.e., a representation of a number of artists whose work they enjoy...and therefore, these collections are a mile wide and an inch deep. This, generally speaking, seems to be the most "acceptable" type of collection. It's "acceptable" among the community to buy "one really nice example" from every artist to work in the medium, but it's "greedy" to focus on only one title/artist, etc.

I guess I've just gotten frustrated with the negative bias towards narrow, focused collections...and feel that if that's the way everyone wants to view my collection (especially other Fables fans/collectors), then there's really no reason for me to share my artwork...if all I'm going to hear about it is that I'm being selfish. Or that, since I have so many pages, perhaps I'd be willing to sell "one nice example".

Court,

I doubt you posted that seeking any kind of validation, but I did want to write a quick note of support for your point of view. Over the past few months, I've developed a passion for OA and I've begun trying to build a collection around that passion. Since I only read a few comics religiously, my collection is becoming (like yours) far more narrow and deep. Your collection is one of those on CAF that I look at with awe. I'd love to see it continue to grow from a personal standpoint, as I love having the opportunity to see beautiful new Fables pages added (although there is frustration in seeing pages I covet already owned, I know I can't afford everything, so I'm happy just to see them and know they're still out there). That said, I do understand where you're coming from. If I ever manage a method to scan all my pages and post them, I know I'd be very disappointed if I received complaints such as you've described.

Keep up the good work and thanks for your help in the past in getting me a few pages here and there.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks, that's nice to hear. I enjoy sharing my artwork on CAF...building a gallery can be a fun little corollary to building a collection. It's just gotten to the point where it seems like it's more frustration than its worth. Unfortunately, it seems that too many people view these galleries as scorecards...which is certainly not what I wanted out of posting my art.

Court, sorry to hear about your frustration in regards to showing off your focused collection. I do think you have a remarkable Fables collection...but my question about your response to Bucky was one of clarification. I must have misunderstood what was said...my bad. I must have been blinded by the stack of art you walked away with at SDCC....really great haul imo!!! My fav were the pages from the Homelands storyline! Great pieces! 893applaud-thumb.gif

And as Scott mentioned that I was envious of your collection and was looking for a fight....not true. Well....that may not be totally true in regards to the envy part...I think all collectors envy other collections that are out there. But it's good to have that emotion in regards to our hobby. Or am I totally off base here folks?!?

So the truth is out...I envy collections other than my own...even Scott's! (btw Scott..great Grell X-Men montage!).....and Scott, thanks for not mistaking me for KK! grin.gif Heh!

Peace out!

-Hart

Hi Hart,

No biggie.

And I agree that envy is certainly a natural part of this hobby. Envy itself doesn't bother me. If it did, I would have no place in this hobby, as there are plenty of collectors with pieces I'd love to own. What does bother me, though, is when members of the OA community seem to think that envying a person's collection is enough reason to pass judgement on them as a person. Disliking someone because of the art they own...I just don't get that.

Glad this has blown over, I didn't have time to respond till now.

...but my question about your response to Bucky was one of clarification. I must have misunderstood what was said...my bad.

That's how I took it, as I was also under the same impression as Hart, as I was standing behind him and could have sworn I heard the same. But you were closer and a clarification is good.

I'd also assumed from that comment and remembering you selling pages after SD, as you mentioned above, including at least the Bucky Red/Fly page that you'd listed in the "This week..." sticky as a SD 06 pickup, that you might sell more. It was a rather nice character page and a memorable comment you had left, which is why I remembered.

Hope that makes you understand where the question was coming from, it wasn't just random. Thanks for setting us straight.

And as far as posting art, it is his art and he doesn't have to share it with the whole world just because you or anyone else wants to see it.. it seems to me you are just trying to pick a fight out of envy.. and suggest that if you want to discuss this further with him to PM or email him privately like he asked..

Gotta admit I almost fell out of my chair when I read that note, before I saw the correction. But just to clarify, as I'm unsure if you meant some of it for me to, Hart I do not believe mentioned anyone had to post there art. I had said "I'll show you mine if you show me yours.", but that was meant to be encouraging not derogatory, if you reread the post I think you'll agree. I actually would love to see more, but obviously it's the owners perogative, and I have no problem with it, you buy it it's yours. No worries. Plus a lot is displayed.

I like narrow collections, and wish to see more, I love Doug Edelmans Miracleman gallery and Jons Ex Machina for example. I wish we could see ones like the mega Sandman collection another collector has as another example.

Also I'll show you mine anyway

blush.gif

lol. OK, thanks for the clarification.

To be honest, I go back and forth on the CAF thing all the time. Some weeks, I really want to post new art...other weeks, I get frustrated and grumpy and don't want to share. Maybe this is just one of those weeks.

I had no idea you were behind Hart in line. Would have been nice to meet you, wish you had introduced yourself.

Court