• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a friendly hello (first post)

31 posts in this topic

This is my first post, I just joined today. I recently decided to take stock of what was in my longboxes. I figured if I need to move, I don't want to keep dragging absolutely everything along with me, so I was curious as to the value of what I have. I collected most of it when I was an adolescent in the early and mid to late 80's, and it is mainly DC and Marvel. I now see the term for this era - this is The Copper Age, I like that. There were lots of new titles starting, and I see now how bad my taste was back then smile.gif, I bought way too many mini-series.

I don't think I really have much that became rare, but I was buying what I liked, and the only reason I stopped collecting comics is that I was becoming more interested in music, and the record/cd store a block away from my LCS usually got most of my funds. From reading this forum, I see that GI Joe #21 has shot up in value, I remember how hard it was finding #2 right when it came out, so I always thought that would be the rarest one ( and I think I will put scans of mine in the "please grade" section, I am curious how it stacks up, but my guess is that mine are not high grade). I read through virtually everything in the Copper Age section, and was instantly taken down memory lane, I really enjoyed that.

Hey John, Welcome to the Boards!

With buying what you liked, you can never go wrong!

As you can see in the Copper Age publishing exploded, giving us many more choices than DC or Marvel.

What other titles did you collect/read? Post some scans if you can!

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!

reading through every thread in the Copper Age section was probably a really good start...now go read everything else!

poke2.gif

From what I have read, and from the replies to my post, I can tell you folks are certainly nice. Now I can ask a stupid question! In order to post a scan, it would be easiest for me to use my yahoo briefcase (with a folder of scans set for public viewing). In the preview for the post I did not see the actual image to which I had linked, just the url. Should the preview post show the image, or is it that you only see the link? I have a feeling that what is needed is an actual image hosting service, like Photobucket

You could use a host like Photobucket or just upload them to the boards here.

To add your pic to your post:

After you type your message click Continue and make sure

I want to preview my post and/or attach a file is still checked. You will then

click Browse and locate your image (on your computer) that you want to post

(no bigger than 200000 bytes) then click Ok, submit.

After you upload your image you will be returned to your posted

message, click on Attachment at the top of your post and copy the link.

Go back to your post and click Edit then under Instant UBB Code click

Image and paste your link to your book and hit Ok. At the bottom,

uncheck Mark as Edited?and I want to preview my modifications and add

or edit an attachment. then click Change this post.

Since I am travelling down memory lane, I have a couple of memories to share. I saw a talk given by Jim Steranko at a public library, this was probably late 70's. I was probably the only kid there, but since my older brother got to go, I was allowed to go with him. The one thing I recall is that Steranko displayed what I have to think was an issue of Conan, and it was a full page panel with a violent image and violent words. He then showed the opposite page of the comic, which was an ad that was in some way promoting peace. I wish I had a clearer memory of what the opposite page was advertising, but I do recall everyone had a good laugh.

Another interesting pairing was something I saw on The Superfriends cartoon one Saturday morning. This was probably in 1980, or 1981. I don't recall enough of the episode, but I do recall a particular educational commercial. It had a group of cute cartoon animals telling us how computers could do wonderful things, and I know they mentioned how you could use it for storing recipes, which is why we all have them today smile.gif Well, the cartoon critters were happily telling us that computers were our friends... or were they ?? (cue mysterious music here) Immediately following that commercial, Superfriends came back to resolve a bit of a cliffhanger. The Superfriends seemingly were stumped by who or what was causing some kind of havoc ( I know, my memory is quite vague about the particulars). I believe it was Batman (as he was a thinking kind of guy) who exclaimed "it is an evil super-computer!". I was old enough to appreciate the irony of the two messages being thrown at my sugar-cereal-addled pre-teenage brain.

Thanks again for all the greetings.

Jayman, you asked what titles I had collected. In the late 70's I bought used Kirby. There used to be comic collector events, so I would use the scarce funds I had (being a pre-teen) to perhaps buy one or two "expensive" comics ( probably a few dollars at the time was expensive to me), and I would get New Gods, Forever People, Mister Miracle, The Demon, and Kamandi. I would try to get what I could at a LCS that had a lot of used comics (Chet's on KK, for anyone from Milwaukee). I stocked up on Devil Dinosaur, Machine Man, 2001, Eternals, and team comics such as FF and Avengers.

If I ever win a lottery I want every Kirby Kamandi and Fourth World title. Some of mine don't even have covers, but they were just so fantastic in any condition. In 5th or 6th grade I had to do an autobiography for an assignment, and on the cover I copied an image of The Demon. Although no-one questioned me about it directly, I wonder now if the catholic-school nuns I had may have worriedly mentioned this at a parent-teacher conference at some point smile.gif

I think my collecting side started when I was able to get a subscription to The Micronauts. I was thrilled seeing it in the mail. I have doubles and even triples of the whole series; I think it was because the ones in the mail would always be damaged in some way, so I would try to get a better copy when I could. I had loads of the toys, so that is what led to the comic obsession with them. A few years later I picked up a lot of the mini-series that were coming out. I really liked it when a brand new title was started, like Alpha Flight and The New Mutants. I was happy to actually be be at the start of something, instead of always trying to track down back issues of long-running titles.

I think The Dark Knight Returns, The Watchmen and Crisis were defining points for me. It was a good time to be a little older (late teens), as the mainstream comics were getting a bit more mature. There should be some Marvel key moments, but I wasn't into Spider-man ( I don't know why, no real reason ), and I bought X-men titles but was never fanatical about them. Perhaps it is what I mentioned above, new titles... but that Marvel "New Universe" was quite stinky, wasn't it? smile.gif I have a Dakota North poster - ha! - along with an Ambush Bug mask cut-out that says it is for the role-playing game.

-John

This is my first post, I just joined today. I recently decided to take stock of what was in my longboxes. I figured if I need to move, I don't want to keep dragging absolutely everything along with me, so I was curious as to the value of what I have. I collected most of it when I was an adolescent in the early and mid to late 80's, and it is mainly DC and Marvel. I now see the term for this era - this is The Copper Age, I like that. There were lots of new titles starting, and I see now how bad my taste was back then smile.gif, I bought way too many mini-series.

I don't think I really have much that became rare, but I was buying what I liked, and the only reason I stopped collecting comics is that I was becoming more interested in music, and the record/cd store a block away from my LCS usually got most of my funds. From reading this forum, I see that GI Joe #21 has shot up in value, I remember how hard it was finding #2 right when it came out, so I always thought that would be the rarest one ( and I think I will put scans of mine in the "please grade" section, I am curious how it stacks up, but my guess is that mine are not high grade). I read through virtually everything in the Copper Age section, and was instantly taken down memory lane, I really enjoyed that.

Are you him?