• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nomenclature for the novice ...

35 posts in this topic

After buying in various ways over the six months since my return to the hobby I've settled on buying collections on eBay and at my local flea market until Jan. 1 and then start upgrading and buying keys.

My question is about the term in buying of "paying a percentage of guide." Does that refer to a percentage of NM, or to the grade specified? For instance, when people say they pay 40 percent of guide for VG, does that mean 40 percent of the "VG" price in Overstreet, or 40 percent of the NM price?

Curious in order to properly price out lots on eBay. I appreciate your patience with the newbie ... crazy.gif

It usually means percentage of condition guide. So its usually not 40% of the NM price. It's 40% of the price for the book in regards to its condition- paying $40 for a VG book that guides for $100 in VG.

Do you mean, how much in % is the Good price compared to Mint? (if so, see the Overstreet price guide.) Or, do you mean if a buyer pays 75% of Guide for Mint, he/she can be expected to pay 40% of Guide for Very Good? (if so, there is no rule; some dealers only will buy NM, some will buy most anything they need at a consistent % of Guide in all grades, but in most cases the answer is "it depends" [on the book, on the grade, on local demand within a specific clientele, etc. etc.])

Cheers,

Z.

I'm curious if, as a collector buying, if there a rule of thumb on the percentage of guide to pay? I don't want to overpay on eBay, at flea markets or when buying collections of people who find comics purchased long ago idle in an old box in their basement.

Is there a "benchmark" used by collectors? Such as paying 40% of guide for G, 50% for VG, 75% for F and 85% for VF ... or is it just a situational thing for individual collectors?

Again, thanks for the time here ...

Always pay the seller's asking price or move on...Haggling not welcome here and is a waste of time. Sellers take time to price their goods. So if you feel that expending that effort should be rewarded with you offering a "percentage" then I'd know where to tell you to take it. Other sellers put up crazy prices...simple answer...move on.

There is no general guide for discount, nor should there be. Thinking like this is dangerous to the hobby. When buying collections from folks, don't pull a Chuckie and take advantage of them. Offer them a reasonable amount that both are happy with or offer to consign for them. Explain to them what it goes dfor on the market or what guide prices really mean.

It doesn't sound like there is any hard and faster accepted percentage to start at per grade. Sounds like it's up to the individual, their conscience and what the seller accepts ...

I guess then my question is what do guide prices really mean? What do you use them for?

You're basically asking if there is a numerical formula for being a savvy buyer. There isn't. Pay as little as you can. Sometimes that will be 50% of NM guide for a NM book on ebay. Sometimes that will be 10% of guide for a VG book in a bulk lot on ebay. Other times it will be 5 times NM guide for a pedigree Silver Age book only in 9.2 or even 10 times NM guide for a VG book because of rarity.

In other words, there are no hard and fast rules. The guide is just that, a guide, and in the grand scheme of things it's only one component in the marketplace.

As a GENERAL rule of thumb, try to pay less of a percentage of guide in correlation to the condition of the book. So you should be able to get a better deal on a book in GD 2.0 than you could get on a book in 9.4.

Thanks, and you make complete sense. Just wanted to make sure I understood before beginning to peel off the cash. Sounds like the guide is a third-party reference point for both buyer and seller.

You have been very helpful and if I figure out how to give stars you will get them Mr. rob_react ...

Your buying price should be no more than 50% of what you sell it for. The Guide is almost irrelevant at that point - because you probably aren't going to SELL the book for Guide. If you sell the book for 70% of Guide, you need to pay no more than 35% of Guide, etc. etc.

I don't want to overpay on eBay, at flea markets or when buying collections of people who find comics purchased long ago idle in an old box in their basement

I've purchased on e-bay for a few years now and have noticed that certain books will sell for close to guide while others will sell only for a percentage of guide. So, I wouldn't go by a hard-fast rule here. If you don't want to over-pay, just look and see what that particular book has already sold for. All the information is there at the click of the mouse.

As an example, I've followed early Silver Age X-Men from about 2 - 12 and they all seem to be getting pretty close to guide prices. You can get some really good deals right now on Tales of Suspense or Tales To Astonish. Just a couple titles I've been chasing. A smart collector knowing this would I guess buy the TOS and TTA now, and perhaps wait for the demand on the X-Men to die down. The problem is, you don't know for sure if this is going to happen. grin.gif

Although Darth has suggested not to haggle with dealers, as much as I don't enjoy haggling and walk away if I don't like the price, I can't help feeling when your at a flea market, everything is negotiable.

I think that haggling with the dealer is part of the deal as long as it doesn't get outrageous... I usually ask if they'll come down to a certain price off their sticker, and if they won't then I just walk away... but a lot of times I think you have to ask if the dealer will come down, because ivariably, they will come down off their price. But, the flip side is that just because boxes are marked 50% off doesn't mean you're getting a deal if it's filled with over graded material that's also overpriced... it's fairly common to get people to look, so the deal isn't all that good. A lot of comic stores who don't know much about back issues will do that.

If it were me, I would want to establish a solid relationship with the dealer before I ever asked him to take anything off his posted price. Go ahead and spend some money with the guy. If you just walked in off the street, picked up a high dollar item, and asked if he'd knock off fifteen percent, you might be met with: "Sure, if you can get the landlord to knock fifteen percent off my rent..."

Don't ask me how I know this. blush.gif

Always pay the seller's asking price or move on...Haggling not welcome here and is a waste of time. Sellers take time to price their goods. So if you feel that expending that effort should be rewarded with you offering a "percentage" then I'd know where to tell you to take it. Other sellers put up crazy prices...simple answer...move on.

Hey Darth, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you speaking of the ettiquette of buying & selling here on the forums? 'Cause it has been my (limited) experience at cons-- not online-- that everything is negotiable, and the more ya buy, the lower the per book price you can get.

Cheers,

Z.

Hey Darth, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you speaking of the ettiquette of buying & selling here on the forums? 'Cause it has been my (limited) experience at cons-- not online-- that everything is negotiable, and the more ya buy, the lower the per book price you can get.

Cheers,

Z.

I agree Z. I have been going to cons since the 80's and i rarely pay the sticker price. Many times the dealers mark up the prices for exactly this reason and expect to move a little on the price.

Darth, whats the harm in asking for a better price? I think just whipping out cash on the spot without haggling is a good way to spend more money for less... JMHO

actually, I don't think I've ever had Bob not give some sort of discount on any book I've ever purchased from him... although I've never bought an ASM#41 or a FF#1 or anything, i don't think Bob has a policy against discounting...

I've had the same experience though, most dealers have a slightly higher sticker than they intend to sell the book for... however, if you buy a larger # of books then they're definitely willing to cut more of a break in price... and I was going to say the same thing... that I don't think I've ever paid sticker flat out on any book at a show...

Agree w/ Brian. I've bought from Bob at shows and online, and he has always given me a discount. At the Philly show, he quoted me lower prices than what he had marked before I could even ask if he'd discount them!

Chris