• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Combat Casey #13

11 posts in this topic

"Why should I bother grading a boring old Atlas war comic?" you may ask. Well, I'm curious as to how others percieve tanning as effecting grade, especially on a white cover. Structurally, this copy only has a few relatively minor issues, the worst being the slight paper loss at the bottom right. The back cover is in even better shape, but has a quarter inch dust shadow along the bottom.

But as you can see thee is some tanning along the edges, that is evident as well on the inside cover edges and along the bottom of the interior pages which are otherwise cream to off-white.

The line above the A in Combat is a small crease, not a tear.

comcas13.jpg

Usually I would grade a book with a moderate amount of tanning to be 1 to 2 steps lower than an equivalent counterpart. Let us say this book was a FN/VF 7.0, but I would give it a FN+ 6.5 or maybe a FN 6.0 because of the tanning (depends on the severity of the tanning on the interior). I would not grade tanning harsher on a white cover, just as I would not grade spine stress harsher on a black cover. Both stand out and may hurt eye appeal of course (which translates into $$).

Dan

Usually I would grade a book with a moderate amount of tanning to be 1 to 2 steps lower than an equivalent counterpart. Let us say this book was a FN/VF 7.0, but I would give it a FN+ 6.5 or maybe a FN 6.0 because of the tanning (depends on the severity of the tanning on the interior). I would not grade tanning harsher on a white cover, just as I would not grade spine stress harsher on a black cover. Both stand out and may hurt eye appeal of course (which translates into $$).

Dan

A reasoned analysis -- I could see a 6.5 here on the same basis. The wear along the bottom edge bothers me more than the tanning.

Thanks for participating. I recieved a few other grades ranging from 4.0-6.5 on a GA thread.

If not for the tanning I would grade this book a borderline 6.5/7.0 - the paper loss, while small, might keep it out of solid 7.0 territory for some. Personally I punish tanning on a sliding scale depending on severity and initial grade. For this amount (minor to moderate, but accented by the white cover), I might drop a 9.4 to an 8.0, but probably wouldn't change the grade on a 2.0 at all. All things considered, I'd say a safe grade is 5.5.

As for what the tanning means in potential resale $$$ - it was a $12 ebay book, so I'm not too concerned, but I agree with the point that the negative eye-appeal of tanning on a white cover could effect a book's value beyond the actual grade.

12 dollar ebay book, seems like a nice deal...

I like the book, haven't seen it before, like the Atlas War Titles - Cold War Korea scene...

At the risk of starting a mad rush towards Atlas War books, I believe they are currently the single best deal in comics - WAAAY undervalued. The stories are always entertaining, and there are some great art jobs from the likes of Colan, Heath and Severin. There is no complete list of who did what in these books, and there are loads of titles, pre and post code, so there's lots to discover. I also find that they appear more often in nice grade (ie, FN and better) that they're DC contemporaries.... and lots cheaper too.

And if you can get any of the vicious pre-code covers, well, that's just heaven.

Nice book... $12 is a STEAL.

Shep