• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Signature Question:

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I just have a question. I was thinking of buying a signed copy (by Greg Horn) of GI-Joe: an american hero # 22 "The Return of Serpentor" (buymetoys.com exclusive cover) for $12.99 this wednesday.

Do you think this would be a good buy? I'm just asking because I'm sort of new to collecting signature comic books in general.

Any advise? I'd really appreciate any kind of help. Thanks. thumbsup2.gif

Hi everyone,

I just have a question. I was thinking of buying a signed copy (by Greg Horn) of GI-Joe: an american hero # 22 "The Return of Serpentor" (buymetoys.com exclusive cover) for $12.99 this wednesday.

Do you think this would be a good buy? I'm just asking because I'm sort of new to collecting signature comic books in general.

Any advise? I'd really appreciate any kind of help. Thanks. thumbsup2.gif

Is it a CGC signature series?

Is it a CGC signature series?

No.... I'm afraid not. frown.gif

I think I might buy it anyway, even if it is overpriced because I'm a big GI-Joe fan, ..I just want to know if this may go up in value or not. Thanks. wink.gif

Well, if it doesn't have a COA or something it will be hard to verify in a future sale and that will affect the value. Otherwise, it is hard to tell. It may go up. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, if it doesn't have a COA or something it will be hard to verify in a future sale and that will affect the value. Otherwise, it is hard to tell. It may go up. confused-smiley-013.gif

Darn! I wonder how it could get varified? It comes with a buymetoys.com card inside the bag and board it's secured in.

....oh, I forgot to mention, I'm buying it at the local buymetoys.com comic store here in South Bend. thumbsup2.gif

I guess I could talk to the owner, before I buy it.

makepoint.gif

he asked if he had Romita sign it...gossip.gif

actually, it would get a Yellow, with the same note below the title and issue as is there currently

ACTUALLY, no it wouldn't.

The book is already signed by Stan Lee - the grade is low enough that the pre-existing signature counts AGAINST the grade - which is why the label is currently UNIVERSAL, instead of Qualified.

HOWEVER, his question, which I answered, is what would happen if you added JOHN ROMITA SR.'s signature to the book in front of a CGC Signature Series Witness and the answer remains the same: the book would come back QUALIFIED (Green) because of the Stan Lee Signature.

Pre-signed books are NOT eligible for Signature Series (unless they are already Signature Series).

It is because they are interior signatures, and they were counted against the overall grade of the book (i.e. they are considered defects). The two names written on the first page in ink could be anyone's names - we can't see them.

The problem with an unverified cover sig being treated in such a manner is that it could be interpreted or misrepresented as being verified, especially when the signature is clearly readable.

If this were a pedigree and the pedigree mark identifiable by a distinguishing mark or writing (and then confirmed by a pedigree expert like Mark Haspel) then there might be an exception made.

Ok, I guess I could settle for the book getting a green label, ..but would it still be worth "atleast" the $12.99 I'm paying for it?

Also, ..I know this is Greg Horns signature, a few months ago he was at the store signing these books.

"GI-Joe: an american hero # 22 variant" thumbsup2.gif Also, ..only 2,000 of these were produced total.. would'nt that make it go up atleast a tad bit in value a few years from now? confused-smiley-013.gif

The scarcity of the book would be more vital to the book maintaining value than the signature, unless the book comes with a coa. I'm not sure that Greg Horn signed books are currently capturing premium prices beyond the value of the book itself.

Do you think this book is worth $12.99 as is? That's the first question I would ask myself. Do you think that, long term, limited edition G.I.Joe comics will be of interest to collector's and fans?

I find variant pricing to be pretty unstable these days myself. Long term value of these items is pretty hard to predict, and G.I. Joe isn't exactly a smoking hot property these days - not to say it couldn't become hot again, or that a limited print run variant supply doesn't exceed the demand for such items.

And getting it graded will still cost you an additional $16 on top of the $12.99 you will have to pay for getting it. Once graded, do you feel it will be worth the $28.99 you will be investing in it?

The scarcity of the book would be more vital to the book maintaining value than the signature, unless the book comes with a coa. I'm not sure that Greg Horn signed books are currently capturing premium prices beyond the value of the book itself.

Do you think this book is worth $12.99 as is? That's the first question I would ask myself. Do you think that, long term, limited edition G.I.Joe comics will be of interest to collector's and fans?

I find variant pricing to be pretty unstable these days myself. Long term value of these items is pretty hard to predict, and G.I. Joe isn't exactly a smoking hot property these days - not to say it couldn't become hot again, or that a limited print run variant supply doesn't exceed the demand for such items.

And getting it graded will still cost you an additional $16 on top of the $12.99 you will have to pay for getting it. Once graded, do you feel it will be worth the $28.99 you will be investing in it?

Maybe I'm better off just buying the unsigned variant for $6.99. Sounds like it wouldn't be worth my investment afterall, ..but I don't know, ..I'm a big Greg Horn fan, ..I love his artwork, so I might just buy it for that reason only, ..and probably will just leave it Raw, as is. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll probably buy the signed copy, and the unsigned copy and will just settle with getting the unsigned variant slabbed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here is the book in question.... take a look, it's a nice looking cover..

Click Here: http://www.buymetoys.com/catalog/images/Exclusive-Cover-web.jpg

cloud9.gif

That is a nice looking cover!

If they have unsigned copies available of the Greg Horn variant why not get that and then if you are so inclined you could get Greg Horn to sign it in front of a Signature Series Witness (at a show like MegaCon that he usually attends) so that it does qualify for Signature Series.