• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

For some reason that Andy Panda 154 was a tough book to find when I was putting together the set. Don't know why, but it was the second to last one I found.

Here's a couple which fit this thread.

jacky.jpg

I have a VERY vivid memory of reading Jacky's Diary when I was a kid. I've been looking for a copy of it for years, and not just because I dream of assembling a whole Four Color run. I should actually hunt for it instead of hoping to stumble upon a copy.

The book is based on a short-lived syndicated strip by Jack Mendelsohn, in case that's not obvious. (The strip didn't have the apostrophe!) I think the Dell comic was original stories, not reprints. Mendelsohn drew the strip in an intentionally childish style. It was full of everyday observations filtered though the mind of a child, resulting in lots of odd puns and wordplay.

I still say "Cup Scouts", but I remembered it as a Walt Kelly pun. Maybe it was both.

Chip Monk Petrol. HAW!

I couldn't have been much older than the eponymous Jacky when I read it, and I remember to this day puzzling over some of the jokes until they sunk in. One, in particular, in a strip about Jacky at summer camp.

"Oliver Sudden, one of the boys at camp, Fatso Henry, started screaming and yelling..."

I couldn't figure out who Oliver was. (Sound it out.)

I'd love to see a reprint volume of the strip.

Another comic book turned away from the Isle of Misfit Funnybooks!

hubert.jpg

On the other hand, Hubert was a long-lived strip that I have no memory of ever reading at the time or in reprints. Hubert apparently advises removing your diving helmet underwater. Maybe he's related to Arthur Curry.

In my opinion, Hubert is welcome to emigrate to the Isle of Misfit Funnybooks, although I could use a copy in my Four Color set.

Jack

hahaha! Thats a nice take on the Boys lIfe!

I have never seen the hubert or Jackys diary before, wow! I like the mermaid cover, but that weird as he11 pink covered kids drawing looking Jackys diary is COMPLETELY new to me. Too Weird for words!

I did manage to get a nice Looking Fairy Tales #2 With that gorgeous painted cver, thanks for posting it Adamstrange!

This is an cool series, this issue of course being of particular interest to me because of my science in comics fetish. I actually paid *CHOKE* over $12 for a fine copy of this one, although later found out that it's one of the common in the series and picked up duplicates. One of them has the similar splatters of distributor's ink. I wonder whether they just got tossed back in the truck and trundled back to the warehouse because no self-respecting kid would waste a quarter on this instead of a Marvel monster book, a Superman and a candy bar.

Maybe there's another reason why I like it.

1477314-JinAthens.JPG1477314-einsteinworldaroundus18.JPG

Jack (on the left)

worldaroundus18.jpg

I have a VERY vivid memory of reading Jacky's Diary when I was a kid. I've been looking for a copy of it for years.

I wasn't aware of Mendelsohn's work until a couple of years ago when Hogan's Alley Summer 2002 issue (the best magazine most here are not reading) ran an interview with Jack Mendelsohn. Fortunately, its entirety is available online at Mendelsohn's Interview with some of the printed piece's illustrations.

This is an cool series, this issue of course being of particular interest to me because of my science in comics fetish. I actually paid *CHOKE* over $12 for a fine copy of this one, although later found out that it's one of the common in the series and picked up duplicates. One of them has the similar splatters of distributor's ink. I wonder whether they just got tossed back in the truck and trundled back to the warehouse because no self-respecting kid would waste a quarter on this instead of a Marvel monster book, a Superman and a candy bar.

Jack (on the left)

worldaroundus18.jpg

Take away the 1980's "amber-vision" sunglasses and you are a dead ringer for Albert!

I have a VERY vivid memory of reading Jacky's Diary when I was a kid. I've been looking for a copy of it for years.

I wasn't aware of Mendelsohn's work until a couple of years ago when Hogan's Alley Summer 2002 issue (the best magazine most here are not reading) ran an interview with Jack Mendelsohn. Fortunately, its entirety is available online at Mendelsohn's Interview with some of the printed piece's illustrations.

Interesting reading. Thanks Scrooge!

Jack (on the left)

Take away the 1980's "amber-vision" sunglasses and you are a dead ringer for Albert!

And that picture is over 5 years old -- I don't keep many pix of myself on my computer.

The resemblance is getting closer. Of course the students get a laugh out of it.

Jack

One of them has the similar splatters of distributor's ink. I wonder whether they just got tossed back in the truck and trundled back to the warehouse because no self-respecting kid would waste a quarter on this instead of a Marvel monster book, a Superman and a candy bar.

I think it's just that the "Bakertowne" warehouse was extremely thick with Archies and Gilbertons. I have a bunch of ink-spattered comics from both publishers. The copy you show is actually light for a World Around Us as those seemed particularly heavily inked.

Marc

any one like to make an offer? funds or trade?

If it looked like Pedigreeman's copy I'd be all over it. cloud9.gif

FlyingAces1small.jpg