• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

I find the Dolly really disturbing but love the Fairy Tale one!

It's funny how many people had a similar reaction to Dolly. I was going to use the word creepy.

I think they would drag Dolly behind the short bus.

Little doubt about what inspired your painting style, shiverbones!

Jack

I find the Dolly really disturbing but love the Fairy Tale one! thumbsup2.gif

I agree 100%. Weird Dolly! ZD was quite capable to put out strange books, to boot -

1489063-Beanbags2.jpg

Don't you go dissin' Ziff! poke2.gif

I like this one. blush.gif

Yeah, i bought this book specifically for its relation to what I paint. When I saw it pouing over a gerber recently I almost *spoon*! I never noticed it before, yet it has the same deliriously sweet yet creepy as can be paradox I go for. I"d love to find a VFish so I can frame it....

...drag behind the short bus.... 27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif

The Fairy Tales #2 is such a nice looking book, and its about 10 times tougher then the #1 which is always available. The reflection under the bears chin is so masterfully done cloud9.gif I wonder who the artist on these books were, its obviously the same guy....

How about these then? Religious themed books tend to earn no respect. I am one short of the full run on these. I am still missing the Story of David, issue # 4 - (Please no salacious comment about Samson and his relationship with the lion ... they are struggling ok.)

1489189-TalesfromtheGreatBook1s.jpg

1489189-TalesfromtheGreatBook2s.jpg

1489189-TalesfromtheGreatBook3s.jpg

I've mentioned this before somewhere but this is the best work Lehti ever did -

1489189-TalesfromtheGreatBook1Pages.jpg

1489189-TalesfromtheGreatBook3Pages.jpg

1489189-TalesfromtheGreatBook3Pages.jpg.e3c6ab0cc444c1760f0cc7f57f01316a.jpg

Scrooge those are beautiful. If and when you upgrade please keep me in mind for these cast-offs.

Sadly you don't upgrade.

How many pages are these ? 48?

Edited by mica

Yeah, i bought this book specifically for its relation to what I paint. When I saw it pouing over a gerber recently I almost *spoon*! I never noticed it before, yet it has the same deliriously sweet yet creepy as can be paradox I go for. I"d love to find a VFish so I can frame it....

The Fairy Tales #2 is such a nice looking book, and its about 10 times tougher then the #1 which is always available. The reflection under the bears chin is so masterfully done cloud9.gif I wonder who the artist on these books were, its obviously the same guy....

Norman Saunders and Clarence Doore painted some Ziff-Davis covers, but did they ever work in this style? I bet the experts at the Grand Comic-Book Database discussion lists could ID the artist in an instant, although Fairy Tales isn't indexed yet.

Jack

Norman Saunders and Clarence Doore painted some Ziff-Davis covers, but did they ever work in this style? I bet the experts at the Grand Comic-Book Database discussion lists could ID the artist in an instant, although Fairy Tales isn't indexed yet.

Jack

Allan Anderson painted quite a few covers and I'm pretty comfortable with recognizing his work -- these don't look like his.

Although taking at second look at FTP 11 the house and lady in the background are typical of him.

Edited by adamstrange

Thats a good lead, i'll do some research on Anderson thumbsup2.gif

They had an article on him and Norm Saunders in Illustration magazine 11.

Illustration71p72.jpg

Illustration11p71.jpg

thats him completely! The way he handles dark browns and greens, and the way he lightens them is a dead giveaway! WOW! Now I have to find that issue....

Thanks so much!!!

You're welcome. I scanned these a while back when Scrooge and I were discussing attribution of some Kid Cowboy cover art.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking Anderson's the most profilic ZD comic book cover artist. I like his pulp covers for ZD as well.

TwoCompSci7.jpg

TwoCompSci2.jpg

TwoCompSci6.jpg

Random musings - we talked about all fabulous dogs recently but we forgot to mention Flash. Huh you will say, Flash what? Flash who? Flash the (other) Wonder Dog ( 893naughty-thumb.gif don't tell Rex or Rang-a-Tang), the Hooded Horseman's dog of course -

1489631-HoodedHorseman22Story1s-Flash-TheWonderDog.jpg

and of course, there's also the trusty Lightning, companion of the Western Kid -

1489631-WesternKid8Story2s.jpg

1489631-WesternKid8Story2s.jpg.c7763598c57e0afdb169d3072b6b7e66.jpg

I like his pulp covers for ZD as well.

You can't beat a $5 value for only 25¢. Wonderful split covers. I believe that Dave Saunders is going to have a comprehensive look at Anderson's life in an / the upcoming issue of Illustration actually.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking Anderson's the most profilic ZD comic book cover artist. I like his pulp covers for ZD as well.

After all this great Anderson art on display, we have to cleanse our palates with a truly mediocre Short Bus covers. I can't think of a duller one than this.

Will Fido make it over the fence? The suspense is killing me.

1490822-treaschv8n2.JPG

Jack

almost as dull as my Disclose Your Identity bio