• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

Uh - I don't think this is a snoozer...

maybe compared to Frazetta WSF 29 but this is a cool little BR cover dude...

I am gonna have to look out for this now... grin.gif

That's cool! I thought it was a cover only a Buck Rogers completionist like me could love. smile.gif

It's actually pretty tough to find compared to the preceding Fritz issues, since it's the second to last issue of the run. Check with Joe Nacca at Golden Age Comics - I think he has a VG copy listed for $20 or $30 if I remember correctly.

I just posted this one on the holiday thread, but it probably deserves a seat on the short bus too.

Ha Ha Comics 59, November 1948, ACG (Creston).

Jack

1581165-HaHaComics59.jpg

hello all...

a comic only a pulping machine could love poke2.gif

rick

I just posted this one on the holiday thread, but it probably deserves a seat on the short bus too.

Jack

1581165-HaHaComics59.jpg

hello all...

rick

Having now indexed it, I'd have to say that the production values were way better than average. The artwork, mostly by Ken Hultgren, was consistently good. The oddly shaped panel borders made the layouts more interesting than most funny animal books. The plots were surreal enough to be entertaining -- not as bizarre as L. B. Cole's funny animal stories, and not that I could stand a constant diet of this stuff -- but fun. I was pleasantly surprised.

Ha Ha Comics gets to sit up front.

This one, on the other hand, took all the patience I could muster.

1585407-CoP70.jpg

I am not one of those people that finds Ernie Bushmiller a comic genius.

Jack

Jack

1581165-HaHaComics59.jpg

hello all...

rick

Having now indexed it, I'd have to say that the production values were way better than average. The artwork, mostly by Ken Hultgren, was consistently good. The oddly shaped panel borders made the layouts more interesting than most funny animal books. The plots were surreal enough to be entertaining -- not as bizarre as L. B. Cole's funny animal stories, and not that I could stand a constant diet of this stuff -- but fun. I was pleasantly surprised.

Ha Ha Comics gets to sit up front.

This one, on the other hand, took all the patience I could muster.

1585407-CoP70.jpg

I am not one of those people that finds Ernie Bushmiller a comic genius.

Jack

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

lol I like the book. In fact, I went out and bought the CGC 9.2 NM- unrestored copy that tops the census.

I've been trying to sell my undercopy now for almost a year and every time I try people act like I am trying to infect them with the plague. I can't think of a book more underrated that gets less love than this one...

As far as GA key issues go, I get the impression this one rides the short bus.

lol I like the book. In fact, I went out and bought the CGC 9.2 NM- unrestored copy that tops the census.

I've been trying to sell my undercopy now for almost a year and every time I try people act like I am trying to infect them with the plague. I can't think of a book more underrated that gets less love than this one...

As far as GA key issues go, I get the impression this one rides the short bus.

Well, the resto doesn't help I'm sure, but yeah, compared to other keys, especially other DC keys, I suppose it is towards the bottom of the list. But still it doesn't belong in here with Ha Ha Comics. blush.gif

lol that is probably true. (I actually just read the thread for the first time today, and only read the first post about posting books that get no love)

I immediately thought of this book.

I remember a little while after I bought my New Comics 1 9.2, I came across an overstreet ad written by a Platinum age collector looking to buy any/all platinum age keys. I called and mentioned both of my New Comics 1s (to someone who only collects platinum age books mind you) and there was no interest at all in either one.

The other day I was talking to a friend of mine (trying to work out a way I could acquire a Spider-man 1 he is looking to sell. Since I don't have that much cash at the moment, we were trying to work out a cash/trade deal.) I was going down the list of the books in my collection to see if he had any interest in trading for them. I got to the New Comics 1, and he said very loud and very quickly "God, no" and laughed.

Overstreet won't even add a guide price for my 9.2 frown.gif

Sometimes I think I'm the only person on earth who likes this book. So when I saw something about posting books that get no love I thought of it immediately.

Oh I might as well repost some of that interior art -

Izzy and Dizzy still with their Magic Lamp -

Still? Did they not have it in some stories?

and Anthony and Cleopatra, the best drawn strip in my issue -

Are these all Hultgren? Did he always draw the whole book? Did he write the stories, or was Hughes already doing most of the writing (not yet under his many pseudonyms)? In #59, the Squirrely story either isn't Hultgren's work or another inker made his pencils look different. The most surreal story in #59 is about "Doc" E. Z. Duzit, a human character who uses snuff to create a cloud of dust while he quick-changes into a disguise -- almost a bizarre superpower. No sappy happy ending, either! I don't know whether he was a continuing character because so few ACG funny-animal are indexed.

I'm curious about your high price -- mine was a modest $8.50 for a respectable fine- or so.

Thanks for reposting the pages.

Jack

Jack, your Ha Ha made me Giggle smirk.gif

You know you love it and were just looking for an excuse to show it off!

I have a beater copy of Giggle #24 kicking around somewhere in storage. I'll have to dig it out next time I'm hunting.

Jack

1586171-Giggle82s.jpg

I'm curious about your high price -- mine was a modest $8.50 for a respectable fine- or so.

I paid a whole $6.45 for what I recorded as a Fr/G. Off eBay of course ... Yet again for these, it's not about the price, it's all about finding a copy. Yet, oddball funny animal books are easier to find than some random Romance books. Will buy the following: All True Romance 4, Best Romance 5, Diary Secrets 11, Girl's Romance 13, Love Experiences 11, Love Romances 21, Lovers 38, New Romances 10, Pictorial Romances 12, Real Love 45, Realistic Romances 5, Romantic Hearts 6, Romantic Love 9, Strange Confessions 1, Teen-Age Romances 21, Today's Romance 5, True Love Pictorial 1, True Secrets 15, True Sweethearts Secrets 6, True-To-Life Romances 10, Wartime Romances 5, Miss America v.7 # 44

Jack, how on Earth did you figure out that I do indeed like the cover to that Giggle comic? It's funny! At least to me ...

I paid a whole $6.45 for what I recorded as a Fr/G.

Shocking!

Jack, how on Earth did you figure out that I do indeed like the cover to that Giggle comic? It's funny! At least to me ...

To reverse the old Life cereal commercial, "Give it to Mikëy! He likes everything!"

Jack

"He likes it! Hey Mikëy!"

Edited by selegue