• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

1585407-CoP70.jpg

I am not one of those people that finds Ernie Bushmiller a comic genius.

Jack

I'll second that. I give many creators a wide berth, even if I don't care for their work. Bushmiller, though, always left me cold. Longevity doesn't always equate with genius.

lol that is probably true. (I actually just read the thread for the first time today, and only read the first post about posting books that get no love)

I immediately thought of this book.

I remember a little while after I bought my New Comics 1 9.2, I came across an overstreet ad written by a Platinum age collector looking to buy any/all platinum age keys. I called and mentioned both of my New Comics 1s (to someone who only collects platinum age books mind you) and there was no interest at all in either one.

The other day I was talking to a friend of mine (trying to work out a way I could acquire a Spider-man 1 he is looking to sell. Since I don't have that much cash at the moment, we were trying to work out a cash/trade deal.) I was going down the list of the books in my collection to see if he had any interest in trading for them. I got to the New Comics 1, and he said very loud and very quickly "God, no" and laughed.

Overstreet won't even add a guide price for my 9.2 frown.gif

Sometimes I think I'm the only person on earth who likes this book. So when I saw something about posting books that get no love I thought of it immediately.

I LOVE New Comics #1, if the price was right, I'd buy it. I just don't want to put a ton into it.

To reverse the old Life cereal commercial, "Give it to Mikëy! He likes everything!"

Because you didn't ask for it, here are a couple of interior pages from the Giggle book. Here's a fun page from the Witch Hazel story -

1588070-Giggle82Story3Pages.jpg

and a Hultgren splash -

1588070-Giggle82Story5s.jpg

1588070-Giggle82Story5s.jpg.da878922bd179d02c1eda29bda6a9db7.jpg

The Witch Hazel page is Hultgren too, right?

Familiar looking demon!

1585407-demon3.jpg

I'd have used a Kirby original, but this artist makes the ear flaps closer to the same size. Where do those come from? Creature from the Black Lagoon?

Fun pages!

Jack

Because you didn't ask for it, here are a couple of interior pages from the Giggle book. Here's a fun page from the Witch Hazel story -

1588070-Giggle82Story3Pages.jpg

and a Hultgren splash -

... Yet again for these, it's not about the price, it's all about finding a copy. Yet, oddball funny animal books are easier to find than some random Romance books. Will buy the following: All True Romance 4, Best Romance 5, Diary Secrets 11, Girl's Romance 13, Love Experiences 11, Love Romances 21, Lovers 38, New Romances 10, Pictorial Romances 12, Real Love 45, Realistic Romances 5, Romantic Hearts 6, Romantic Love 9, Strange Confessions 1, Teen-Age Romances 21, Today's Romance 5, True Love Pictorial 1, True Secrets 15, True Sweethearts Secrets 6, True-To-Life Romances 10, Wartime Romances 5, Miss America v.7 # 44

Speaking of short-bus romance books, have you watched the March of the Oddball Romance Books on GCD's new cover display lately?

I don't know whether this link will work:

Today's GCD covers

If not, just go to www.comics.org, hit the "see all covers posted today" link and scroll back over the last week or so. I don't know who is uploading incredibly obscure romance covers. It was certainly instructive for me to find out what those sorority girls do while they claim to be studying for their organic chemistry exams!

1585407-sororitysecrets1.jpg

Jack

Speaking of short-bus romance books, have you watched the March of the Oddball Romance Books on GCD's new cover display lately?

YES! I check it every day (mostly to make sure that any new Atlas covers uploaded on the GCD and not in Atlas Tales is uploaded there as well). I've enjoyed this past week of Romance. You and I, Jack, just the two of us ...

Btw, I don't know if the Witch Hazel page is Hultgren or not but I'd say not. Where's S. Rowe when you need him?

It was certainly instructive for me to find out what those sorority girls do while they claim to be studying for their organic chemistry exams!

Jack

What do you mean? It looks like organic chemistry is exactly what's going on there. devil.gif

YES! I check it every day (mostly to make sure that any new Atlas covers uploaded on the GCD and not in Atlas Tales is uploaded there as well). I've enjoyed this past week of Romance. You and I, Jack, just the two of us ...

Gawrsh! Isn't that romantic!

I wonder whose collection it is. Not a condition fanatic, but the scope is incredibly broad.

Btw, I don't know if the Witch Hazel page is Hultgren or not but I'd say not. Where's S. Rowe when you need him?

He's one of the few who can reliably ID the humor artists, isn't he?

Jack

Oh and I forgot to mention about those Romance covers that it allowed me to see for the first time the painted covers by Fujitani on the Boy Meets Girl Lev Gleason series. Nice work.

Also in keeping with Ha Ha, Giggle and Hultgren. I've had a hankering for someone in Alter Ego to do an article / an analysis of cartoon animators' work in comics as it was very frequent for animators to moonlight for comic companies. Fate has it that I ran into such a link today.

First, there's this entry in John Kricfalusi's blog about Dan Gordon's work for Giggle and also contains a link to a nice website showcasing stories by Bob Wickersham, Jack Bradbury, Ken Hultgren, Lynn Karp and Gil Turner - linky

It was certainly instructive for me to find out what those sorority girls do while they claim to be studying for their organic chemistry exams!

Jack

What do you mean? It looks like organic chemistry is exactly what's going on there. devil.gif

That's right! It's like the tradition of a campus-area bar calling itself The Library so the kiddies can call home and say, with a straight face, they spent the whole evening at the library.

And they are studying very intently.

Is there a signature on the doorknob in the foreground?

Jack

assiduously not making any rude jokes based on organic reaction types

Oh and I forgot to mention about those Romance covers that it allowed me to see for the first time the painted covers by Fujitani on the Boy Meets Girl Lev Gleason series. Nice work.

Also in keeping with Ha Ha, Giggle and Hultgren. I've had a hankering for someone in Alter Ego to do an article / an analysis of cartoon animators' work in comics as it was very frequent for animators to moonlight for comic companies. Fate has it that I ran into such a link today.

First, there's this entry in John Kricfalusi's blog about Dan Gordon's work for Giggle and also contains a link to a nice website showcasing stories by Bob Wickersham, Jack Bradbury, Ken Hultgren, Lynn Karp and Gil Turner - linky

Awesome link, Scrooge! That Snooper story is pure comic genius -- the Lady drop kicking the mutt was the highlight of the piece but I love the energy in the story. Lottsa good comments in Kricfalusi's post as well.

The Witch Hazel page is Hultgren too, right?

Familiar looking demon!

1585407-demon3.jpg

I'd have used a Kirby original, but this artist makes the ear flaps closer to the same size. Where do those come from? Creature from the Black Lagoon?

Fun pages!

Jack

Kirby's demon is a swipe from Hal Foster wherein Prince Valiant fashions a gruesome mask from the skin of a plucked goose in order to frighten a rogue noble.