• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

Wow! Did Kirby (and Hultgren) acknowledge the swipe?

Jack

Kirby's demon is a swipe from Hal Foster wherein Prince Valiant fashions a gruesome mask from the skin of a plucked goose in order to frighten a rogue noble.

For those who haven't seen it before:

8132PVdemonsm.jpg

Recent arrival at GCD.

A mutant dog whacking a puppet on the head with a giant red hammer crudely attached to his tail = short bus fare ticket.

Unusual border effect that came and went through the run.

I don't own it, but I'd like to.

Jack

1597235-PJ306.jpg

I believe Kirby acknowledged his inspiration.

Not much action on the Short Bus lately.

As humbly posted on "this week":

The Fox and the Crow 7

A VERY well-loved copy. Nothing to get excited about, but it is a complete, readable copy of a 1952-53 DC book with decent page quality. I can't complain about a Gerber 6 (whatever that really means) for a mere $12. Watch for my index to appear soon on GCD!

Jack

1620770-foxcrow7.jpg

Edited by selegue

I like the cover art and stories to Fox and Crow -- definitely not a short bus book as far as I'm concerned. sumo.gif

Jim Davis was a very talented cartoonist. Apparently he drew The Hound and the Hare stories too. Nice style there too, even more "open" than Fox and Crow -- more like Sheldon Mayer in places.

I like the cover art and stories to Fox and Crow -- definitely not a short bus book as far as I'm concerned. sumo.gif

Me neither, or I wouldn't have bought it. I doubt that single-digit issues are very easy to come by. Maybe impossible in high grade (I wouldn't know).

Jack

Jim Davis was a very talented cartoonist. Apparently he drew The Hound and the Hare stories too. Nice style there too, even more "open" than Fox and Crow -- more like Sheldon Mayer in places.

Me neither, or I wouldn't have bought it. I doubt that single-digit issues are very easy to come by. Maybe impossible in high grade (I wouldn't know).

Jack

A friend of mine has a couple killer single digits but has steadfastly refused to sell them to me for years. frustrated.gif

Allright, I'll post it again. Came in earlier this month. I know that Marc of HoC had a VF copy for sale a while ago but knew better than to offer it to me since I can't pay that much for it. Maybe he still has a scan he can share 893crossfingers-thumb.gif -

1621086-FoxandtheCrow2s.jpg

1621086-FoxandtheCrow2s.jpg.02aa09de40c86e727f68fd8f28b985d5.jpg

Allright, I'll post it again. Came in earlier this month.

A damn sight nicer than the #7 I posted. Looks like one o' them March 1952 books.

Jack

I know that Marc of HoC had a VF copy for sale a while ago but knew better than to offer it to me since I can't pay that much for it. Maybe he still has a scan he can share 893crossfingers-thumb.gif -

1621086-FoxandtheCrow2s.jpg

mm0111.jpg

What kind of world do we live in that these smokin' Blondies would be relegated to the short bus? These can ride on my long bus any day.

If I had a long bus. They can ride in my truck.

"Don't touch that dial!"

(showing my age)

They are pretty cool. The characters seem off-model on some of the covers, esp. #18. Did Chic Young draw them or farm them out?

The newspaper strip should probably be put out of its misery. Tired.

Jack

no bus of any length

mm0111.jpg

mm0112.jpg

mm0113.jpg

What kind of world do we live in that these smokin' Blondies would be relegated to the short bus? These can ride on my long bus any day.

If I had a long bus. They can ride in my truck.

You know I love them! I bought them from you silly! But, when I post them in the other threads they get dissed. So putting them in here they look good! grin.gif

How about this one? tongue.gif

Foodini1front.jpg

Where's Pinhead?? confused-smiley-013.gif

Semi-seriously, that's him on the right, isn't it?

This series and "Pinhead and Foodini" always strike me as one of the most oddball comics ever. From the get-go, the idea of a comic book about puppets makes so little sense. It's like watching a magic show on TV -- it's TV, man, they decide what you see! And this comes from someone who owns and has indexed some Howdy Doody comics and would like to get the Beany and Cecil books (although those were clearly based on the cartoon, not the puppets). Somehow the name Foodini and the ultra-low-tech photos on the cover just scream "oddball" at me. Do copies of the old TV series still exist, or have they been lost over time? I've never seen one.

Foodini can have the whole back seat on the Short Bus, as far as I'm concerned. Good choice.

Jack