• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

Yeah, I know it's not Golden Age, but the Short Bus seems to accomodate all Ages.

Adventures into the Unknown 153 with a goofy Schaffenberger cover, already posted in the Silver 12¢ thread. ACG don't get no respect, so I brought it here too.

Jack

47109-AdvUnk153.jpg

Let's keep the short bus chugging along!

The Three Mouseketeers 14, Feb 1958. I wish my scanner (and meager Photoshop Elements) could convey the astonishing PINKNESS of this cover better -- the more I try to enhance, the worse the water stain at the bottom looks.

It's a well executed funny animal book, all Rube Grossman I think. The mice are Fatsy with the sailor suit, Patsy with the cookie, and Minus on the bubble. Minus reminds me of the first TV version of Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Jack

47112-3Mousek.jpg

This cover is KING! I love the cookie jar! Thanks for finding another "Kids Food" cover for me!!! Wa-hoo! And its that late 50's DC obnoxious pink too! :cloud9:

The Three Mouseketeers 14, Feb 1958. I wish my scanner (and meager Photoshop Elements) could convey the astonishing PINKNESS of this cover better -- the more I try to enhance, the worse the water stain at the bottom looks.

It's a well executed funny animal book, all Rube Grossman I think. The mice are Fatsy with the sailor suit, Patsy with the cookie, and Minus on the bubble. Minus reminds me of the first TV version of Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Jack

47112-3Mousek.jpg

This cover is KING! I love the cookie jar! Thanks for finding another "Kids Food" cover for me!!! Wa-hoo! And its that late 50's DC obnoxious pink too! :cloud9:

Glad you like it.

Looking at the cover again, did they really have to label the bubble pipe? Was the editor really afraid that the kiddies would think Fatsy was tokin' up?

Jack

(maybe the cover could be interpreted more than one way -- i.e., Patsy's eyelids and the major munchies)

Edited by selegue

Jack

47112-3Mousek.jpg

I had heard that 3 Mouseketeers was Mayer art but I'm not experienced enough to offer any opinion on it myself. As far as the pink goes, DC used some exceptional inks in the second half of the 50s so I'm not surprised at you remarking on the intensity.

I'm trying to decide if it's more strange that it's a comic or that it is a syndicated strip.

I want to be like Jack so I buy odd books now. Here's a Little Miss Muffett with a dancing dog in a tutu dancing to a tune played by an off duty Uncle Sam. Weird enough for this crowd? -

I'm pretty sure she was a character in some fox books once she grew up.

I want to be like Jack

Kirby?

so I buy odd books now. Here's a Little Miss Muffett with a dancing dog in a tutu dancing to a tune played by an off duty Uncle Sam. Weird enough for this crowd? -

Wow. The dancing dog in a tutu really is out there!

Fanny Y. Cory?

Always interesting to read about an illustrator/cartoonist that I've never heard of.

Since nice art samples at the link (above).

"When Fanny Young Cory illustrated L. Frank Baum's The Master Key in 1901, she was beginning a successful career as a book, magazine, and newspaper illustrator. Miss Cory said that she "got such a good start in the field of children's illustration . . . because I was the first woman to try it. I wasn't as good an artist as some others, but I had more sense of humor." She was much too modest, for she was one of the finest illustrators of the early twentieth century."

"By the middle 1920's, her children were old enough for college, but because of a depression in the ranching business the Cooneys could not afford the cost of education. She therefore decided to begin a second career as a newspaper cartoonist. She contracted with the Philadelphia Ledger syndicate in 1926 to draw the daily Sonnysayings cartoons. This series concerned the misadventures of a little boy and his comments--or excuses. Her drawings are much like her. earlier St. Nicholas pictures, but with a tendency toward sketchier shading. Sonny was very popular, and in 1929 Fanny Cory wrote a book about him. On June 22, 1935, King Features began distributing the series. Later that year, the syndicate hired her to draw illustrations for Little Miss Muffet, a strip which successfully capitalized on the popularity of Harold Gray's Little Orphan Annie. Miss Cory was a much better artist than Gray, but she never enjoyed the Muffet series. Except during its last few months, she did not write the stories, and three years after she began the strip she complained to an interviewer, "there are no gangsters, or divorces or anything like that in her adventures, so she must be a relief to mothers. But sometimes I think she's too pure." Despite Miss Cory's feelings, Little Miss Muffet was popular enough to have a book of her own.

In 1956, when she was nearing the age of 80 and afflicted with arthritis and failing eyesight, she decided to retire. On June 30, the final episodes of Little Miss Muffet and Sonnysayings appeared."

Thanks for posting the cover.

Jack

It's a derogatory term, being used for "Odd ball" books in this case.

Books that don't fit into any major collecting genres.

Thanks Sir Jayman (thumbs u

BTW, I love your Sig line with the comic panel and your new