• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

Now wait a minute. I thought Action was a very popular title. Isn't Action 1 a really expensive book?

???

Popular titles often consist of unpopular issues as well as popular ones. (thumbs u

If there's any Barks artwork in them (only in New Funnies??), I suppose they're disqualified.

Ohhhh, so it's New Funnies that are considered trash in these here parts! Well then you've come to the right place anyway. Here are scans of my three earliest ones:

New Funnies 122

NewFunnies122.jpg

New Funnies 215

NewFunnies215.jpg

New Funnies 237

NewFunnies237.jpg

;)

Edited by Hepcat

NewFunnies237.jpg

;)

Clearly short-bus in my book. The model sheet for these characters changed so much for the poorer overtime that I can't stand to look at Woody or Andy on those covers. Oswald changed a little less but compared any of these from their early Four Color appearances and you know how much we've lost.

Same happened with Tom (of Tom & Jerry) and it pains me to watch or read later outings of the duo.

Clearly short-bus in my book. The model sheet for these characters changed so much for the poorer overtime that I can't stand to look at Woody or Andy on those covers. Oswald changed a little less but compared any of these from their early Four Color appearances and you know how much we've lost.

How about Chilly Willy then? Did his appearance undergo a metamorphosis for the worse as well?

???

If there's any Barks artwork in them (only in New Funnies??), I suppose they're disqualified.

Ohhhh, so it's New Funnies that are considered trash in these here parts! Well then you've come to the right place anyway. Here are scans of my three earliest ones:

NewFunnies122.jpg

NewFunnies215.jpg

NewFunnies237.jpg

;)

I enjoy the series up until the mid-late 1940s -- Li'l Eight-Ball because it's so outrageous to modern eyes, Kelly artwork, the more raucous Woody Woodpecker, Raggedy Ann, Frank Thomas' Billy and Bonny Bee.

They really sputtered out later. It seemed like all the characters moved to some dull suburb that exists only in TV sitcoms.

Jack

It seemed like all the characters moved to some dull suburb that exists only in TV sitcoms.

You're wrong. Just about every suburb I've ever had the misfortune of driving through has been really boring.

:preach:

It seemed like all the characters moved to some dull suburb that exists only in TV sitcoms.

You're wrong. Just about every suburb I've ever had the misfortune of driving through has been really boring.

This is the suburb where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, all the children are above average, all of the residents are middle-class, apparently Caucasian bipedal animals, and the worst crime is when some toughs shake down Beaver for his lunch moneyy.

Jack

This is the suburb where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, all the children are above average, all of the residents are middle-class, apparently Caucasian bipedal animals, and the worst crime is when some toughs shake down Beaver for his lunch moneyy.

Jack

I see you are a fan of the Prarie Home Companion. Even though it is sponsored by Bisquick, it may be canceled with all of the other NPR shows. Sad...

bb

Two questions:

1. Why are some of the skin tones on the girls yellow?

2. Do you write your name on the covers of all the books you really like?

???

1. Might be a scanner issue. I'll have to check

2. Yes. My name is Lamont Larson, and I enjoy seeing it in print, even on my comics

Two questions:

???

2. Yes. My name is Lamont Larson, and I enjoy seeing it in print, even on my comics

Hey, Lamont! I have one of those too, obviously a nicer copy because it doesn't have anybody's name written on the cover. Let me know if you want to trade.

The book includes Triple Terror, Mirror Man, all kinds of fun features -- almost enough to keep it off the short bus.

Jack

NewFunnies237.jpg

;)

Same happened with Tom (of Tom & Jerry) and it pains me to watch or read later outings of the duo.

I really like those early New Funnies issues. I hope the price stays low so I can get a whole run of those lil Eight Ball issues. Tom and Jerry was like 3D vs 2D when you compare those early issues with work done in the later fifties. Barney Bear repints are still hard to find aren't they. I have to keep buying Our Gang comics until I have read them all.

Two questions:

???

Hey, Lamont! I have one of those too, obviously a nicer copy because it doesn't have anybody's name written on the cover. Let me know if you want to trade.

The book includes Triple Terror, Mirror Man, all kinds of fun features -- almost enough to keep it off the short bus.

Jack

Thanks Jack! That is very sweet of you to make such a magnanimous gester. But, I'm afraid I'll have to decline. Hard to part with a book with my name on it.

LL

I really like those early New Funnies issues. I hope the price stays low so I can get a whole run of those lil Eight Ball issues. Tom and Jerry was like 3D vs 2D when you compare those early issues with work done in the later fifties. Barney Bear repints are still hard to find aren't they. I have to keep buying Our Gang comics until I have read them all.

:gossip: The good news for you is that, even if you have the crappy B&W reprints of the Barks Barney Bear, a new IN COLOR reprint was solicited in this month's previews (thumbs u

MAR110489.jpg

List price is $34.99, expected ship date: May 25th.

Is it odd to anyone else that they have a Smith cover to a Barks book? ???

:gossip: The good news for you is that, even if you have the crappy B&W reprints of the Barks Barney Bear, a new IN COLOR reprint was solicited in this month's previews (thumbs u

MAR110489.jpg

List price is $34.99, expected ship date: May 25th.

Is it odd to anyone else that they have a Smith cover to a Barks book? ???

The smith cover doesn't bother me, it would be hard to cobble a decent cover out of. Arks interiors.

Two questions:

???

2. Yes. My name is Lamont Larson, and I enjoy seeing it in print, even on my comics [/quo

Jack

Thanks Jack! That is very sweet of you to make such a magnanimous gester. But, I'm afraid I'll have to decline. Hard to part with a book with my name on it.

LL

Hey LL hows that philly weather treating you? :eek:

Edited by shiverbones