• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

Gene was always my favorite of the singing cowboys.

OK, Bill, try to find something nice to say about THIS one!

Cover was just posted on the cigar thread.

Young Romance V11#6. Prize, Nov 1958.

50089-YoungRom.jpg

Jack

The dancing girl looks like a young Shirley Jones.

shirleyjones.jpg

50089-YoungRom.jpg

Jack

shirleyjones.jpg

Well done -- and I agree. Do you also think that it looks like a Colletta cover?

Jack

50089-YoungRom.jpg

Jack

shirleyjones.jpg

Well done -- and I agree. Do you also think that it looks like a Colletta cover?

Jack

Yes, as a matter of fact I do.

50089-YoungRom.jpg

... Do you also think that it looks like a Colletta cover?

Yes, as a matter of fact I do.

A very good art spotter at GCD is almost certain that it's Joe Simon. Even knowing that Simon and Kirby produced the Prize Romances, I wouldn't have IDed this one as Simon. Once again, I don't know what cues to look for. The faces remind me more of Colletta's romance covers.

Jack

retaining the title of World's Worst Art Spotter for 2008

I posted the cover in General, but I doubt there'll be much interest there. I'll repeat some comments here and add a page.

Blackhawk 71 from the Quality era, December 1953.

50646-Blackhawk71.jpg

Interesting issue -- the cover shows how Quality was floundering around with what to do with a leftover war feature, but the Blackhawk gang is keeping up with the trends by facing a Flying Saucer Assault. The issue opens with an origin recap -- I don't know whether it follows the original origin or adds new twists.

Second is a politically incorrect Chop Chop story.

50647-Blackhawk71chop.jpg

It's interesting that Chop Chop is handled with a little more respect in the "serious" stories. Although he still has to ride as Blackhawk's copilot, he's not a total idjit, and he fights the giant villains as effectively as the other guys. Here he's played strictly for laughs, with the exaggerated accent, coolie outfit, buck teeth and all.

Third is the flying saucer story, which opens with "a new atom bomb test on a principle discovered by Blackhawk himself!" The 'Hawks encounter a hidden, scientifically advanced race. Gotta love that cold war era.

The last story is about The Red Tiger with a strong anti-Commie theme, including a Russian gang dressed in tiger suits, riding inside a giant red-tiger battle machine. Interesting that the action takes place on the Iran-Afghanistan border. Plus ça change...

Jack

The last story is about The Red Tiger with a strong anti-Commie theme, including a Russian gang dressed in tiger suits, riding inside a giant red-tiger battle machine.

Love to see a scan of that. :wishluck:

Interesting that the action takes place on the Iran-Afghanistan border. Plus ça change...

Been going on for centuries.

link

The last story is about The Red Tiger with a strong anti-Commie theme, including a Russian gang dressed in tiger suits, riding inside a giant red-tiger battle machine.

Interesting that the action takes place on the Iran-Afghanistan border. Plus ça change...

link

Thanks for the followup.

This really is quite the Cold War comic book. Those wily Rooskies!

50648-Blackhawk71tiger.jpg

I sure hope I didn't lower the condition from good- to good- - with all the scanning. :D

Jack

link

Thanks for the followup.

This really is quite the Cold War comic book. Those wily Rooskies!

50648-Blackhawk71tiger.jpg

I sure hope I didn't lower the condition from good- to good- - with all the scanning. :D

Jack

What a cool interior shot. Red Hellion :applause:

Thanks, Jack. Those tiger outfits are tres chic! lol

L.B. Cole cover on this one!!!!

friskyanimals46.jpg

:cloud9:

I had a low grade of that & have been looking for a nice one for some time. I love the Cole Funny Animal books.

cool...never seen that one before

Although these technically qualify for the Short Bus, I love them. They are nice grade, great covers, and the interiors are reflective of the times. Very cool to me. Paratrooper should check some of these out as they have stories that would be of interest to him.

taps3.jpg

taps7.jpg

Although these technically qualify for the Short Bus, I love them. They are nice grade, great covers, and the interiors are reflective of the times. Very cool to me. Paratrooper should check some of these out as they have stories that would be of interest to him.

Fun looking aviation books!

This one should be boarding the Short Bus soon, if being a Norman Saunders cover not pictured in Gerber doesn't overqualify it. (The closing price says "Short Bus".)

Jack

50798-f162_1.JPG