• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE: Your worst raw purchase

84 posts in this topic

at what dollar amount do you guy's take a book out and look at the back cover?

I'll take a $4.00 book out of the bag. The only time exception I would make is if I'm buying a handful from the same collection, in which case opening half to 2/3 of them would do.

i watched a guy at Heroes Con last year spend fifteen - literally fifteen, not some wild-ars'd guess, mind you - minutes poring over a VF+ copy of some FF issue around ish 220 or so that was in a dollar box. i swear, CGC's restoration check likely takes less time than this knucklehead took to examine every last micrometer of a dollar book.

best part was that he didn't even buy the 893censored-thumb.gif thing. i was >< this close to yanking it out of his hands and shredding it just to get him to shove off to the next table and out of my immediate vicinity

27_laughing.gif

i watched a guy at Heroes Con last year spend fifteen - literally fifteen, not some wild-ars'd guess, mind you - minutes poring over a VF+ copy of some FF issue around ish 220 or so that was in a dollar box. i swear, CGC's restoration check likely takes less time than this knucklehead took to examine every last micrometer of a dollar book.

best part was that he didn't even buy the 893censored-thumb.gif thing. i was >< this close to yanking it out of his hands and shredding it just to get him to shove off to the next table and out of my immediate vicinity

Sounds like he was reading it! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

West

Hey kiddies, this ain't a library! sumo.gif

27_laughing.gif

i'm pretty sure i can tell the difference between someone reading a dollar book and a freaknut examining same for microscopic-sized defects on the staples, bottom edges and etc.

i wasn't the seller of the book, either. just an uninterested observer of human nature. th funny thing about the whole situation was that the book was obviously a VF+ at best, so lord only knows what he was looking for

you should have just thrown down a dollar on the table and walked away

Bought two lots from a board member recently where he listed the lots as being NM and most of the books including the better ones varied from F - NM. He is on my list of people never to buy from again.

You would hope this kind of thing wouldn't happen on these boards, but unfortunately it does. There are a couple people here I won't buy from as well due to some problems with comic purchases. I just think if a customer/buyer/fellow board member is unhappy, you as a seller/fellow board member should offer some type of compensation to make up for the problem whatever it is, but this isn't always the case, even on these boards. A couple times all I have received back in a PM after expressing disappointment with a transaction was "sorry". It really hurts the community feel of these boards when things like that happen in my opinion. That's part of the reason I started my "why are these boards starting to feel like Ebay" thread a while back.

In answer to the original post, my worst comic book purchase was a group of Werewolf by Night books #'s 16-30 listed as VF that were no better than VG - VG/F and all of them had the MVS cut out of them. I think I only spent $65-70 total on the group, but that was a very disappointing Ebay purchase. They were shipped loose in an oversized plastic baggy and thrown into a used cardboard box. That's about the same time I stopped buying on Ebay and joined these boards.

My worst raw purchase this year, was an Action Comics #99 that I purchased from ebay. It was advertised as a VF+ and It came back a 5.0 frown.gifI don't remember the ebayer's Id, but I do remember paying him over $300 and handing out my first NEG. headbang.gif

Did he Neg you back?
He had already left Positive feedback. I felt, that I was entitled to some kind of refund, and he didn't want any part of it so I left a neg. It wasn't something I enjoyed, but I felt it had to be done.

It would have to be this eBay purchase

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...t=1#Post1325352

Worse still the guy was a complete *spoon* and when i showed him the opinions of all the board members he said i set it up and all my friends (here on the boards) lied! In the end he only agreed to a refund minus shipping both ways. I was out $41 in the end (had to send it with insurance incase he lied about not getting it).

I'll admit though it was a great lesson to learn, albeit the hard way.

My worst experience was with an ebay seller named supercoon34. She had a Hulk #181 listed as NM and had larger scans of both covers to support the claim. I went over the scans for a week before I bid. Would up spending just over $1,000.00 for a raw copy but I figured it might get a 9.2 or 9.4 from the looks of it. I even paid extra to have the book sent in a box priority mail.

I get it and it is all banged up with numerous spine creases and scratches to the FC. I compared it to the scan and it looked like the same book but was now in the 7.0-8.0 range. She claimed it was damaged in the mail. Book was dog eared and that does not happen in a bag in a mylar in a box.

To make a long story short the only way I got my money back was through AMEX since I used that card to pay for the book. Still took a few months but I got it back. I filed whatever complaints ebay and paypal would let me file and she was shortly removed from ebay after that.

The second worst as $$$ go was the King-Size Hulk #1 I purchased at mega con last year. Looked like a solid 9.2 at a minimum. Came back 8.5 due to a faint stain on the BC. I paid a premium for it and having the book in my hand was sure of the grade. Time to hit the books again.

I don’t understand either of these 2 posts. Are you saying you had to send it in to cgc to see that the grade wasn’t what you wanted?

The second worst as $$$ go was the King-Size Hulk #1 I purchased at mega con last year. Looked like a solid 9.2 at a minimum. Came back 8.5 due to a faint stain on the BC. I paid a premium for it and having the book in my hand was sure of the grade. Time to hit the books again.

My worst raw purchase this year, was an Action Comics #99 that I purchased from ebay. It was advertised as a VF+ and It came back a 5.0 I don't remember the ebayer's Id, but I do remember paying him over $300 and handing out my first NEG.

Spent $1800 on an ASM#6 that was described as NM+ (this was back in 2003). The book that arrived was maybe a 7.0 with severe tanning, dark pages, and quite a bit of spine stress. Sellers were Kim Reganato and Johnny Hertrich (now using the name "comic*seller" on ebay). Formerly known as gio72 and comicseller24.

I got my money back, but had to resort to threats, fire, and brimstone. sumo.gif

Spent $1800 on an ASM#6 that was described as NM+ (this was back in 2003). The book that arrived was maybe a 7.0 with severe tanning, dark pages, and quite a bit of spine stress. Sellers were Kim Reganato and Johnny Hertrich (now using the name "comic*seller" on ebay). Formerly known as gio72 and comicseller24.

I got my money back, but had to resort to threats, fire, and brimstone. sumo.gif

hail.gif

I don’t understand either of these 2 posts. Are you saying you had to send it in to cgc to see that the grade wasn’t what you wanted?

Pretty much. The Hulk #1 I inspected by hand and still it came back 3-4 grades lower than I thought. Seller was selling it as NM and I figured it was NM- . One little stain on the BC killed a flawless looking book.

My worst raw purchase this year, was an Action Comics #99 that I purchased from ebay. It was advertised as a VF+ and It came back a 5.0 I don't remember the ebayer's Id, but I do remember paying him over $300 and handing out my first NEG.

Ok, here is a reverse angle on this thread.

I once had a large collection fo Golden Age, including a complete run of Captain Marvel (the big red cheese).

I had 2400 books to grade and price and get ready for the Motor City Con where they were going to be unveiled. So, some things slipped by me since I only had a few days to get them ready.

I am at the Con and a customer, a guy I know, asks to see the #3. I had it graded a FN+ (6.5). he took it out of the Mylar and examined it. Made an offer and I took the book back, looked at it, agreed to his price and all seemed well. As I was putting the book back into the mylar something looked funny about the lower left corner of the front cover. It looked like the corner got snagged on the way in and peeled the color back, but the color was brighter underneath. I examined it more closely then realized as I seperated the two pieces, that it was a double cover! The inside cover was immaculate! I felt my stomach get nauseated. Couldn't back out on the deal, so I just congratulated him. Still wish I had that book back.

I bought a Marvel Spotlight #5 from a local comic book store in the SFV (Comics and Fun). They graded it as a VF and paid them that price, sent it to CGC and it came back as a 6.0. I'm glad it wasn't trimmed or restored.

Bought several spideys from them including a #5 that was sold as VF+. Came back a 6.5 tonofbricks.gif The other books were also 1.5 to 2 grades off frown.gif