• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you remember Paris?

7 posts in this topic

I turn to the collective knowledge of the board to answer some questions I’ve got about comic artists, comic art, and KK. My apologies for the random nature of the questions but I'd love some answers and I didn't want to do a half-dozen posts.

Does anybody here remember Paris Cullins? He wasn’t a great artist – he won't be found in anybody’s top tier of great comic book artists – but he was solid and I remember him and his work fondly. Some of the dealers still offer OA Cullins’ covers and interior artwork. Around 1992 or so, he just…disappeared. Did he quit comics? Move to Paris?

What’s the deal with Keith Giffen? The man was a DC comics’ god in the 1980s. Besides doing the traditional superhero stuff, this was the man behind Ambush Bug, Lobo and Trencher (although, I realize, the fan interest in Trencher seems to consist of…well, me and one other guy. And the other guy just left town). Now he’s reduced to being a breakdown artist on 52? What gives?

And in what evil alternate universe is the great Al Williamson inking Ron Frenz’ pencils? Are Williamson-penciled pages a thing of the past? Is it an age thing?

Whatever happened to Sam Kieth? I loved his initial run on THE MAXX (the later storylines, not so much) but I’ve never seen MAXX OA offered for sale. His other comic book work never held the same appeal for me but, when I come across it, it’s always going for big $$$. He no longer seems to be a force in the comics’ field…or am I wrong?

For that matter, has Joe Madureira ever offered any of his BATTLE CHASERS OA for sale?

Finally, on KK/rushmore/T-bone: I enjoy KK’s spark on the boards. Still, I wonder: Does he have any love for OA itself or is it, in his mind, only a vehicle for profit? Should we direct him toward T-bills?

Thanks.

I think there may be some info on you battle chasers question. There appear to be a few pages on comic art fans in some of the galleries. (May want to make sure they are the real deal) You can contact the owners and possibly get some insight into how they aquired them.

Sorry I couldn't help on the bigger questions.

I turn to the collective knowledge of the board to answer some questions I’ve got about comic artists, comic art, and KK. My apologies for the random nature of the questions but I'd love some answers and I didn't want to do a half-dozen posts.

Whatever happened to Sam Kieth? I loved his initial run on THE MAXX (the later storylines, not so much) but I’ve never seen MAXX OA offered for sale. His other comic book work never held the same appeal for me but, when I come across it, it’s always going for big $$$. He no longer seems to be a force in the comics’ field…or am I wrong?

Thanks.

Sam K still does do some comics work but he's mainly doing film direction now. There was already an Art of Sam Kieth book that has been written but is currently in limbo.

Maxx was personal to him so I think he said he was hanging onto the originals.

Joseph

sure. i remember paris. he.s a great guy. i have in my collection his very 1st peice of pro artwork, the year 1981 from ghost # 110 page # 23 dc comics page # 1 from a story called the double. paris did pencils and mike de carlo.s did inks its also the pro debut for mike de carlo as well. so it a pretty cool page to have.

i did at one time i owned the covers to blue devil # 1 & 2 but sold them years ago. i just have the one page from ghost. now it funny the last time i saw him about five years ago i showed him the page and he begged me to put the page back into my portfolio and not show anyone. i guess most artist really hate to see there 1st or early works.

all in all he,s was a very nice person to talk to.

larry ;]