• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avon/Realistic comics

11 posts in this topic

l was wondering if anyone could tell me what the relationship between Avon and Realistic Comics was is Realistic an imprint of Avon, or is it a seperate company that just took over some of Avon's titles.

I always understood Realistic to be an imprint of Avon. It may very well be if you notice that the most "risqué" books produced by Avon were under the Realistic banner. By "risqué", I mean books that were coming under scrutiny by the general public and Avon avoided its image to be directly affected by publishing such books.

Do Avons in general have low production qualities? The 1950s western that I have seems to be printed quite cheaply: 1/2 the interior panels are b/w instead of colored. Was this standard for Avon?

Not in my experience. All the Avon books I have are in full color. Still, I don't have many Avon westerns ...

Do Avons in general have low production qualities? The 1950s western that I have seems to be printed quite cheaply: 1/2 the interior panels are b/w instead of colored. Was this standard for Avon?

Which book is that? I don't recall any Avons having mixed interiors.

l was wondering if anyone could tell me what the relationship between Avon and Realistic Comics was is Realistic an imprint of Avon, or is it a seperate

Avon = Dell

Realistic = Four Color

I must be missing something.

Dell = publisher = Avon. Got that.

Four Color = title = Realistic Don't got that. It's not a title.

l was wondering if anyone could tell me what the relationship between Avon and Realistic Comics was is Realistic an imprint of Avon, or is it a seperate

Avon = Dell

Realistic = Four Color

I must be missing something.

Dell = publisher = Avon. Got that.

Four Color = title = Realistic Don't got that. It's not a title.

you are almost right...Four color is not a title....neither is Realistic.

In this example, both Four Color and Relaistic look almost like the Publisher, when in fact they are backed by Dell and Avon.( the REAL Publishers )

Dell Four Color 74 little Lulu

Avon Realistic NN Reform School Girl!

Does this help ???

1/2 the interior panels are b/w instead of colored on the same page. Was this standard for Avon?

Which book is that? I don't recall any Avons having mixed interiors.

Wild Bill Hickock #26 10c cover 1950s; printed in USA. Everett R Kinstler cover & reprinted interiors.