• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Golden Age (1933-38) - The Birth of the Modern Comic Book

233 posts in this topic

Sadly, yes..... blush.gif

That's alright, I'm just givin' you a hard time. There's a copy out there some where with my name on it

Let's hope no one erased it. insane.gif

Sadly, yes..... blush.gif

That's alright, I'm just givin' you a hard time. There's a copy out there some where with my name on it - I'll find it sooner or later. Congrats on the pickup! thumbsup2.gif

I know bro. I'm just a lunatic for that book! If I can get a FN or better you can have your pick of the other two.

ComicRackPic1940s.jpg

This is the first time I've seen Supersnipe on a rack from the 40's.... yay.gif

Please note I am not crazy...Superman is on the other end

Top corner billing with Superman.. cloud9.gif............where's the love now. confused-smiley-013.gif

Great books! 893applaud-thumb.gif Some day I'd like to put together a low grade run of FF, just so I can read all the Buck Rogers stories.

Here's a question - could that FF #27 be the first photo cover on a comic?

You know, that is the main reason I am putting them together (reading the Buck Rogers stories). But, I've always had a fondness for them, as I consider them to be the linear first comic book series of note).

Not sure about the Photo Cover, but I will scan the PJ's.

Win or berk might know. It is from October 1936. Funny thing is when you look at the picture of it in the Photo Journals, it doesn't look like a photo, or black and white. But it is a small picture. I was very pleased with how cool it was when it arrived.

Edited by ciorac

A couple of fun arrivals today from this era..

mm0060-1.jpg

Always felt the famous funnies 27 was undervalued. Not just a photo cover, and not just rare, but the real first true crime in comics (crime does not pay came seven years later). Also hugely hard to find.

]

A couple of fun arrivals today from this era..

Always felt the famous funnies 27 was undervalued. Not just a photo cover, and not just rare, but the real first true crime in comics (crime does not pay came seven years later). Also hugely hard to find.

Best $60.00 I spent all year. I am awaiting the arrival of a 14 book Famous Funnies lot from Payette. I'm focusing on 1 - 50 right now, so they will help me get close to closing that out!

Wow, Famous Funnies 1-50, that's a hell of a goal. I thought my King Comics 1-12 was tough.

Here's Feature Funnies #1, not super tough but quite early:

featurefunniesvol.jpg

Very cool book Win!

I am only half way home on the Famous Funnies though, so I have a long way to go. But the "getting there" is the fun part. I love the quest. grin.gif

And since it's Christmas today and all, here's the very scarce third issue:

featurefunnies3.jpg

What's the first Christmas cover of all time? Is it Famous Funnies #5 or something like that?

How tough is it to obtain this book and is there much of a demand for it as interest in these early newspaper reprint books seem to have really dropped right off the planet?

BTW: Merry Christmas to everybody on the boards here and many more purchases throughout the new year! 893applaud-thumb.gif

How tough is it to obtain this book and is there much of a demand for it as interest in these early newspaper reprint books seem to have really dropped right off the planet?

Very tough to obtain, but it's not a bit expensive (unless you happen to get in the unlucky bidding war), as demand is quite low. But this isn't really a newspaper reprint book; there are a number of original stories inside, including some very early Clock (moved over from Centaur's Detective Picture Stories). Jon can certainly speak to this more informatively.

Issue #27 is the holy grail of the series. First Doll Man, and one of the toughest Golden Age mini-keys to find anywhere. Usually sells for 5x-10x guide if one becomes available.

feature27.jpg