• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Golden Age (1933-38) - The Birth of the Modern Comic Book

233 posts in this topic

Nice.

gossip.giflinky

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ahh... One of my ultimate grails. cloud9.gif

That's one that will be out of my reach for a while I'm afraid. There's another one on eBay as well - if I remember correctly it's a CGC 3.0 for around $1100 or so.

Yep, I saw that one. I keep holding out for a copy around $500 - $750 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

As many of you know who have read my posts, I don't restore books, buy restored books, or sell restored books ( not that there's anything wrong with that )..........but I sure do conserve them!

One of the highlights of my pre-golden age collection is the set of all 3 Humor books from 1933. Of the 3 books the rarest by far is Bob Scully the Two fisted Hick Detective.....only 3 known copies exist, including this one. My copy was literally being eaten alive by a large amount of very non-archival tape covering the entire spine for who knows how many decades...........I had 2 choices - conservation or pile of dust! I chose wisely I think, and in the proccess, had cleaning, crayon removal ( Scully's hat and tie - drove me crazy! ) from the front of the cover, spine reinforcement and deacidification. Here are some before and after pics..........I have always been a HUGE conservation fan for situations like this, and an important piece of comic book history is now safe from the ravishes of tape and time ( for now, at least )

before...............

1627371-humor-set003%282%29.jpg

and after...............

1627371-scully.jpg

1627371-scully.jpg.de338c8b9e811f04b63f61d3c04c4c01.jpg

Steve,

That is restoration, not *just* conservation, that you're describing. foreheadslap.gif

As many of you know who have read my posts, I don't restore books, buy restored books, or sell restored books ( not that there's anything wrong with that )..........but I sure do conserve them!

One of the highlights of my pre-golden age collection is the set of all 3 Humor books from 1933. Of the 3 books the rarest by far is Bob Scully the Two fisted Hick Detective.....only 3 known copies exist, including this one. My copy was literally being eaten alive by a large amount of very non-archival tape covering the entire spine for who knows how many decades...........I had 2 choices - conservation or pile of dust! I chose wisely I think, and in the proccess, had cleaning, crayon removal ( Scully's hat and tie - drove me crazy! ) from the front of the cover, spine reinforcement and deacidification. Here are some before and after pics..........I have always been a HUGE conservation fan for situations like this, and an important piece of comic book history is now safe from the ravishes of tape and time ( for now, at least )

before...............

and after...............

1627371-scully.jpg

.... an important piece of comic book history is now safe from the ravishes of tape and time ( for now, at least )

Gotta lay off those ravishes. They make me belch laugh.gif

But nice resto job. I've removed tape from covers and inside spines (I have access to a wide range of solvents and a reasonably steady hand) but never on anything worth more than a few bucks. It look like the adhesive stains weren't too bad in this case.

Wonderful, historic book to own!

Jack

before...............

and after...............

1627371-scully.jpg

before...............

and after...............

1627371-scully.jpg

Steve, the Bob Scully looks great! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Resto or Conservo - whatever label you want to use, I think it was very wise on your part to have the tape removed, spine reinforced and pages deacidified. An historic book like this needs preserved for future generations. thumbsup2.gif

I don't know about the crayon removal though... I kind of liked it with the color. smirk.gif

Looks like you caught the wave and are riding it for all it's worth! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Was the Roy Powers story actually gripping? popcorn.gif

Looks like you caught the wave and are riding it for all it's worth! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Was the Roy Powers story actually gripping? popcorn.gif

It was entertaining, and made for an incredible centerfold!

It sounded interesting -- I'm always on lookout for good stories! thumbsup2.gif

Just won this a few minutes ago. headbang.gif

I've had my eye on this particular copy since last summer. I always dug this cover, with Tarzan choking out the ape - it's actually a blown up Foster Sunday panel.

7960TipTop009SimonPowell.jpg

Way to go bro!! I love the Tarzan Tip Tops! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Way to go bro!! I love the Tarzan Tip Tops! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks! Me too - it's a run that I'd like to put together, but I'm not really in a rush to do it. But when a nice-looking copy of one of the scarcer early ones like this pops up I have to jump on it.

And on a side note, even though I already posted it in the cigar thread the PV FB really belongs here:

8476FeatureBook26CLINK.jpg