• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now we're talking OVERGRADED!

19 posts in this topic

Without actually having the book up close I'd have to say that it's an obvious pedigree/good old boy network bump. Quick question to you experts: If you have a book that looks nm with top and bottom bindery chips and a book that looks exactly the same without the bindery chips, will they grade the same?

According to CGC bindary chips aren't a negative defect confused-smiley-013.gif If you take those chips away it's alot closer to that 8.5 grade.

I knew to discount the bindary chips but wouldn't the crease at middle right edge take that one down from a 8.5?

Quick question to you experts: If you have a book that looks nm with top and bottom bindery chips and a book that looks exactly the same without the bindery chips, will they grade the same?

they shouldn't...the book without bindery chips should grade NM as it would be "defect free". The book with bindery chips, if that was it's only flaw, would typically grade in the VF or VF+ range, as in this case.

A bindery chip is definately a defect .....if there's a name for it, it's a defect

According to CGC bindary chips aren't a negative defect confused-smiley-013.gif If you take those chips away it's alot closer to that 8.5 grade.

The Overstreet grading guide says that a GA book can have a limited accumulation of minor (i.e., up to 1/4 inch) bindery defects present in VF+ 8.5. That's what these are. confused-smiley-013.gif

The Overstreet grading guide says that a GA book can have a limited accumulation of minor (i.e., up to 1/4 inch) bindery defects present in VF+ 8.5. That's what these are. confused-smiley-013.gif

How about this Zip 20 8.5 I bought a while back from Heritage?

1493304-zip20.jpg

1493304-zip20.jpg.91863956d3d06fdec3b307a35254aa25.jpg

I think CGC really focuses on the overall structure of the book. Bindery chips sun shadow, poor color registration, etc. don't play that big of a roll. It seems a lot of collectors agree with their stance, for myself, I hate bindery chips. I hate missing pieces, I hate bad registration. Because of what I don't like, I end up disagreeing on a lot of CGC graded books, but I have been able to pick up a lot of nice clean 6.0 to 8.0 that may just have a few light creases.

Yeah, I'd call that a bindery chip, and OS allows a bindery defect that size all the way up to NM 9.4 (second and third edition of the grading guide are consistent on this issue).

How about this Zip 20 8.5 I bought a while back from Heritage?

1493304-zip20.jpg

ie: The Crippen book:

The bindery chips aside... look at the super-size scan and notice the flaws on the right edge especially in the area around Ghost Woman...also, there are nicks along the spine edge that break color....and that top left "bindery chip" looks like it may have been hanging and was later ripped off...

I still hold that this book is way overgraded.... foreheadslap.gif

The bindery chips aside... look at the super-size scan and notice the flaws on the right edge especially in the area around Ghost Woman...also, there are nicks along the spine edge that break color....and that top left "bindery chip" looks like it may have been hanging and was later ripped off...

I agree thumbsup2.gif

I took a closer look at the big scan, and the right edge crescent crease and tear, along with the bindery chips, are more than I'd allow in a VF+. The rest of the book is still very tight. I'd probably go with an 8.0 on this one, personally. I don't see anything that would make me say 7.5 or lower though, since GA bindery tears and chips are downgraded less harshly per OS standards.

On the Crippen book, the bindery defect/chip, especially the one at the top, goes in quite a few pages. I don't think Overstreet meant that much damage when he side bindery chips on cover. That is way more damage than cover.