• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting article from a Toronto Newspaper

13 posts in this topic

Di makes a comeback

By MICHAEL POSNER

From Friday's Globe and Mail

Diana has risen from the dead and will embark on a comeback tour.

That's not the latest supermarket tabloid headline, but the plot of a new Marvel comic book that casts the late Princess of Wales as a superheroine.

Due out Sept. 10, Super Di will be featured in Di Another Day, an X-Statix story line. The monthly comic book is derived from the popular X-Men movie series.

In it, a mutant Diana's comeback is threatened by a "nasty crew of mutant Eurotrash dead set on sending her back where she came from."

The Royal Family is plainly not amused. "This is utterly appalling," one spokesman for Buckingham Palace said. "It appears to be a cheap attempt to cash in on Diana's fame and the tragic circumstances surrounding her death."

"If comics are anything, we're subversive," insists Marvel editor-in-chief Joe Quesada. "This is really a wonderful story. Princess Diana is a mutant. Like every good superhero, she's coming back from the dead. She's going to join one of the X-Men teams."

X-Statix is written by Briton Peter Milligan. In a spirited defence penned for The Guardian newspaper, Mr. Milligan explained that his "characters have crazy mutant powers, but these powers are really vehicles for exploring our celebrity and fame-obsessed society.

"My mutants all have agents, negotiate fees for image rights, open megastores and live the dream. People die in my comic. We even have a character called Dead Girl. So I thought it was time we had a real dead girl in the team, and, clearly, Diana was made for X-Statix: someone famous for being famous."

In the X-Men universe, Mr. Milligan noted, "the mutants are feared and hated. In X-Statix, they have turned this around and made themselves stars — glamorous, rich and powerful. That seems, to me, to be pretty much what Diana did inside the Royal Family."

He said that while Diana "may not resemble the flying, lethally oscillating characters that populate my comic, the strange power she exerts from beyond the grave certainly makes her a valid subject to explore. She looks great in spandex."

Stephanie Hunter, manager of the Silver Snail comic book shop in Toronto, said nothing with respect to the story lines of X-Statix would surprise her. "It's a very odd book, quite popular but very quirky. And the people who work on it are known for doing odd things."

Maggie Thompson, editor of the Wisconsin-based Comics Buyer's Guide, said the Diana story line is "obviously an attention-getting device, very typical of writers. Is it tasteless? Well, that will depend on what they do with it. But Diana was and is a public figure. It was a rare issue of People Magazine that didn't have her on the cover."

As for the Royal Family's contempt, Mr. Milligan said: "If any of them actually reads all five episodes of Di Another Day, they will see that Diana comes out of it a lot better than the British establishment."

X-Statix, on sale in North America and Britain, is expected to sell around 150,000 copies worldwide.

is it just my PC or do the graemlins don't move like they use to? confused.giffrown.gif

A test for you Supa....

if you see this Gremlin move you're ok and he's drunk, if you don't see him move then you're the lush....

smilie_KF.gifsmilie_KF.gifsmilie_KF.gif

stooges.gif

thanks my token foreigner, it's not a need for RAM, it's my IE 6 browser, the graemlins work fine on my netscape 6.2 browser. i just can't stand netscape, any ideas my fellow forumnites? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifacclaim.gifgossip.gif

This article was tailor made for you my favorite tender of bars and the likes smile.gif

web page

Can you see any animations at all (on other sites) ? If not then

In IE go to EXTRAS --> Internet options--> advanced-->multimedia and see if the box next to 'play animations on web pages' is checked.

I'm paraphrasing here as I use a Dutch-language version of IE....

*bumping this thread because the story is now taking off*

Saw mention of this again on two different news networks this morning. And if you do a google search for "di another day" you'll find that every online news agency in the world seems to be talking about it.

Don't know what effect Marvel was going for here... But then I never understood the fascination with Diana anyway...