• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My New York National mini-report

31 posts in this topic

Hi,

This is my report of my short time at this weekend's New York National. I was only there for a few hours Saturday morning but still had a lot of fun. It was my first show in over 15 years so I'm not sure how it compares to others but here is my impression of it.

I arrived at the Penn Plaza hotel a little before 10am. Traffic was light except for around 34th and 7th but nothing out of the ordinary. I parked in a garage on 30th and made my way to the hotel not sure exactly where to go once I got there. I found my way to the entrance to the pavillion, the line was not too long, thankfully i had purchased my ticket ahead of time. After waiting for a few minutes i the advanced ticket line, I saw Michael Carbonaro directing some of the staff at the registration booths and made my way to the first level.

There was not much to see at first. People were still setting up. I saw Bernie Wrightson sitting at his table with a flurry of activity going on around him. There were also an area closed in by drapes. I assume that is where Val Kilmer was sitting. I didn't really care since I was not interested in celebrity autographs. I moved around the back of the escalators, saw some action figures, posters and other memorabillia being sold. Further on, I saw Neal Adams in the left 1st level corner, his corner as I was told by Burntboy, and there were a slew of people waiting to talk to him. I made my way up the escalator to the main floor.

The first thing I saw was the sign for Metropolis Comics, my first destination. I walked up to their table and was wowed by the vast selection of high grade CGC'd comics they have on display. I've heard other forumites describe it but until you see it for yourself. I spoke with Frank asking to see the books I had requested via email. The books were X-Men #50 CGC 9.2 and X-Men #101 CGC 9.6. Frank pulled out three books. The 101 and two 9.2 copies of the 50. I carefully examined the two copies and chose my favorite.

Kudos to Brian (FoolKiller) for his advice about attending the con. It was dead on. Cash is king. I brought about $2K and left with about $800. It enabled me to get a small discount on the books and helped me save on other expenses included in the purchase.

Having purchased my two grails for the day, I made my way to the CGC booth and introduced myself to Steve Borock. He very warmly greeted me and we chatted for a little bit and then he introduced me to Kevin Boyd, who was also very nice, and we chatted as well before I made my way thru the convention hall. There were comics, action figures, DVD's, T-shirts. And quite a lot of people. I made my way to Bob Storms booth and said hello. He had on display an incredible copy of FF #28. It was the White Mountain copy. It made me regret buying my two comics so soon but it was a little beyond my budget anyway. Still, I was tempted to leave a deposit and pay off the rest later.

I walked around some more and found Paul (silverandbronze) Toon Tumbler booth and introduced myself. We talked for a little bit and I couldn't walk away with out picking up a tumbler for myself. I picked out a nice Cyclops tumbler and said my goodbyes. Thanks again Paul thumbsup2.gif

I walked past the upstairs celebrity signing area, saw Adam West relaxing a bit after signing a ton of autographs.I came upon artists row. Many I recognized, Michael Golden, John Romita Sr and Jr., Arnold Drake, others I didn't. I think in the future I will spend more time there as I felt a bit overwhelmed as it was and I only had a limited time. I thumbed thru some of the various bins I came upon but didn't find anything else I was intersted in or could afford. So I decided to head home, saying goodbye to Steve on my way out and telling him I was looking forward to the forum dinner that evening. But for now I was headed back to suburban New York.

I will have a detailed Forum dinner report a little later on but I have a ton of things I must do and my fingers are tired. crazy.gif

Casey

Nice report Casey thumbsup2.gif

Well during the morning I submitted some books to CGC for grading.After that I decided to take a quick go around to see if anything caught my eye.A couple of books did catch my eye but unfortunately were overpriced too much for my liking.I spent some time hanging out at Pauls (SilverandBronze) table (great seeing you again smile.gif ) while he was selling those lovely Toon Tumblers and also had the pleasure of meeting Harry (Burntboy), Steve Borock, and mrwoogieman (who unfortunately could not make it to the dinner frown.gif ) during the day .The only purchase I made was for a bootleg complete series of the 90s X-Men cartoons.That was basically my day at the con.

The dinner was a blast.It was the first time I had the chance to speak just comics with a group of knowlegeable people.At the dinner I met Dmac, Kc120us and fiancee, Burntboys wife, Delekkerste, Best comics, and TV comics.It was definately the best group of guys you could ever met. Unfortunately I had to leave a little early but I had a blast for the three and a half hours I spent there.Had the pleasure of talking to Steve Borock for a couple of minutes hi.gif . I'll see you in Feb and get to have a longer conversation thumbsup2.gif To end this short summary of my day I have to say I had an excellent time and recommened these forum dinners to anyone that has not been to one yet.

Danny

Nice report Casey thumbsup2.gif

Well during the morning I submitted some books to CGC for grading.After that I decided to take a quick go around to see if anything caught my eye.A couple of books did catch my eye but unfortunately were overpriced too much for my liking.I spent some time hanging out at Pauls (SilverandBronze) table (great seeing you again smile.gif ) while he was selling those lovely Toon Tumblers and also had the pleasure of meeting Harry (Burntboy) and Steve Borock during the day.The only purchase I made was for a bootleg complete series of the 90s X-Men cartoons.That was basically my day at the con.

The dinner was a blast.It was the first time I had the chance to speak just comics with a group of knowlegeable people.At the dinner I met Dmac, Kc120us and fiancee, Burntboys wife, Delekkerste, Best comics, and TV comics.It was definately the best group of guys you could ever met. Unfortunately I had to leave a little early but I had a blast for the three and a half hours I spent there.Had the pleasure of talking to Steve Borock for a couple of minutes hi.gif . I'll see you in Feb and get to have a longer conversation thumbsup2.gif To end this short summary of my day I have to say I had an excellent time and recommened these forum dinners to anyone that has not been to one yet.

Danny

Agreed Danny. It was a fun con and an even better dinner.

I was there Saturday afternoon. Good to see Paul at the Toon Tumblers booth (I got a full set of the X-Men glasses!). Nice to meet Mutantkeys, good to see Harry (burntboy) and Darwin again, plus seeing the regulars at the CGC booth, Steve B., Kevin, Harshen, Sean, Tom and Scott, among others. Also stopped to say hello to Ted at Superworld and Blazing Bob.

The Warriors downstairs were a good group of guys, didn't see Val Kilmer, saw Catherine Bach's mother (then realized it was Daisy Dukes herself blush.gif), plus Adam West was indahouse.

Missed the dinner this year, but there's always February.

Nice report, thanks Casey!

893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Tim thumbsup2.gif I hope you enjoyed my forum dinner report as well. They are events that should not be missed.

I know! You should go back and read my reports from San Diego!

893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks Tim thumbsup2.gif I hope you enjoyed my forum dinner report as well. They are events that should not be missed.

Very nice report, Tim. thumbsup2.gif Do you ever make it out to NYC for Cons?

893applaud-thumb.gif

No, timing doesn't work. This past SD was just a case of all the stars aligning properly, a once-in-a-decade event.

893applaud-thumb.gif

No, timing doesn't work. This past SD was just a case of all the stars aligning properly, a once-in-a-decade event.

That's too bad. sorry.gif