• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil #4 page 1 by Orlando???????

16 posts in this topic

I am confused.

Saw a press release today from Comiclink announcing that they had recently sold the pg 1 splash to Daredevil #4 for $14,000 yet the same page had sold in Heritage several days ago for about $5300 (incl the buyers premium).

I am sure there is a reasonable explanation. I just don't know what that is.

S

I am confused.

Saw a press release today from Comiclink announcing that they had recently sold the pg 1 splash to Daredevil #4 for $14,000 yet the same page had sold in Heritage several days ago for about $5300 (incl the buyers premium).

S

Round-off error confused-smiley-013.gif

I am confused.

S

No, it's not "fuzzy math." The Scoop article contained sales made on ComicLink over the past few months. The Daredevil #4 page 1 splash by Orlando sold on ComicLink for $14,000 in August. The buyer either consigned it to Heritage, or traded it to Heritage or something, and it ended up in their auction without a reserve and was ignored completely.

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

The buyer either consigned it to Heritage, or traded it to Heritage or something, and it ended up in their auction without a reserve and was ignored completely.

Are you sure it was ignored? I doubt it. The same piece sold in Heritage on Dec. 7, 2002 for $4,370.00. A $1,000 value increase within 4 years for this artwork is more reasonable than $10K. Appears that the buyer who consigned to Heritage made a two-fold mistake. First, he purchased it at $14K!! Then, he turned around and released it back onto the market without protecting his investment (ie. no reserve)!!!

I am confused.

S

No, it's not "fuzzy math." The Scoop article contained sales made on ComicLink over the past few months. The Daredevil #4 page 1 splash by Orlando sold on ComicLink for $14,000 in August. The buyer either consigned it to Heritage, or traded it to Heritage or something, and it ended up in their auction without a reserve and was ignored completely.

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

In fairness to Josh and the $14,000 he sold this page for, I do think this piece was lost in the Heritage auction. $5300 seems cheap when compared to the outrageous prices I see associated with comic art these days.

Stephen

Anyone know who bought it off CLINK for $14k. I mean that big of a loss is just plan hard to imagine, especially given Heritages allowance of very late reserves being added. The number of collectors that can throw $14k at a page has to be limited since it sounds like a cash deal on CLINK (was it?). When I consigned a big book with Heritage several years back. They specifically asked me what I need to get for the book so I told them and that is where they set the reserve and where they set the place where their commision would start to kick in.

Yes, the loss seems extreme. The timing is certainly odd, too, unless there was some trade involved in the Comiclink deal. Regardless, I'm sure the Heritage consigner hoped the $14,000 Comiclink sale would prop up the "market" for the piece, but alas, Comiclink has its own market sometimes. And the art market is weird no matter what...

Dan

I am confused.

S

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

In fairness to Josh and the $14,000 he sold this page for, I do think this piece was lost in the Heritage auction. $5300 seems cheap when compared to the outrageous prices I see associated with comic art these days.

Stephen

But looking specifically at this piece, the DD #4 splash, not comic art prices in general, we see a very strange trend. $4300 in 12/02, $14K in 8/06 and finally $5300 a couple months ago. This definitely did not get overlooked on Heritage when last sold. It went back to a more accurate value. I will venture to say that bidders researched the history of the piece on Heritage and bid accordingly. 20% increase makes more sense.

I am confused.

S

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

Stephen

But looking specifically at this piece, the DD #4 splash, not comic art prices in general, we see a very strange trend. $4300 in 12/02, $14K in 8/06 and finally $5300 a couple months ago. This definitely did not get overlooked on Heritage when last sold. It went back to a more accurate value. I will venture to say that bidders researched the history of the piece on Heritage and bid accordingly. 20% increase makes more sense.

Actually, from 2002 to the present, comic art prices have oftentimes exploded in price. This particular example perhaps may not double in price in that time span, but certainly key/quality examples by important artists have been known to double or triple during these four years.

There are plenty of examples.

I am confused.

S

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

Stephen

Actually, from 2002 to the present, comic art prices have oftentimes exploded in price. This particular example perhaps may not double in price in that time span, but certainly key/quality examples by important artists have been known to double or triple during these four years.

There are plenty of examples.

That may well be true Hari, but this page is not from a key or even vaguely important, book and is by a mediocre SA artist. confused-smiley-013.gif