• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larson Marvel Mystery Comics #9

115 posts in this topic

You got that right. That is the question??

Not only that, when you look at the Heritage scans they are very detailed and at a glance it does looks like pen and not pencil to me. Also, there would most likely be an imprint on the cover where the "88" was written and would (should have) been picked up by the graders the second time around. How many Larson MMC#9's did they expect to see across their desk the first few years of business anyways. I'm sure the staff at the time were well aware of what was selling in Heritage at that time, ESPECIALLY a grail piece like this.

ah....both labels say "Larson"....does CGC have that many Larson copies of Marvel Mystery 9 coming in for grading that they "forgot" the first one????

Because they were probably given the original label at the time they reslabbed it. That is what makes this so criminal. They knew. They had to know.

And, geez, the Nicholas Cage designation was removed as well!!!! CRIMINAL! sumo.gif27_laughing.gif

ah....both labels say "Larson"....does CGC have that many Larson copies of Marvel Mystery 9 coming in for grading that they "forgot" the first one????

Because they were probably given the original label at the time they reslabbed it. That is what makes this so criminal. They knew. They had to know.

Would they? I mean Steve B always stated that the graders never see the old label(s) on a resub. Since the reholdering if done by a separate group of individuals I can see this slipping by without being questioned. Not saying its right (actually I think its a flawed system) but maybe the encapsulation staff just didn't have enough knowledge/experience or mandate at the time to bring this to the attention of the higher ups?

I suspect the owner simply wrote on the submission form that the book is the Larson. Even if the staff remembered that the book was once a PLOD, the offending glue was gone, and therefore the book was deserving of a blue label.

Not all Larsons have identifying marks, so the absence of Lamont's first or last name, or call-back codes, would not have precluded this book from being the Larson.

Since they keep a scanned copy of covers in their database, they should start looking to see if the books match a previous submission

I think we established in another thread months ago that the database of cover scans is far from comprehensive. If I had to guess, I'd say only a small % of books submitted are scanned.

This stuff is exactly what has caused me to take a long hard pause in my buying and try to decide how to proceed. I have so far passed on two Heritage Auctions and one CLINK auctions. I just don't have time to research copies to the level I think you need to before spending money. People use to say it only happens on the high grade stuff, but I think some of the post have shown that this is not the case. Given CGC's recent disclosure that disassembling a book is not considered restoration has really given me reason to step back and take a long hard look at the hobby. I really think one has to assume everything in a CGC holder is tainted in some way until they can verify otherwise. Stop and think about how many books are upgraded that you don't have before and after pictures.

Definitely discouraging to me ...

It's almost like every angle and every loophole has been exploited to benifit a select few. It's difficult to know who to trust. Beware of people who say "Trust Me" and hold on to your wallet. The thing that bothers me also is some of the great pedigrees that have been tampered with and are no longer pristine. I could do without the Nick Cage on a label, but just the fact that they left it off smells bad.

This stuff is exactly what has caused me to take a long hard pause in my buying and try to decide how to proceed. I have so far passed on two Heritage Auctions and one CLINK auctions. I just don't have time to research copies to the level I think you need to before spending money. People use to say it only happens on the high grade stuff, but I think some of the post have shown that this is not the case. Given CGC's recent disclosure that disassembling a book is not considered restoration has really given me reason to step back and take a long hard look at the hobby. I really think one has to assume everything in a CGC holder is tainted in some way until they can verify otherwise. Stop and think about how many books are upgraded that you don't have before and after pictures.

Greg, you going to go after any of the Batmans Metro just picked up? I bet those would be a safe buy.

Does anyone know who the E-Bay seller Midnightshadowowl17 is? I seem to remember that he had the unrestored copy of the MM 9 for sale on E-Bay. I can't remember if he offered the book before or after the second Heritage auction?

Been there, done that bat-brother (please see my long post from yesterday in the "CL's October Golden Age auction looks to be a good one..." folder).

STEVE

Been there, done that bat-brother (please see my long post from yesterday in the "CL's October Golden Age auction looks to be a good one..." folder).

STEVE

No one should miss this delightfully brilliant post!

Greg, you going to go after any of the Batmans Metro just picked up? I bet those would be a safe buy.

Hey Jeff,

I already emailed them and they are going to try to sell them as a group ...

Greg

STEVE

Hi Steve,

I did read your post and I think you are spot on. I use to buy from Heritage quite a bit, but have now stopped. Just too questionable what has happened to the stock they sell. Same for CLINK. Lets see if I stay away or go back to my "spouse that beats me". I am also getting concerned about the original art as well. I have observed a trend for stat replacements and I am wondering how long until it is undisclosed plus there is a potential for other undisclosed restoration work as well.

Greg

Hey Jeff,

I already emailed them and they are going to try to sell them as a group ...

Greg

How cool would that be? To be able to pick up Batman 1-19 from an original owner collection, with 2-19 appearing unread? cloud9.gif