• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

(thumbs u

My thought was that this requirement would head off some of the "jackazzes" as our eloquent brother has stated, the only way to avoid EVERY issue is to not have the forum at all. And that would suck.

They mean nothing in one sense, but a minimum post count may minimize the amount of jackazzes who think this is a free version of an ebay storefront with hundreds of rubes waiting for their crappy wares.

I agree and think a minimum post count or a minimum "waiting period" after registering is a great idea. I have always thought it was unfair that any newbie/fly-by-night scam artist could come and hawk their wares here without limitation, but well-established and respected forum members (aka "dealers") were not allowed to do so by the "books may not be advertised elsewhere" rule.

To witness, see the recent posts from nearmint, qualitycomics, houseofcomics, blazinbob, etc.,. concerning this very issue in the "The Dealer Forum is Dead" thread. There are other existing forum guidelines that would preclude the Metropolis' and Mile Highs of the world from coming here and listing their inventory in bulk. Specifically, I believe that guidelines #4 (no outside links, oops I guess we can't use Paypal!) and #9 (prompt responses must be made through the boards - posts or PMs) already serve as an effective "filter" to dealer spam posts.

To that end, I propose a simple revision to guideline #3 that would cleanly achieve the desired result:

3. It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board. can only be offered here at a lower price.

To that end, I propose a simple revision to guideline #3 that would cleanly achieve the desired result:

3. It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board. can only be offered here at a lower price.

Uh, ya mean $199.99 instead of $200? :baiting: It would have to be significantly lower . . . say 20%

They mean nothing in one sense, but a minimum post count may minimize the amount of jackazzes who think this is a free version of an ebay storefront with hundreds of rubes waiting for their crappy wares.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

My thought was that this requirement would head off some of the "jackazzes" as our eloquent brother has stated, the only way to avoid EVERY issue is to not have the forum at all. And that would suck.

(thumbs u :applause:

Uh, ya mean $199.99 instead of $200? :baiting: It would have to be significantly lower . . . say 20%

Any amount...as long as it's lower. The magnitude of the difference is really not the point, but rather the fact that the price would have to be changed.

I suppose one could list their books and state "Take 10% off all listed prices" to cover it (and who doesn't want a discount! :applause:), but again, that's not what's going to keep us from being deluged with unwanted hordes of over-priced junk - the other guidelines already accomplish that.

I formally propose a 90-day waiting period from registration date, before being able to post a sales thread in the Forum Only selling forum. :sumo:

Who seconds this motion? :whistle:

Problem is you can't really enforce it. Noobs can still come here and post their books. And, as history has shown, whether they are following the rules or not, if they are offering a book someone is interested in, they will get action.

The burden is on us buyers to not enable the rule-breakers. But greed generally prevails.

I formally propose a 90-day waiting period from registration date, before being able to post a sales thread in the Forum Only selling forum. :sumo:

seconded :makepoint:

Duely noted, those in favor say, "aye" ;)

90 days? Isn't that a bit harsh, David? hm I started selling books about a month or so after I joined. As far as I know, I haven't had any complaints.

And does this also include buying? I started buying books after being on the Boards only a couple of weeks...

My suggestion is 30 days waiting period (with active posting) for selling,and as far as NOOBs buying stuff in the Marketplace, it would be up to the discretion of the seller.

90 days? Isn't that a bit harsh, David? hm I started selling books about a month or so after I joined. As far as I know, I haven't had any complaints.

And does this also include buying? I started buying books after being on the Boards only a couple of weeks...

My suggestion is 30 days waiting period (with active posting) for selling,and as far as NOOBs buying stuff in the Marketplace, it would be up to the discretion of the seller.

Make your own motion Comrade :makepoint::insane:

aye :popcorn:

I can see your point; however, maybe what is needed is a thirty day waiting period for buying and a ninety day waiting period for selling. When you take into account that you are trusting someone with your money, I do not think that is unreasonable at all.

Aye

I agree with the concept as it is. I feel 90 days may be a bit harsh but I still agree. But I think it should also include active posting as well. Not join and wait three months then start selling books with 1 or no posts...

How would this be monitored/enforced? Could Arch perhaps highlight their "date registered" in red until 90 days has passed? :shrug:

Edited by djpinkpanther67

I can see your point; however, maybe what is needed is a thirty day waiting period for buying and a ninety day waiting period for selling. When you take into account that you are trusting someone with your money, I do not think that is unreasonable at all.

Uh, discussion period has long been closed, please vote. :sumo:

Could Arch perhaps highlight their "date registered" in red until 90 days has passed? :shrug:

Don't they teach addition and subtraction in the US Army? (shrug):insane:

No just how to kill :grin:

Uh, discussion period has long been closed, please vote. :sumo:

Pfffttt!