• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

I'm sick to death of giving people a pass if they are 'nice' or have 'nice books'. that...play by the rules or have it pointed out to you.

That bugs the heck out of me too - newbs with POS books are ridden out on a rail for sneezing in the wrong direction, but someone comes on with connections and some nicer books, and board groupies are actively supporting their multiple transgressions?

It's sad, really.

I'd also like to point out that - EVEN IF YOU DON'T SHOW THE LABEL, OR MENTION THEM BY NAME, SELLING PGX BOOKS IN THE MARKETPLACE IS VERBOTEN.

But yeah, the whole concept of being unable to tell someone nicely they're breaking the rules without getting jumped on by either the rule-breaker or those who would rush to said seller's defense is all a bit ludicrous.

A weird and wonderful thought...

There have been many ideas about disbarring people from posting in the Marketplace until they have been registered a certain amount of time, or have posted x amount of times, or...

Is there any way for the Mods to disable 'new' posting rights in the Marketplace until a statement of selling rules has been PMed to the seller, and that statement has been read? Maybe when a newb attempts to start a new post in the Marketplace, a message comes up that a PM has been sent to him/her and that until he/she confirms he/she has read and understood it, they cannot post?

Possible?

Too much trouble? (shrug)

A weird and wonderful thought...

There have been many ideas about disbarring people from posting in the Marketplace until they have been registered a certain amount of time, or have posted x amount of times, or...

Is there any way for the Mods to disable 'new' posting rights in the Marketplace until a statement of selling rules has been PMed to the seller, and that statement has been read? Maybe when a newb attempts to start a new post in the Marketplace, a message comes up that a PM has been sent to him/her and that until he/she confirms he/she has read and understood it, they cannot post?

Possible?

Too much trouble? (shrug)

It would be sort of possible, based on my limited knowledge of the way UBBthreads Admin tools work. You would have to make all new users a new "group" who would only have read rights in the Marketplace. But you couldn't automate the PM process, nor the confirmation / rights change process, unless you had a pretty good PHP scripter on hand who knew the UBB PHP code inside and out.

What Sal wrote...

'It would be sort of possible, based on my limited knowledge of the way UBBthreads Admin tools work. You would have to make all new users a new "group" who would only have read rights in the Marketplace. But you couldn't automate the PM process, nor the confirmation / rights change process, unless you had a pretty good PHP scripter on hand who knew the UBB PHP code inside and out.'

What FT understood...

'It would be sort of possible... :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:'

What Sal wrote...

'It would be sort of possible, based on my limited knowledge of the way UBBthreads Admin tools work. You would have to make all new users a new "group" who would only have read rights in the Marketplace. But you couldn't automate the PM process, nor the confirmation / rights change process, unless you had a pretty good PHP scripter on hand who knew the UBB PHP code inside and out.'

What FT understood...

'It would be sort of possible... :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:'

:roflmao:

What Sal wrote...

What FT understood...

:cloud9: nagging wife/girlfriend filter

What Sal wrote...

What FT understood...

:cloud9: nagging wife/girlfriend filter

Nah...that's what these are for...

sr325i.gif

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

The solution is quite simple imho:

The best thing to do is to nominate a serious board member as moderator of the" Comics Market - Forum Only Selling " section of the board.

How to do:

1) Ask Arch if it's ok to do so.

2) Get a list of volunteers.

3) Make a pool and vote for the moderator you want.

4) :popcorn:

I went TJ Hooker on him?

I asked a simple question and Dale absolutely blew a fuse, calling me names, insulting my intelligence and basically acting like a tool. He also blew up on several other posters who brought the transgressions, and insulted them as well.

But I'm the bad guy, right? lollol

EDIT: It looks like the thread got nuked. lol:banana:^^

Vince, you were neither saint, nor victim, so let's get that out of the way up front...

However, Dale had the arse and the tone of his responses were not what I would hope for. The 'I suppose I might have slightly bent a little titchy-witchy rule or two' defense is poor, especially from one of the better-known sellers on the boards, and he did go into semi-meltdown with his 'thanks to icefires and GACollectibles' snide comment.

That it was then declared that all transgressions should be pointed out by PM firstly is also total BS. We don't go the PM route with newbs, so why do it with someone who should know better (and, let's be honest, actually does)?

I'm sick to death of giving people a pass if they are 'nice' or have 'nice books'. that...play by the rules or have it pointed out to you. And don't act the arse when it is pointed out to you in your thread, and don't start arguing whether they are good rules or not...they are the ones we've got until they change.

Besides, if you did things properly in the first place, none of this would happen, now, would it? :makepoint:

I assume the part in RED was directed at me. I'm not sure who the "WE" part of this statement is directed at since it doesn't include me.

There are a more than a couple of ways to deal with infractions:

1) PM the person first and ask them to clarify/fix the problem. I've done this before with various posters. It's called fixing the problem "behind the scenes". Minimal fuss. No one's feelings get hurt. Situation resolved.

I have no problem with calling attention to the problem IN THE THREAD if it isn't resolved. (shrug)

2) Call the poster a N00B. Attack them for not reading the Guidelines posted by Arch. Disrupt their sales thread with what you think are clear and open statements, but actually read as attacks by most everyone else. Invite others to jump in with their own comments thereby guaranteeing thread disrupture. Eventually, the thread degenerates into personal attacks about the posters themselves.

One method potentially helps the person without calling them out. The other method just causes resentment and/or a flame war.

Both methods will eventually lead to a resolution.

(I don't care if the poster has been on the board since 2002 or s/he just came on last month.)

1) PM the person first and ask them to clarify/fix the problem. I've done this before with various posters. It's called fixing the problem "behind the scenes". Minimal fuss. No one's feelings get hurt. Situation resolved.

I have no problem with calling attention to the problem IN THE THREAD if it isn't resolved. (shrug)

Thank you :applause: I think that what is being stated is that there are non-antagonistic ways to inform sellers that there are fairly strict guidelines to follow for selling in the marketplace.

Dan

Thank you :applause: I think that what is being stated is that there are non-antagonistic ways to inform sellers that there are fairly strict guidelines to follow for selling in the marketplace.

But in this case it wouldn't have mattered, as Dale never admitted he broke any rules, and even slammed the Sales Guidelines themselves. doh!

Some people will never listen, and if someone wants to post on the CGC Forums, and NOT follow CGC rules, then we should be free to point this out to them, especially those that have been around and were obviously trying to circumvent them.

But in this case it wouldn't have mattered, as Dale never admitted he broke any rules, and even slammed the Sales Guidelines themselves. doh!

Some people will never listen, and if someone wants to post on the CGC Forums, and NOT follow CGC rules, then we should be free to point this out to them, especially those that have been around and were obviously trying to circumvent them.

I agree in principle with what you are saying. If the PM's do not seem to work, then I would feel free to post in the thread itself. Is the thread gone? I couldn't find it, but I thought that Dale did agree to close his sale.

Dan

Is the thread gone? I couldn't find it, but I thought that Dale did agree to close his sale.

Sure, but all the books, scans, prices, and dealer website links were still there, so I assume the Mods took a dim view of his *closing*. :insane: