• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Commissions

66 posts in this topic

Jon,

I notice that you commissioned Flessel to recreate the Detective 18 Fu Manchu cover. Did Flessel tell you who was the original artist on that cover? Most people think that it was O'Melia, but some think it was Flessel.

Frankly, I do not remember. However, it was my impression that he was only doing his own work. Charlie Roberts had one done before me of the same image. (Flessel wrote on the back, that he liked this rendering better) Knowing Charlie and knowing myself, I would not had him do one he did not do. Flessel lives on Long Island and may well be able to confirm.

Sorry- I cannot be more helpful. Jon

Jon,

I notice that you commissioned Flessel to recreate the Detective 18 Fu Manchu cover. Did Flessel tell you who was the original artist on that cover? Most people think that it was O'Melia, but some think it was Flessel.

Frankly, I do not remember. However, it was my impression that he was only doing his own work. Charlie Roberts had one done before me of the same image. (Flessel wrote on the back, that he liked this rendering better) Knowing Charlie and knowing myself, I would not had him do one he did not do. Flessel lives on Long Island and may well be able to confirm.

that recreation gallery is just stupidly amazingly ridiculous. i mean, Murphy 893censored-thumb.gif Anderson doing Lou Fine? it's just too much comic goodness. that's like a Charlie Kaufman adaptation of a Cormac Mccarthy novel, directed by the Coen brothers. pure sublime fantasticalness

As I've said before, in my opinion, the best piece in Jon's collection is the L.B. Cole Mask 1 cover recreation. For crying out loud, that thing is beautiful. The greatest GA cover ever created, for my money.

the mind boggles, doesn't it. it's enough to make a man lead a life of crime or something

As I've said before, in my opinion, the best piece in Jon's collection is the L.B. Cole Mask 1 cover recreation. For crying out loud, that thing is beautiful. The greatest GA cover ever created, for my money.

In person it's stunning, partly because it was so beautifully drawn and partly because it's poster sized. Enormous.

Flessel actually lives in Mill Valley, CA now. When I spoke to him on the phone back in January he told me that he and his wife moved there about two years ago to be closer to their grand-children (or was it great-grand-children?). I had called to ask if he would do a cover recreation to Adventure #40, and he said "I don't like to do covers anymore. I'm nearly 95 you know. I'm old enough now that I'm my own boss." We had a good laugh about that, and then he said he would do smaller Sandman piece for me. Here it is:

img2372tn8.jpg

Does Moldoff still do commissions ? - I'd love a piece by him ! - Please let me know how to contact him.

I spoke at length with Shelly tonight. He is officially retired. He said, he no longer needs to do them financially and he just doesn't have the will to put the work into them anymore. He is 86 years old now.

We had a wonderful talk, as always. He sounds great, but still misses Shirley. I asked him to reiterate some of the things he had told me over the years about the early days, and about Bob Kane. I will post them in the Bob Kane thread.

He said if you send him a fan letter he would reply and might do a simple sketch, but no more color drawings.

Flessel actually lives in Mill Valley, CA now. When I spoke to him on the phone back in January he told me that he and his wife moved there about two years ago to be closer to their grand-children (or was it great-grand-children?). I had called to ask if he would do a cover recreation to Adventure #40, and he said "I don't like to do covers anymore. I'm nearly 95 you know. I'm old enough now that I'm my own boss." We had a good laugh about that, and then he said he would do smaller Sandman piece for me. Here it is:

img2372tn8.jpg

Beautiful!!

Jon,

Actually Flessel live near san francisco now. I need to call him about my commission.

In person it's stunning, partly because it was so beautifully drawn and partly because it's poster sized. Enormous.

Man oh man. hail.gif