• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Commissions

66 posts in this topic

I stumpled upon the jbcomicbox gallery last year at comicartfans and was inspired to bother, er commission, jim mooney for a four favorites cover. but, i decided to go with a recreation of his first cover ever... from super-mystery. he included a very nice letter recollecting this issue. it's very exciting to have a cover recreation from this period! 1582444-supermysterycover.JPG

I think it was smart move on your part to get one of his early Ace pieces -- but to have the first and his recollections, well, that's just icing on the cake. Was there anything in his recollections that you'd care to share with your fellow forumites?

we'll jim mooney didn't recollect that much. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif i didn't really know it was his first cover until he clued me in. he said he was in his early twenties when he did the original. i liked the extreme perspective on the train, the clown, and having a pretty girl. plus, it's just nice to have the letter to accompany the art. and, knowing that it's the only recreation he made of that cover is nice too. often, i see the same classic stuff redone over and over.

we'll jim mooney didn't recollect that much. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif i didn't really know it was his first cover until he clued me in. he said he was in his early twenties when he did the original. i liked the extreme perspective on the train, the clown, and having a pretty girl. plus, it's just nice to have the letter to accompany the art. and, knowing that it's the only recreation he made of that cover is nice too. often, i see the same classic stuff redone over and over.

Thanks -- I like that cover for all the reasons you listed.

While not a recreation, this is my only early Ace comic and was purchased because Jim did the cover and, well, I like it!

Lightning5.jpg

I stumpled upon the jbcomicbox gallery last year at comicartfans and was inspired to bother, er commission, jim mooney for a four favorites cover. but, i decided to go with a recreation of his first cover ever... from super-mystery. he included a very nice letter recollecting this issue. it's very exciting to have a cover recreation from this period! 1582444-supermysterycover.JPG

gotta love this stuff!!!! jb

While not a recreation, this is my only early Ace comic and was purchased because Jim did the cover and, well, I like it!

Wow, that book is in nice shape and that is a great cover. I wonder why they decided to change Flash Lightning to Lash Lightning? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wow, that book is in nice shape and that is a great cover. I wonder why they decided to change Flash Lightning to Lash Lightning? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks. It's the Church copy. The story is a lot of fun -- the Mummy breaks out of prison in dramatic fashion and has a showdown with Flash, soon to be Lash, Lightning.