• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Commissions

66 posts in this topic

Would he not say his Planet 1 Cover is his pride and joy?

Yes, he would. The nexus/center of my stuff.

There obviously was some market in the late 1970s as Collectors Showcase sold/arranged for a bunch of recreations by various artists. Many of us stand indebted to them for their foresight.

As to me, I would tackle (as my son would quip) 80+ old gents to do recreations of their original work. A challenge at best. In all cases, they were more than gracious and had 'fun' doing them.

Jon

Jon, just curious if its ok. Do you collect Joe Shuster art ?

I do not have any. It depends what I fall over and to tell you the truth there are other artists and characters I look for. Hey, I would have loved the Fred Ray recreation that Burkey had, but the tuitions are acallin' me........Jon

Here is one thru pure luck (and persistence) I just got.....Ms. Lily Renee (Phillips)- who drew for Fiction House in the mid 1940s and did some tremendous work....-could not understand why I would want her to recreate one of her covers....

Though out of comics for over fifty years.....she can "still ride a bicycle".....

No brainer, don't ya think????

1557245-planet35copy.JPG

1557245-planet35copy.JPG.81e497bedcf5de9b10eaa08709f1f76f.JPG

I stumpled upon the jbcomicbox gallery last year at comicartfans and was inspired to bother, er commission, jim mooney for a four favorites cover. but, i decided to go with a recreation of his first cover ever... from super-mystery. he included a very nice letter recollecting this issue. it's very exciting to have a cover recreation from this period! 1582444-supermysterycover.JPG

1582444-supermysterycover.JPG.80f1dc388f9ed9ff41219473c0309a60.JPG

You sold your Detective 35 cover?!

1111avatar.jpg

Sadly yes. One of my biggest regrets. I want it back and will pay through the nose to have it, if I find it.

When you look at someone's life, something like that is a small regret indeed. At least you owned it once and it is just a possesion after all. And as much as we cherish these type of collectibles, we still can't take them with us. Although, I keep telling my wife that I want to be buried in a crypt that is climate controlled, with all my books safely stored and comfortable furnishings ... so that people can hang out and read them(under proper supervision of course) also, I want my body to be stuffed so that it could occasionally be used in film and theatre as a dead body or store mannequin. She thinks I'm kidding....... but it would be cool, sitting in my favorite chair, in my crypt, reading the very last Rang-A-Tang story from Blue Ribbon 22, till the end of time.... Until the trumpets sound and issue #28 of Top Notch Comics is released with an Al Camy cover and the conclusion of The Firefly Story and no sign of Pokey Oakey...... then would my spirit be at rest......finally.....

1111avatar.jpg

Sadly yes. One of my biggest regrets. I want it back and will pay through the nose to have it, if I find it.

When you look at someone's life, something like that is a small regret indeed. At least you owned it once and it is just a possesion after all. And as much as we cherish these type of collectibles, we still can't take them with us. Although, I keep telling my wife that I want to be buried in a crypt that is climate controlled, with all my books safely stored and comfortable furnishings ... so that people can hang out and read them(under proper supervision of course) also, I want my body to be stuffed so that it could occasionally be used in film and theatre as a dead body or store mannequin. She thinks I'm kidding....... but it would be cool, sitting in my favorite chair, in my crypt, reading the very last Rang-A-Tang story from Blue Ribbon 22, till the end of time.... Until the trumpets sound and issue #28 of Top Notch Comics is released with an Al Camy cover and the conclusion of The Firefly Story and no sign of Pokey Oakey...... then would my spirit be at rest......finally.....

I was with you for the first two sentences, and even started to feel better....THEN.... 27_laughing.gif

1111avatar.jpg

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif