• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying My First GA Book

38 posts in this topic

Matt.....we need to talk GA GGA for a little while....you'll get a sweet cover book in VF/NM range for $350 or you can get a low grade "hero" book....

you need a copy of Zoot 14 or All Top 16, or a nice early Jumbo or Jungle..(easier to find in grade).......

...just to suggest maybe going after one of the WWII era books. If you're only going to have one GA book, kinda cool to have one of the really old ones...in hand, they have more "heft" to them, are full of house ads for other early DC books, and really speak of a different era. Just my two cents...very much look forward to seeing where you end up.

I just read Fight Comics 21, from 1942. Every single story was about fighting and killing Japanese or Nazis, even the humor strip. I won't even start as to how racist the book was. The GA books really were a different era and it's fun and interesting to get a glimpse of how things were back then.

I second the suggestion of widening the search beyond hero books. The Golden Age was about all genres. You have to step out of the Bronze Age prejudice that good comics are only about superheroes.

hail.gif

I agree, there is an aura about WW2 books. Even though i have never owned one, something jumps at you when looking at them.

Thanks Jon (and everyone else). I've already started shopping around. Will post the result here laugh.gif

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Glad you are joining the fold Anfield!

thumbsup2.gif

Matt-

What i would think about if I were you is not so much waht will be the first book, but what after that? If you're thinking about Batman or Detective, are you going to try to complete a run eventually, or a collection of cool covers. How many will be high grade? If you want mostly HG, the run is going to be short.

I am mostly into GA GGA and not so much superhero, because you don't have to be so run conscious about GGA books, they have shorter runs and they tend to be cheaper than most superhero titles. If I do end up pursuing a superhero title in earnest (Supes might be the onee, GA Cap Am would be great but is a pipe dream due to price), I'd probably settle on presentable copies for most. Ican see myself buying most copies of say #20-100 in the $200 range, then search for decent value in #1-20. That's going to total a lot of $ in the end.

I'm also starting to get paranoid about owning all these pricey slabs, where and how to keep them, and whether they're going to suffer SSC someday. Once some core interests are filled, I'm going to focus on some low-mid grade raw collecting.

In summary, IMO start with

a title you really like

a title in which getting a run is feasible

low-mid grade presentable books that you can read, enjoy, and access easily

In summary, IMO start with

a title you really like

a title in which getting a run is feasible

low-mid grade presentable books that you can read, enjoy, and access easily

My sentiments as well. Hard to go wrong with this philosophy. My only deviation from this tactic is when I buy big keys, I go for nicely restored ones to keep the price down. Otherwise it is mid grade raw books all the way!

893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks for all the sugestions! I've looked at all the covers everyone mentioned and i love the Joker covers in particular 893applaud-thumb.gif

One book i've always wanted is Batman 66. Cool cover and the "boner" story. Is that a tough one?

Also i would like to add that if the right were to come along, i would be willing to go over $350 - maybe to $500 tops.

Thanks guys thumbsup2.gif

Classic cover! 893applaud-thumb.gif Here is a 7.0 that Heritage sold for $431.

815028173o.jpg

It'll take some searching, but I'm sure you can find one. I started the GA Dealer List for just this sort of search. smile.gif

Classic cover. Can't go wrong with that. I believe there's one on eBay right now. thumbsup2.gif

I lump "themes" in with genres. I'm doubling up my two hobbies, surfing and comics, by collecting GA comics with surfing covers.

Just started, and so far have only 1, World's Finest #36.

An excellent suggestion!

I think paratrooper is creating quite a little set based on looking for paratrooper covers.

Matt, if it suits your personality better to just have one book and a superhero HG one at that, go for it! My preference would be to get one of most major types instead because you're new to GA and to me it's more satisfying to have say one pre-code horror, one pre-code crime, one GGA, one superhero and maybe an early Barks (common) and maybe a science fiction one too, all in lower grade (but still decent). There are so many great $40-80 books, as these guys well know. I'd think you could get quite a sampling with a $350 budget.

I do like that Batman 66 though!

Marc

Part of the fun of my collection is the search. Literally every week a new book pops up that I never expected to fit into my run (check out my thread for some off the wall titles with paratroopers). Sure you can choose to collect Batman books, but to me that's no fun, how hard is it really to put a complete Batman run together (if you have the cash)?

Couple of suggestions for a cool easy run to put together:

1. Complete SOTI/POP book run

2. Classic Cover run

3. Atomic Bomb storyline/covers

The SOTI/POP run is probably the easiest to complete. Heck, a list is already made for you. Plus the books themselves are not that expensive (in low grade). And the stories are fantastic.

Couple of suggestions for a cool hard run to put together:

1: Golden age WWII books that promote recycling

2. Communist Propaganda books

3. Racist covers

These are the sets I would recommend, both for historical relevance and fanFrickentastic reading. The thrill of hunting the books in these sets will most likely make you want to keep them for a long time.

I think a classic cover is a must. If you are going to have a GA sample book a random midgrade Batman isn't going to cut it. Also, make it a challenge which is part of the GA allure. Just like SA Spiderman a little bit of money is all you need to buy a run. Many GA issues take more than just money even at the mid grade level. I haven't checked prices but I recommend the a Ditko issue from the THING! run. Issue 16 is consistently up for sale in CGC 9.0 or better since it was a warehouse find. Classic cover and injury to eye panel.

Here's one for sale. Since when can you get a CGC 9.6 from 1954 for under $600. Not a great investment IMO but a nice sample copy

Thing 16 on ebay

But a better cover and classic Ditko is Thing 15. What a great issue. Here's a VG

Thing 15 on ebay

The very early issue with Ditko cover art are pretty tough but worth the search. Here's a 17 with arguable connections to Spiderman and Dr Strange at least in art Form. And only $200 for a supposed Fine/VF. An affordable short run that is doable if you decided to keep buying.

Thing 17

I think a classic cover is a must. If you are going to have a GA sample book a random midgrade Batman isn't going to cut it. Also, make it a challenge which is part of the GA allure. Just like SA Spiderman a little bit of money is all you need to buy a run. Many GA issues take more than just money even at the mid grade level. I haven't checked prices but I recommend the a Ditko issue from the THING! run. Issue 16 is consistently up for sale in CGC 9.0 or better since it was a warehouse find. Classic cover and injury to eye panel.

Here's one for sale. Since when can you get a CGC 9.6 from 1954 for under $600. Not a great investment IMO but a nice sample copy

Thing 16 on ebay

But a better cover and classic Ditko is Thing 15. What a great issue. Here's a VG

Thing 15 on ebay

The very early issue with Ditko cover art are pretty tough but worth the search. Here's a 17 with arguable connections to Spiderman and Dr Strange at least in art Form. And only $200 for a supposed Fine/VF. An affordable short run that is doable if you decided to keep buying.

Thing 17

I have to admit the Thing books are great covers and interiors for horror, and the 16 was a warehouse find, so you can pick up an otherwise awsome book for very little money compared to the surrounding issues.

#9 is my favorite. Love GA black covers. cloud9.gif

TheThing9.jpg

That's my favorite cover too...I've owned two lower grade copies (since sold) but am still on the lookout for a F/VF or better copy...yours looks nice 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

#9 is my favorite. Love GA black covers. cloud9.gif

That's my favorite cover too...I've owned two lower grade copies (since sold) but am still on the lookout for a F/VF or better copy...yours looks nice 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks Comicdey, you sold me a copy of that book. Fantastic cover......I know, I know it's not a paratrooper book. But it has been mentioned in SOTI.