• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fingerprints

5 posts in this topic

I accidently left a large fingerprint on one of my key black covers. Is there a safe way to remove it. And what is the grading rationale that a fingerprint affects the grade since it appears to me getting oils off the books is conservation and not restoration . Thank you.

If there is still surface gloss, I'm sure that there is a way to remove the fingerprint with a cotton swab and a tiny amount of solvent. gossip.gif

Obviously, if it's a high price book you may not want to DIY. Contact Matt Nelson and ask him. Just don't wait too long... I'd imagine the finger oils would eventually work their way into the ink and leave a permanent mark.

If you have a bronze book from 1971 with a black cover. In the current condition it is a 9.4 candidate then how much would a small fingerprint lower the overall cgc grade. Book is beautiful otherwise. I can't remember if I put it there or if it came like that. Its an oakland copy to boot.

If you have a bronze book from 1971 with a black cover. In the current condition it is a 9.4 candidate then how much would a small fingerprint lower the overall cgc grade. Book is beautiful otherwise. I can't remember if I put it there or if it came like that. Its an oakland copy to boot.

I think it all depends on how prominent the print is. Is it dead center and impossible to miss or near and edge or in artwork that makes it easy to miss? I'd say if it's really unobtrusive the book could still be a 9.0/9.2. If it's like a stick in your eye, probably 8.0/8.5.