• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this Superman 1

38 posts in this topic

Good lord, I've had GA books given 2.0s by CGC that look VASTLY better than that. I understand there's the famous Action 1 CGC 2.5 out there, but I have a 2.0 1942 book that looks SO much better than that.

Granted, your's is Superman 1, mine is not, and I guess graildom bumps the grade up.

Good lord, I've had GA books given 2.0s by CGC that look VASTLY better than that. I understand there's the famous Action 1 CGC 2.5 out there, but I have a 2.0 1942 book that looks SO much better than that.

Granted, your's is Superman 1, mine is not, and I guess graildom bumps the grade up.

I thought 1.5 was a tough grade for this book. (I'm not complaining or anything but I did have my fingers crossed for a 1.8) How much lower do you think this book should've graded? confused-smiley-013.gif

As far as the green around the spine, I'm not really sure what it is. It looks like some sort of magic marker or something that has been smeared or faded. I'm no expert or anything, but I don't think its color touch. (It doesn't even come close to matching the colors anywhere on the cover. quote]

Ah Ah Ah 893naughty-thumb.gif

What if the person who put the green marker on there was color blind, then it might have been an attempt (albeit unsuccessful) to improve the book. And as we all know it's not about the damage, it's about what the person was THINKING.

Actually, I am hoping you get the coveted blue label and all that, but can't resist pointing out that you're an intelligent person and yet you're currently wondering whether your book will be worth less or more based on somebody's evaluation about the mental process behind the marks as opposed to the marks themselves. And we're all supposed to buy into the notion that mismatching color is actually BETTER -- even though it makes the book appear WORSE.

Sorry I must stop. My head just exploded while trying to wrap my head around that.

I actually did talk briefly with Matt about having the book restored, and he wasn't sure it would get much higher than a 6.0. So after factoring in resto costs I figured it'd probably be worth more this way.

probably Ext. I figured with a restored 6.0 I'd get about $20k. Minus $3k or so in resto costs I'd probably net around $17k. And I should be able to get that much in its current state.

I think you did fine Adam thumbsup2.gif If the new owner wants to restore it and keep it they can and will if that is their want. I could see getting the tape removed and see what is going on under there.

But this way you did not have to #1 wait for the resto work to be done, and #2.. if somebody wants a complete unrestored copy they will pay you what the book is worth in that condition.

It is a Supes #1, I can see both routes having merit depending on what the owners criteria is.

Ze-

Supermannumber1.jpg

What is the market value on a copy in this grade?

hello all...

just a little more current info...the 2.0 Gd that Perry (the fellow with the 1-108 set on ebay) has, has received several $30K offers....and, I believe Adam had a 1.0 that he sold for $20K ?...so, I suspect this 1.5 is closer to $17-$20K in value...but, a book is only worth what someone is willing to pay...

rick

$10k-ish, i believe. Metro has sold similar ones for that amount.

Way off. 2 years ago I was able to get a 1.0 for $12,000, but that is not the case anymore.

As Rick already mentioned, the owner of the CGC 2.0 on eBay has turned down $30,000 offers. I listed a CGC 1.0 on eBay a few months ago and it sold for $20k. (I had 3 people offer me $20k, I sold it to the one who offered it to me first)

A copy like this would sell for anywhere between $17k-$23k depending on who's watching on any given week.