• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most valuable comic in your collection bought at cover.

58 posts in this topic

X-Men #1, came back 8.5

893applaud-thumb.gif

Looks like the winner so far, unless someone's Hulk #181 is a 9.9 or better.

What I lack in quality, I make up in QUANTITY!

ASM v1#110-441, v2#1-22 all bought at cp is my strongest title. Also X-Men #90-300 minus #94 (sad story there!). Superman #270-423. Spectacular Spider-Man #1-259. By the time I was buying comics new off the rack, I had learned to take care of them. All these are pretty much in VF+ or better. I have some of the older issues of these titles too of course, but often bought them second-hand, and/or didn't take care of them well, and so conditions are more varied.

Newer stuff like Warlord #1-133, Nexus #1-80, TMNT #1-13, Bone #1-34, Spawn #1-30. etc. Anyone else buy Aristocratic Xtra-Terrestrial Time Traveling Thieves #1-10 and still have them? smile.gif

But I can't compete with a single issue key like an X-Men #1 in 8.5 ! How many grand is that X-Men worth? Remember where you bought it? Remember buying it?

hi, ninanina - I'd like to say my Hulk #181 is in NM shape but I'm not qualified enough to say if it's 9.2, 9.4 or what it is. At that time all the comics I bought came from a drugstore that had shelves, not spinner racks so at least it didn't get mangled that way. I think I was using Robert Bell bags back then too for protection. wink.gif

I was buying in the late 60's to early 70's. I bought the Superman/Flash race (Superman 199? Or maybe it was the Flash book, can't remember) and loved the issue but it didn't survive childhood. (I was a bit late hiding my comics from Mom, so she got a bunch. When I realized what was happening I spirited away a small stack, and those are the ones I still have). I have a Lois Lane 71 (2nd SA appearance of Catwoman) in thrashed condition. I also bought a Spider-Man and a Fantastic Four -- no idea what issues. I read them each once and never picked them up again (hated them), so if I still had them, they'd probably be in NM condition.

I just realized that I should check the ottoman of the easy chair in the basement. That's where my brothers used to hide their Playboys and sometimes comics got stored there as well. I think the 2 Marvel books were in there (I have a vague memory of sticking those two in the ottoman because my brothers wanted 'cover' books that looked innocuous). I wonder if they're still there?

-- Joanna

I just started collecting comic books.

I bought a a few copies of Ultimate War #1 - sent 6 copies to CGC, one received 10.0 MINT!!!!

30 copies of Ultimate Spiderman issue #33

30 copies of Ultimates #2

30 copies of Origin #1

10 to 20 years from now: Are these issues a great buy or a bust?????

I bought a a few copies of Ultimate War #1 - sent 6 copies to CGC, one received 10.0 MINT!!!!

Nice submission ! Very hard to find high grade book with this poor soft cover.

Ya that is interesting that most of the books are so new, it really kinda makes you appreciate the difficulty of retaining the higher grade older books and the significance of some of the pedigree finds. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think the most interesting thing that I have ever found is an old scrap book/ledger where my father who is 66 wrote down the comic books that he had which included Detectives under 75, and other books from the mid-late 40s. WhenI asked him where they went he reply that my grandparents threw them out, or they were used for insulation in walls of their house when new rooms were built. Hmmm, I'm off to get a sledge hammer, I wonder if the the owners wink.gif really need that wall. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Great thread.

It's tough, since I have probably 90% of the books I've ever bought and I've been collecting since 1975. Here's a few possibilities: X-men 99-143. DD 158, 168. Paid 15 cents for my F+ GL/GA 76 (admittedly, from another kid in 1976). Any valuable Marvel or DC from 1976-1982, (many bought for less than cover thru the kid of a friend of Stan Lee's who received a box from Marvel every week and also thru Westfield comics-man, how I'd wait for the Westfield box to show up every 2 weeks).

Most of the ones I bought at cover are not worth a whole lot (Superboys and Actions). I bought Superman 75 (new) at cover price though.

Also, the local shop was selling a bunch of overstock at cover price and I bought several copies of Savage She-Hulk #1 and Action #442 at cover price.

X-Men #1, came back 8.5

WOW! That's impressive not only to still have it, but the condition. 893whatthe.gif

Wish I had a prize to give you, but with that book still in your possesion, you don't need one. grin.gif

(In reference to the 9.2 or 9.4 Hulk 181)

2nd place. (So far) Anybody out there ready to bump this guy to 3rd?

Congratulations on keeping this one . I know a lot of collectors bailed out on this one when they could sell it for $100.00 or thereabouts. grin.gif

I just started collecting comic books.

30 copies of Ultimate Spiderman issue #33

30 copies of Ultimates #2

30 copies of Origin #1

10 to 20 years from now: Are these issues a great buy or a bust?????

As far as these being worth anything in 20 years, I think that 10.0 you have right now has the best chance. The funny thing is depending how the market goes, which really is quite unpredictable, you may be able to sell that 10.0 now for more than you will in 20 years. Why?

10.0's are still quite rare and an oddity. Don't think that will be the case in 20 years. But that's just my opinion.

893offtopic1.gif yeah, yeah I know. But he asked.

gossip.gif

Ya' know, you just got here and this might not be a bad topic for your first post. (Will 10.0's be worth more in 20 years time than they are now?)

Welcome to the forum. grin.gif

I bought ASM #129 when I was 6 years old. It was purchased at the Lee King Drug-Store in Newnan, Georgia, the one that Alan Jackson mentions in his song " The Little Man"...

It would still go at about a 7.0. Not bad, considering...

Doesn't count, as he no longer owns it. Certainly a top candidate if the question was how much over cover price were you able to sell a comic to a collector that you paid cover price for. That is an amazing sale. WOW!

what do you mean I no longer own it? frown.gif I still have an Origin 1 CGC 10.0 - unless, nina, you snuck in my house and absconded with it tongue.gif

I don't have the one that sold, that is correct. But I'm figuring it's still worth something, as you said 10.0s may be of interest 20 years down the road..

or they were used for insulation in walls of their house when new rooms were built. Hmmm, I'm off to get a sledge hammer, I wonder if the the owners wink.gif really need that wall. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

OMG! 893whatthe.gif

My house was built in 1965... hmmm, wonder what kind of insulation I'd find.... hmmmm... must.. resist... urge... to... tear... out... walls......